Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

City Centre Parking.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
30 Jul 2012 - 2:49 PM

I have just received my FREE parking sticker from our Council.

They are issuing all local residents a windscreen sticker to allow FREE parking from 10:00am till midnight at all Council owned car parks until March 2013.

The idea being to "encourage ...residents to shop locally...support retail outlets.....other facilities".

One of the best ideas that our dozy Council have had for years. Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jul 2012 - 2:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ChrisStyles
ChrisStyles e2 Member 6381 forum postsChrisStyles vcard United Kingdom
30 Jul 2012 - 4:01 PM

The bus service here is a nightmare to... at one time you paid by how many stops you went so one stop would be say 30p and into town 2.00 but now you pay the full amount what ever amount of stops you goSad

collywobles
30 Jul 2012 - 6:41 PM

I dont think parking is the issue with local shops and shopping. I go to Shopping Malls because there is a much better choice, prices can be a lot cheaper, and its all in one place, and I can possibly just pay once rather than traul around several shops paying many time. I certainly do go to Shopping Malls because they provide free parking.

thewilliam
30 Jul 2012 - 6:42 PM

A few years back, I spent a couple of weeks in Berlin and their public transport network can only be described as fantastic. People hardly use their cars.

On average, we Brits put a greater mileage on our cars than anyone else in Europe. The Dutch and Danes love their pedal-bikes but cycling in the UK is tantamount to suicide.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 30 Jul 2012 - 6:43 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014807 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2012 - 10:18 PM

Nederlands is a bit flatter than Yorkshire and therefore easier for cycling Wink

The hill up to morley is a nightmare on a bike... nearly 3 miles long too

robsweet82
7 Aug 2012 - 8:36 AM

In Newport (South Wales) all of the city centre car parks are council owned and they have free parking for the first 2 hours, then a charge from hour 3. On the occasions I do need to go to town this suits me fine.

We also have smaller car parks (less than 50 spaces) around the city and the Council charge 10p for 2 hours parking.

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
7 Aug 2012 - 9:04 AM

Why do Councils always 'save' money by putting up charges? Why not get rid of a whole layer of middle management, just like the private sector does on occasion, and save a fortune. It has happened regularly. Where I used to work, the layer immediately above me was scrapped and we were told 'find better ways to mange the workload' and you know, soon we did, so the same would work if the massively overstaffed councils did the same. I also feel sure that a lot of the upper and senior management could be scrapped without any instructions being necessary.

Massive savings could be achieved by scrapping special initiatives and concentrating on supplying the core services they are there to provide and maintain. Then like a lot of us agree, parking could be controlled, but free in order to generate and maintain expenditure with businesses. Town centre parking charges have the effect of pushing the paying customers to out of town supermarkets, who then create almost a monopoly by squeezing businesses like the farmers who produce milk. What a difference free parking could have made were it operational some years ago.

One other thing worthy of mention, approximately 30% of council tax collected is earmarked for pension payments.

collywobles
7 Aug 2012 - 7:53 PM

Quote: parking could be controlled, but free

Why would you make it free when motorists are prepared to pay for leaving their car to go shopping? Its a business to create revenues and if the councils did not do this you would be complaining that your Councils Taxes were too high. Its just like people who live near railway stations who charge people to park on their drive for the day -- opportunity pricing! Or -- as the Olympics (and Wimbledon) is topical, people who rent out their house for a couple thousand while the events are on --

Quote: Town centre parking charges have the effect of pushing the paying customers to out of town supermarkets

I do not know anyone who goes out of town shopping due to local parking charges - its a misbelief. In anticipation of your response -- local shops would not gain a great deal if parking was free because people prefer to go out of town to large supermarkets and get everything in one place, pay only once, get it packed, and wheel it out to the car! - its certainly not because towns charge for parking.

As for middle management, thats an old complaint and is easy to put forward without understandind the whole work place structure.

Quote: One other thing worthy of mention, approximately 30% of council tax collected is earmarked for pension payments.

Yes and if you were a local government employee - you would be grateful too.

Focus_Man
8 Aug 2012 - 9:14 AM

Quote: As for middle management, thats an old complaint and is easy to put forward without understandind the whole work place structure.

I doubt anybody within the private sector could ever understand the inefficient way in which a council goes about its business. As I said, councils should stick to core business (Tha'ts what the private sector does so well) and stop the crazy empire building and pet schemes (should they be called 'wheezes') they are so capable of dreaming up. It is easy to run such things a whatever the cost, the tax payer has to stump up. In the private sector, such things have to be financed by sales, otherwise they do not happen.

I am not having a go at you personally, but a lot of local businesses, local to us that is, went 'bust' when Tesco built a Supermarket just 5 miles away - out of town. Having had a small business, a successful one fortunately, I can understand the rancour and heartache it caused those owners. So it most certainly does happen. As Chris Styles mooted, free parking would assist businesses. Creating more business in town centres raises more money in Business taxes and so pays for the less of parking revenue experienced.

Council bosses need to get real - to be paid more to run a council than the PM gets to run the country just shows who is extracting the Michael and why out taxes are so high. Get rid of loads of tghem and run councils for thebenefit of the tax payers not the employees.

Apo0logies - rant over.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
8 Aug 2012 - 9:26 AM

I live in Cambridge where charges are very high but it still does not stop the roads being clogged up with cars so making them cheaper will make things much worse. Too many people can't be arsed to bike, or walk to the nearest bus stop and quite rightly should be made to pay for being such lazy sods.

And why anyone would chose to drive when one of the aims was to drink beer is beyond me.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014137 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
8 Aug 2012 - 9:40 AM

Quote: I doubt anybody within the private sector could ever understand the inefficient way in which a council goes about its business. As I said, councils should stick to core business (Tha'ts what the private sector does so well) and stop the crazy empire building and pet schemes (should they be called 'wheezes') they are so capable of dreaming up. It is easy to run such things a whatever the cost, the tax payer has to stump up. In the private sector, such things have to be financed by sales, otherwise they do not happen.

Oh spare us from the myth of the terribly efficent private sector please. I have worked for loads of private and public sector organisations and I can't say I have ever noticed this mythical efficency. I have seen millions p*ssed away on peoples empire building and vanity projects in the private sector.
A lot of the inefficencies in councils come from central government dictats and initiatives, redirecting local resources to whatever the government want to look good at that moment.

Focus_Man
8 Aug 2012 - 11:03 AM

Quote: Oh spare us from the myth of the terribly efficent private sector please. .

No 'MYTH'.

keith selmes
8 Aug 2012 - 11:58 AM

Is this a good time to mention banks and railways ?

Focus_Man
8 Aug 2012 - 12:57 PM

Banks are super efficient, that is the problem. Despite being bailed out they are still reporting record profits. Railways of course have not yet recovered from their nationalised identity. Ttey still act like they were nationalised with the same union requirements being demanded and met. I guess that will remain until Jimmy Knapp, their Union Trotskyite leader retires. Meanwhile railtrack which seems to cause all their other problems is still in public ownership.

This is my last word on the subject as it seems to be developing into a personalised arguement.

thewilliam
8 Aug 2012 - 1:06 PM

Quote: Banks are super efficient, that is the problem. Despite being bailed out they are still reporting record profits.

The banks seem to be like the prodigal son - happy to spend freely when he makes money but runs to Daddy when he loses and needs bailing out.

Not really the type of "efficiency" that I'd regognise because I run a business in the real world. If I mess things up, I'll hungry at the very least.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.