Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

close up photography

16 May 2012 7:47PM
Hi can anyone out there tell me which compact camera is best for macro . I like to photograph butterflies and would like to use a compact camera when out walking in countryside , and take a few close up pics.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikesavage e2
12 260 2 England
16 May 2012 8:51PM
Basically, look for one that has a 1cm macro facility - that's the best close-up performance you'll get from any of the zoom compacts. Having said that, getting 1cm from a butterfly without it flying off is another matter...
16 May 2012 8:59PM
thanks mikesavage. which make panasonic /nikon /canon ? which is best lense /glass
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
16 May 2012 9:21PM
All three makes are highly respected. I have the Canon S95 and it works weell for close up (min focus distance is 5cm) but the newer S100 is also excellent.
It all depends on how much you want to spend.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
16 May 2012 11:35PM
1 Jun 2012 1:43PM
ive used a fuji with macro before, i was very happy with the results.
it was a fujufilm s2000hd, which is a few years old, so i expect their macro has only gotten better.
hopefully this helps!
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
1 Jun 2012 1:59PM

Quote:I find the Fuji X10 very good, it also has super macro as well.

Ditto - one of the reasons I got the X10 was that I'd used a Fuji S7000 for a long time which also had a super macro setting which was/is excellent.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.