Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Cleaning film

steebi 13 63 United Kingdom
6 Jul 2002 9:22PM
This might seem to be back to basics but in all the time I've been taking photographs I have not found the need to clean negs or slides with anything but water with maybe a little wetting agent in. Now as I'm scanning my work and seeing the problem of dust and dirt at greater magnification I need some good advice on the subject of cleaning before I ruin some. I have a few transparencies which I have failed in cleaning properly and am hoping to save. I don't want to do anything drastic though the dirt looks to have become engrained in the emulsion. Can somone recommend a cleaning agent/method? Thanks, Steve.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jrt 13 27
7 Jul 2002 9:45AM
Hi why try to clean the negs at all if you are scanning them.Just blow the dust off.Only the most expensive film scanners will clean dust and dirt marks off.I just use JASC 7 dust and dirt cleaning facilities. Or the one i prefer and i find easiest is Microsoft Photodraw. It does take a while to work your way down the picture,but it will be spotless.All the marks cloned out.Hope this helps.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.