Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Classified Scam?

backbeat e2
8 134 1 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2009 7:51PM
I recently put an expensive lens for sale on the EPZ classified, and after a couple of days got an email from a guy who said he was on holiday in India (1st red flag), but had an english address i could send the lens to. He had a website address also www.hazysunimages.com.

My browser picked up his mail as being possible 'phishing' (2nd Red flag). He asked for my bank details so he could transfer the money (3rd red flag).

All my instincts told me to leave well alone, but i told him that i would only send the lens if the money was paid via paypal and cleared into my bank account before posting the lens out. He mailed back saying that was fine, and has sent an e-cheque to paypal for the full amount. As i said, i'm not going to send the lens out till all the cash is safely nestled in my bank account, but i still wonder...am i missing something here?...is it a scam that i'm not aware of where he can get the money back??

Any advise would be most welcome...

yours nervously

Phil

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

col.campbell 11 818 4 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2009 8:45PM
My browser (Firefox) is up-to-date and has phishing & malware protection built-in and it didn't pick up anything suspicious. A quick google search didn't turn up anything either, but I'm no expert, I might be looking in the wrong places.

Why not contact Paypal and ask them direct to address your concern, or even empty your Paypal account before sending? (Do Paypal allow you to go in the red? Or would it be the case that they can't defraud you of money that isn't in your account? Wink)

Failing all else, hopefully someone smarter than I will come along with better advice.
backbeat e2
8 134 1 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2009 9:02PM
thanks col...i'm sure it will be fine now actually, but i just wondered in case there was something i hadn't considered..

phil
rikewoo 11 346 1 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2009 9:37PM
Was a previous posting of someone who had been paid by Paypal for the buyer to state his account had been hacked. Result was that Paypal debited the sellers account for the full amount, so the seller was out of pocket, not only for the money but for the lens as well. He had sent it off once the money was in his account, transferred it to his bank account. So be careful, not sure how you can go about being certain that it is a genuine sale and not a scam.

Contact Paypal with your concerns before posting the itme.
Ken
backbeat e2
8 134 1 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2009 10:00PM
thanks ken...very interesting, You dont have a link to the thread you mentioned by any chance?

Phil
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
19 Dec 2009 10:02PM
Here is one.

Here is another.

Echeque takes much much longer to clear.
Just make sure the money transfer is complete and money in your bank account before sending it. And also make sure you send it by special delivery or something with a proof.
BEVZED e2
7 1.1k United Kingdom
19 Dec 2009 10:05PM
or this one?

(turned out ok in the end I think ...)
backbeat e2
8 134 1 United Kingdom
20 Dec 2009 9:42PM
thanks all....i think it will be safe enough as soon as the cash is in my bank, but i'll tread carefully..

Phil
I think you've become a little paranoid Wink
The fact that he was in India on holiday but had a UK address shouldn't alarm you.
You can check an electoral roll to see he lives where he said.
He has a website which has his name, so you know if he's the person you're corresponding with.
A bank transfer is probably the safest way to take a payment.
He uses Nikon equipment and you were selling a Nikon lens.
I love the classifieds on here, and apart from one email asking me if I'd send my Sekonic Lightmeter to Nigeria all of my transactions have been first class and trouble free.
PS the light meter is still for sale Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.