Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cleaning my camera ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Bloggs
Bloggs  2313 forum posts England
18 Dec 2011 - 10:43 PM

I now have my camera so what do you wonderful people suggest i use to keep my camera and lens clean ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Dec 2011 - 10:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2011 - 10:56 PM

A microfibre cloth works as well as anything.

BigRick
BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
18 Dec 2011 - 11:11 PM

camera body.... baby wipe

camera lens glass.... proper lens cleaning solution, and dedicated wipes and drying cloth, in a circular motion NOT straight across. Smile

Bloggs
18 Dec 2011 - 11:20 PM

Thx guys ... it will be interesting to see how everyone does it.

Jestertheclown
18 Dec 2011 - 11:32 PM

Bleach, wire brush, brillo pads, Harpic.

Seriously, As Rick says, baby wipes or make-up removing wipes work well on the outsides and I use a soft toothbrush to get dust etc. out of all the crevices.
I've never tried dedicated cleaning gear on lenses, I always treat them as I do my specs. I clean the outer element, in my case, a UV filter, with breath and a child's soft cotton T-shirt. I've never had cause to clean the element at the other end.
Dried out wet-wipes (leave a couple on the radiator for an evening or two), work very well as spectacle/glass cloths too.
I haven't had cause to clean out the inside yet, although a blower brush is on the Christmas list.

User_Removed
18 Dec 2011 - 11:45 PM

Don't put any chemicals onto your glass. Buy one of these, they are absolutely brilliant.

Bloggs
19 Dec 2011 - 8:20 AM

Thx Jester , Chris comments noted thx for taking the time. As for brillo pads !!! hmmmm lol

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63279 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2011 - 11:14 AM

I find jewellers rouge is great for polishing out those scratches on the lens. Wink

darrensmithgbr
19 Dec 2011 - 11:37 AM

pop into specsavers (or other well known optician) and get a lens cloth for the glass of your lens. a simple damp cloth alwasy suffices for the body of the camera, I agree with bigrick about the circular motion rather than straight across on the glass

Bloggs
19 Dec 2011 - 7:36 PM

Thanks guys .....sounds like good advice Grin

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2011 - 8:13 PM

Is everyone so sure about the baby wipe advice? During the summer months when I'm out on my motorbike my helmet gets absolutely covered in splattered bugs. I've tried loads of ways to remove them but by far and a way the best product is baby wipes. Nothing else manages to remove them so quickly and effectively and it has always made me grateful that they hadn't been invented when my a*se needed cleaning. God knows what's on them but it's the best bug dissolver I've come across and not something I'd want to put near my camera. They also tend to leave a slight residue, which on a helmet can be cleaned off easily but on a camera; well, I'm not so sure. I'm just urging a bit of caution, that's all.

BigRick
19 Dec 2011 - 8:22 PM

Quote: Is everyone so sure about the baby wipe advice? During the summer months when I'm out on my motorbike my helmet gets absolutely covered in splattered bugs. I've tried loads of ways to remove them but by far and a way the best product is baby wipes. Nothing else manages to remove them so quickly and effectively and it has always made me grateful that they hadn't been invented when my a*se needed cleaning. God knows what's on them but it's the best bug dissolver I've come across and not something I'd want to put near my camera. They also tend to leave a slight residue, which on a helmet can be cleaned off easily but on a camera; well, I'm not so sure. I'm just urging a bit of caution, that's all.

if you read the packet, they are 99% water.... it is more how they are constructed, than whats on them that makes them so effective at cleaning..... if they had anything bad on them, you wouldnt be able to use them on new born babies skin would you. Tongue

Jestertheclown
19 Dec 2011 - 8:26 PM

Quote: I'm just urging a bit of caution, that's all.

I've used them on a visor in the past and yes, the do work well. I used to follow that with a squirt of furniture polish and a duster.
I only ever use them on the outside surface of the camera though.
I accidentally got one on my glasses once and it took forever to get rid of the smears so I'd never use them anywhere near glass.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2011 - 8:40 PM

Quote: if you read the packet, they are 99% water.... it is more how they are constructed, than whats on them that makes them so effective at cleaning..... if they had anything bad on them, you wouldnt be able to use them on new born babies skin would you. Tongue

Hmmm. Well, when I tried 100% water and kitchen roll on my motorbike helmet it had no impact on the bugs. Neither did washing-up liquid and neither did umpteen other cleaning products. It's what's in that 1% that worries me. I'm just urging a little bit of caution that's all.

Having said that, if people have used them on cameras and are happy, then great. I don't imagine they would want their "babies" harmed.

BigRick
19 Dec 2011 - 8:48 PM

some brands use Alcohol in them, but its down to reading the label, as there CAN be all sorts of stuff in them Sad, but well known brands, labelled correctly have no harmful ingredients, and i have been using baby wipes on my camera gear for about 10 years now, with no ill effects,.....

and as far as using numerous other products on your motorcycle helmet, i hope they were all safe to use with the material that the helmet was made of, as alot of cleaning products can weaken the outer shell of them and make them unsafe. Also washing up liquid has such a high salt content, that it perishes rubber (the seal around the visor in particular) and makes them leak.Sad

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.