Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cleaning Up

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 12:14 PM

I've owned my current PC (Windows Vista Home Premium OS) for about 4 years and feel it needs speeding up a bit. I have downloaded CCleaner Portable as it seems to get good reviews and doesn't require installation.

But I'm a bit worried about removing things from the computer (in particular, registry items) when I don't actually have a clue what purpose they serve, or have served, and the name of the item provides no clue. Whilst I'm not IT-illiterate, I'm certainly no techie and don't want to cause myself unnecessary problems by tampering with things best left alone!

An (IT-illiterate) friend's PC (Windows XP) has almost ground to a halt and I was thinking if I can learn how to speed up my own PC, I may be able to speed his up as well.

Has anyone had experience of using these sort of software tools? Thanks. Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Oct 2012 - 12:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

paulcookphotography

If your computer is a few years old I would look at upgrading the RAM of your machine. These days 2gb is a minimum, but many machines are now running on 6, 8 or more.

You would have to check the specs of your computer to see what type of RAM it uses and by how much it can be upgraded.

You might also want to check that the software, operating system and other system resources are updated to the latest version

Jestertheclown
26 Oct 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hi CB,
I've had CC installed for years.
I run it about once a week and it does clear out a lot of old stuff.
As for the registry cleaner, I only use it occasionally, usually after I've installed or uninstalled something like 'MS Office,' which always leaves behind a hell of a mess.
I've never had a problem with anything not working properly as a result of using it.

Bren.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 12:42 PM

Thanks Paul and Bren. Smile

Quote: I would look at upgrading the RAM of your machine

I have 4Gb of RAM, so not too worried about that at the mo. I don't think it's upgradable anyway.

Quote: As for the registry cleaner, I only use it occasionally, usually after I've installed or uninstalled something like 'MS Office,' which always leaves behind a hell of a mess.
I've never had a problem with anything not working properly as a result of using it.

Do you let it remove everything which comes up after the registry analysis, or are you selective in any way?

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53579 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 1:01 PM

The best speed up is a full reinstall of everything, and see davidburleson post on win 8 - 2 birds with one stone comes to mind.

Ccleaner was great, watch out for extra tick boxes that may ask to be installed.

The next best thing (after RAM) is to defrag your system - vista may do this automatically but XP does not.
Also ensure the HD has at least 25% free space.

Emptying temporary internet files often speed things up a bit, and running disk cleanup.
Uninstalling any unused programs, and checking that what starts up automatically really need to.

I'm assuming you have a reputable upto date antivirus program like windows security essentials, AVG, or Sophos - to ensure you are free from adware etc.

But there does come to a time where all PC's need replacing...

Carabosse
26 Oct 2012 - 1:07 PM

Thanks Stuart. I do routinely clean up, and then defrag/optimise using third party software (Auslogics). HD is two-thirds free, so no probs there. I use Avast AV.

Looks like it can't harm to give CCleaner a go.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 1:26 PM

If your machine has slowed down it might be worth running the security scanner as it might find stuff your AV has missed.

Quote: But I'm a bit worried about removing things from the computer (in particular, registry items) when I don't actually have a clue what purpose they serve, or have served, and the name of the item provides no clue.

The disk cleaner is pretty safe its the registry cleaner is the place where (potentially) things can go wrong. Having said that I have used it hundreds of times over the years and never has it messed things up (which is more than I can say for some other reg cleaners I have used), Though only once has it noticeable improved things.
I wouldn't hesitate to run it on any machine.

Jestertheclown
26 Oct 2012 - 1:34 PM

Quote: Do you let it remove everything which comes up after the registry analysis, or are you selective in any way?

I let it remove everything that it finds and as I say, it's never caused me a problem.
I'm with Chris, I'd use it without hesitation, although, also like Chris, I've never seen an improvement in performance because of it.
De-fragging; I use Smart defrag, seems to do a better job of that.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 1:37 PM

Quote: I let it remove everything that it finds

ditto

Newdevonian
26 Oct 2012 - 2:06 PM

I have used all sections of CC Cleaner and Defraggler monthly for the past 3-4 years. No problems. Its a bit of a pain always having to download the latest version of each.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72194 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 2:06 PM

I recently used a trial version of 'AVG 1-click maintenance', which I was very impressed with, an have now bought it.

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3287 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 2:10 PM

Another vote for Ccleaner,never had a problem with it.

For peace of mind, the Registry Cleaner offers the choice of backing up the changed Registry files to disc, then if anything goes wrong, these can be restored. I always backup, then keep them for a week or or two,but have never had to use the backup.

franken
franken e2 Member 113098 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 2:28 PM

I use Ccleaner and have never had a problem with it. A point worth mentioning here you are prompted to back up any registry items before you delete and you can if you wish.

I run it every week and have been doing so for years(with XP) and its never been a problem.

It also has the ability to stop programs running at start-up if you wish.

Ken

Carabosse
26 Oct 2012 - 2:30 PM

Many thanks guys. I have now used CCleaner, including the registry cleaner - after taking a backup - and, well........ I'm still here! Wink

I've also disabled a few, fairly obvious, things in startup and have not had any probs with that either.

Given me a bit more confidence to tackle my friend's (even older) PC, although I suspect a complete OS reinstall and upgrade of RAM might be needed, ultimately - or a new PC!

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104009 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 4:09 PM

it might also be worth running `Belarc Advisor' to find out exactly what you have on your system. It tells you if you need any security upgrades and when you last used a piece of software...and much much more Smile

Last Modified By cats_123 at 26 Oct 2012 - 4:10 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.