Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

cleaning

KONIN e2
3 252 England
29 Apr 2012 11:55AM
hi can any tell me if these are ok to clean my lenses on my camera i bought them from a cheapy shop they are called perfect vision glasses wipes it says they contain ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL,ERADICATOR AND DISTILLED WATER. only problem it says on the rear of the packet AVOID CONTACT WITH SKIN does this mean i have to use aspestos gloves to handle the wipes,thanks stu

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ikett e2
4 372 England
29 Apr 2012 12:00PM
Don't think I'd risk itWink
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
29 Apr 2012 12:36PM
I've found that the best thing for lens cleaning is an old cotton handkerchief that has been washed so many times that it'd cloud-soft. First remove any grit with a gentle blast of air, then breath onto the lens surface so that it mists up. Then wipe gently with a scrunched up handkerchief.

In more demanding cases, use a squirt of Calotherm fluid bought from an optician.

Better still keep yor lenses clean by fitting a UV filter.
looboss e2
8 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2012 12:54PM
I used to use a similar type of micro fiber cloth to clean my lenses, but found that over time it wore away at my protective coating on the lens, now I used specialized special cleaning tissues & a blower if its just surface dust i need to remove.
29 Apr 2012 1:40PM
Come on you all use your T shirt really and as your doing it you think to yourselves "Just this once will be OK" Smile
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2012 1:57PM
wirewool soaked in wd40 might work on Canon lenses Grin
Phil
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
29 Apr 2012 2:25PM

Quote:Wirewool soaked in wd40 might work on Canon lenses Grin
Phil

It does! The result is, they look like Nikon lenses.
ikett e2
4 372 England
29 Apr 2012 3:51PM

Quote:wirewool soaked in wd40 might work on Canon lenses Grin
Phil

Quote:It does! The result is, they look like Nikon lenses.

lol Smile
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
29 Apr 2012 4:51PM

Quote:only problem it says on the rear of the packet AVOID CONTACT WITH SKIN

Elf & Safety gone mad again. Isopropanol is a mild solvent & can dissolve the natural fats on the skin causing dryness. In a very few extreme cases it can cause itching & dermatitis with prolonged contact. The length of time you would be handling the wipes should not be a problem unless your skin is extemely sensitive.
hobbo e2
3 892 2 England
29 Apr 2012 5:14PM
I use lens wipes from SPECSAVERS...............I checked first, they are designed for camera lenses or any other lens:

Hobbo

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.