Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

City Centre Parking.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
thewilliam
15 Sep 2012 - 12:41 AM

I sometimes wonder whether the big supermarkets have bought our government, local and national.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Sep 2012 - 12:41 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

monstersnowman
15 Sep 2012 - 5:03 AM

They dont need to ... the people holding the power are shoppers. Stop shopping there and they wont have any power whatsoever. We put them where they are and we keep them there every time we shop there. If I had a pound for every post I have read, moaning about supermarkets, I would be rich but my answer is always the same - stop shopping with them today and tomorrow they will be in sh*t street. We deserve them because we have the most powerful weapon possible (our spending habits) but we just can't be arsed to do anything about them except wring our hands and decry the loss of honest, hard working high street grocers.

Newdevonian
15 Sep 2012 - 12:43 PM

I have read this thread though and seen some good sense and some total b*****ks!
My only comment is, if I have to pay to park my car, I don't go there! I suspect I am not unique.

thewilliam
15 Sep 2012 - 1:08 PM

If I have to pay to park my car, I try to avoid going there. If I can't avoid it, I stay for the shortest possible time and that means no dalliance in a coffee shop or browsing in other shops.

montechoro
montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2012 - 3:02 PM

Compared to the cost of the shopping, the cost of parking is minimal.

I haven't got a problem with paying to park.

A lot of shops where I live will credit you with the parking fee if you spend enough in their shops - so the shops are trying to help the motorists.

Others have a local "credit" card - you get points for buying in local shops only (not high street names or franchises) and you can cash the "points" in against future purchases as they build up.

Going somewhere else to avoid parking charges is cutting one's nose off really.

Last Modified By montechoro at 15 Sep 2012 - 3:03 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214407 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2012 - 3:07 PM

Quote: City Centre Parking

The only problem I`ve found with city parking is that its far to cheap.

ChrisStyles
15 Sep 2012 - 3:17 PM

You have a push bikeGrin

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214407 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2012 - 3:21 PM

No it just seems that all those that complain about paying for parking pay anyway.

Our car parks are always full to the brim, and the roads are all over congested, free parking what use is that.

lemmy
lemmy  61676 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Sep 2012 - 5:08 PM

Quote: No it just seems that all those that complain about paying for parking pay anyway..

You wouldn't expect people who don't pay to complain, would you? Wink

mdpontin
mdpontin  96016 forum posts Scotland
15 Sep 2012 - 10:19 PM

Quote: ...we just can't be arsed to do anything about them except wring our hands and decry the loss of honest, hard working high street grocers.

A lot of people recognise that we have lost something valuable, and bemoan that loss. However, for very many people, lower prices are not something that can be easily ignored, particularly in the current economic climate. Having the ultimate sanction is all well and good, provided you can afford to use it!

monstersnowman
17 Sep 2012 - 9:04 AM

I think we'd be surprised how you can buy cheaper produce from non-supermarket stores if people bothered to look. I know that bread, milk, fruit, frozen goods, biscuits, dried goods etc etc are all cheaper in smaller local stores than Our supermarket. And the price deals found in the big supermarkets are carefully crafted ... Ie prices upped for a while before a reduction, general prices that are not so good value interspersed with occasional offers. Cheap, good value shopping usually CAN be done in small shops if you try. If you don't try then you have to accept the presence of big supermarkets and the loss of smaller local high street stores. It's our choice.

collywobles
17 Sep 2012 - 6:17 PM

Quote: If you don't try then you have to accept the presence of big supermarkets and the loss of smaller local high street stores. It's our choice.

We do and thats why local shops are in decline and why supermarkets and shopping malls are so popular.

lemmy
lemmy  61676 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Sep 2012 - 6:48 PM

The notion that local shops are always better quality than supermarkets is far from true. As is the notion that supermarkets are always cheaper.

Up the road from me in London was an excellent bakers shop. Then a new owner came in and suddenly the bread was no better than the supermarkets. The big difference, a tin loaf in the supermarket is £1.20 and in the bakers £1.65. I was happy to pay £1.65 for a good loaf but I'm not for the pap that passes for bread there now.

When I'm in France, as I am now, I buy bread at the boulangerie that no supermarket will ever equal. In France, where you see 'artisan boulanger', the bread must by law be made entirely on the premises, not frozen dough delivereed to the premises like the supermarkets and non-artisan boulangeries. Thus each boulangerie makes bread that is different from the others and you find the one that makes the bread the way you like it. I buy a 'tradition' here and just eat it on its own. It's not cheap but it is worth every cent it costs.

I just don't think that the average British customer is that bothered by the quality of the food they eat.

thewilliam
17 Sep 2012 - 7:27 PM

Good food has always been the birthright of every Frenchman. In the UK, good food has traditionally been just for the rich. Why else would Brits put up with what passes for food in this country?

Rev2
Rev2  4201 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2012 - 8:21 PM

Quote: When I'm in France, as I am now, I buy bread at the boulangerie that no supermarket will ever equal. In France, where you see 'artisan boulanger', the bread must by law be made entirely on the premises, not frozen dough delivereed to the premises like the supermarkets and non-artisan boulangeries. Thus each boulangerie makes bread that is different from the others and you find the one that makes the bread the way you like it. I buy a 'tradition' here and just eat it on its own. It's not cheap but it is worth every cent it costs.

I couldn't agree more. I've recently returned from a holiday in Brittany, last month I was in Normandy and we lived on bread and cheese (and beer Tongue) but what struck me the most was not having to pay to park! The castle overlooking Dieppe - free parking. The cliff top museum in Etretat - free parking.

If either place was in the UK you'd be looking at £3 - £4. My local reservoir now charges £2.50 to park, now morons who don't know how to drive park on the verges outside blocking the way so you have to drive up the kerb to get into the lay-by.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.