Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

CIS - Lyson

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    davidbailie
    davidbailie e2 Member 11451 forum postsdavidbailie vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Feb 2009 - 7:38 PM

I was prettty negative recently about 3rd party inks having tried them somewhile back with my Canon Printer and with lousy results - someone contradicted my opinion suggesting I did further research! - I have without much info

Has anyone any authorative info on Lyson Inks in particular with regard to Epson and continuous ink systems - I am about to buy a R2880 - tho I note Lyson are still developing their CIS for the R2880.

thanks db

Last Modified By davidbailie at 15 Feb 2009 - 7:39 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Feb 2009 - 7:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    15 Feb 2009 - 8:26 PM

I use a Lyson CIS on an Epson 2400. To date I have put around 1500 A4 sheets throught the system. Printer profiles available from your CIS supplier, 1 free then pay for others if needed. I find the system good but have spent a long time tweaking profiles to get good results. Not worried now as I have a 3800 for high quality prints and 2400 is relegated to non critical work. Only changed to a CIS when I knew I was buying another printer otherwise I would have stayed with Epson original inks and added the extra running costs to my print prices.

davidbailie
    davidbailie e2 Member 11451 forum postsdavidbailie vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Feb 2009 - 8:47 PM

Thanks Pat

Yes what one would hope for is a an efficient enough profile without infinite tweaking - It is interesting (and informative) that few on this site seem to know or talk much about or apparently use 3rd party inks .

If I had the turn over to justify the 4880 I would go for it as ink costs are dramtically reduced using the 220ml cartridges

thanks for the info

db

Last Modified By davidbailie at 15 Feb 2009 - 8:48 PM
    User_Removed
    15 Feb 2009 - 9:03 PM

In fairness I never got round to getting my free profile and I am printing on paper from PPD, very low cost but works well. Should have mentioned that profiles for epson papers are included, free profile is for other paper.

If you do not need roll paper facility then look at the 3880. Big advantage is low ink cost when changing from matt to gloss black. 4880 woud be very expensive in this regard, even with big tanks.

Sounds like you are selling prints so I would think twice before going down the CIS route. However my normal workflow involves scanning watercolours, editing and printing. Can't get away with much in the way of colour shift or my customers start asking why. If precise matching is not important then CIS would be a good solution. Hope I am not confusing you Smile

My CIS was from http://www.marrutt.com/

davidbailie
    15 Feb 2009 - 9:25 PM

Not at all - you're simply confirming my own doubts- Smile

Indeed I saw the free profile element - and were I to go that route I'd go via Marrutt

ty

db

Last Modified By davidbailie at 15 Feb 2009 - 9:27 PM
    Photogeek
    Photogeek  9605 forum posts Wales6 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Feb 2009 - 9:30 PM

There is nothing to stop you getting the CIS system and then buying the 4880 Epson cartridges and transferring the ink . . .Although I know this has been done on the 4800 I'm not suer about the newer models

davidbailie
    15 Feb 2009 - 9:48 PM

Quote: buying the 4880 Epson cartridges and transferring the ink

Defeats the object of the excercise which is cost of ink - I'm not attracted to CIS for it's own sake!

cheers

db

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.