Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

City and Guilds Improvers Photography

12 May 2009 3:33PM
Is anyone doing the city and guilds improvers photography? If so, do you find you get much help from your tutor regarding your workbook? I am due to hand in my workbook at the end of this month and have very little done for it as I find I have to research everything myself and find that the practical and underpinning knowledge questions seem to duplicate themselves, is anyone else having problems completing this?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Diana e2
8 2.0k 19 Netherlands
12 May 2009 4:09PM
i done something like this for digital darkroom which never got me past the use of the spot healing brush and clone tool. I then had to write up a folder full of info that really meant very little ...except for providing statistics to the govt, that the course aims had been met to secure further funding ...grab what you have learned and ditch the folder Wink
Imagine23 8 241 United Kingdom
12 May 2009 4:19PM
I did a C&G course and it was so bad I made a massive fuss and got my money back. Maybe you should try that to Smile
Diana e2
8 2.0k 19 Netherlands
12 May 2009 4:21PM
imagine did you really get a refund..how?

Id love to do that for mine it was just so bad
12 May 2009 4:29PM
I wrote a letter to the head of the college saying I wanted to terminate my course and expected my money back as the teaching was so poor. He then arranged a meeting with me and had a go at fobbing me off, I was having non of it though and I said unless I got one I would officially report them through the C&G website. A cheque arrived though the post two days later!
12 May 2009 4:30PM
I thought it was a case of my teacher being so poor but it seems its a wide spread problem!
12 May 2009 4:37PM
I'm so glad to hear your replies, I thought it was just me!
I don't want to give up now as I've only a few weeks until I finish up, plus I completed the B&W course last year and received a credit but I won't get my full certificate until I finish this year also. Then apparently to make matters worse the course has changed from next year on and there isn't as much writing to do as they realise it's more about taking photographs !!!! just my luck.
Do any of your recommend any other courses which would help me further my photography, bearing in mind I've 2 young children and work full-time !!!!
Diana e2
8 2.0k 19 Netherlands
12 May 2009 4:37PM
hmmmm I have finished mine not done the folder and cant be ar**sd to complete it ..you complained in the middle of the course then?......trouble is I really liked my tutor ...was only a cheapo course but thats not the point.....seems it is widespread yes....it is about statistics for funding rather then teaching...

did you get a full refund ?
Diana e2
8 2.0k 19 Netherlands
12 May 2009 4:39PM
depends what you want to learn you have no images up so cant see where you are at
12 May 2009 4:56PM
I'm having difficulty uploading my images i'm being told they're too big and need to be JPEG - which they are ! any tips?
I have the same problem I really like my tutor also and feel bad about complaining and as you say the course only cost 90. I'll just have to try and get my head down and get the folder finished.
Diana e2
8 2.0k 19 Netherlands
12 May 2009 6:00PM
there are uploading guidelines somewhere esp when you upload it will tell you the size to upload if it is incorrect

I dont feel bad about complaining i would like to know if I do bother to get involved in all that paperwork I am likely to win

just go out and take pics thats the best way to learn
mohikan22 10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
12 May 2009 6:36PM
"just go out and take pics thats the best way to learn"

Its exactly how i learnt!! Thanx to EPZ members/site. if it wasnt for here my images would be a loss. I may not of sold many (6 online in 5 years) BUT for me its all about being ABLE to do it take them rather than point and shoot.
13 May 2009 10:09AM
Well I went to my course last night and explained to my tutor that I was having some difficulties in completing the workbook so thankfully he sat with me and went through each outcome so I now have some clarity - just a lot of work to do !!!!

Just had a look at some of your photographs - they're brill ! Feel quite embarrased now to post mine as they are no where near your standard !!!!
Diana e2
8 2.0k 19 Netherlands
13 May 2009 10:53AM
well done, should have helped you all the way through though

post them up and get feedback, you will change and grow very quickly, and dont forget we are always our own worst critics...
13 May 2009 11:18AM
I'm still having difficulties in uploading the photos, will keep trying !

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.