Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Cloth or paper backdrop?

Billlee 8 5.5k England
7 Jun 2011 7:55PM
I need to purchase a backdrop fairly quickly. I have been asked to photograph a dog show, as well as other animal 'portraits'. I am looking at a grey to dark grey backdrop, but wondered if you can recommend something not wildly expensive and to sum up the pros and cons of cloth or paper as the best for the job.
The set up will probably be in a marquee.

Thanks for your anticipated help.

Bill.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scottishphototours 10 2.6k 2 Scotland
7 Jun 2011 8:08PM
For dogs? - neither - paper tears too easily and cloth is a pain and will get ruined if it's soiled by the dogs.

What about a length of vinyl? - you can get them 2.5m wide by any length in a number of colours from Tony Beal Ltd in Glasgow - they also do delivery.
NevP 9 853 13 Canada
7 Jun 2011 8:09PM
Vinyl would probably be best.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
7 Jun 2011 8:15PM
AnthonyM 9 388 2 United States
8 Jun 2011 1:38AM
Paper is noisy and some dogs can be way too frightened to walk on it.

I use cloth.
Cloth washes.... generally. I have not had any permanent spots yet, but Photoshop would fix any "issues" should they arrive. Smile Smile

Have to agree, vinyl is best but can be expensive, especially to ship large rolls.

A big concern I've been having is the fact that some animals might unknowingly come with canine influenza!
You pretty much need to boil or bleach the backdrop to kill that stuff.
For that alone, I am looking at vinyl. Much easier to disinfect than cloth.
Billlee 8 5.5k England
9 Jun 2011 7:34PM
Thanks everyone for your advice.
Much appreciated.

Bill.
9 Jun 2011 9:37PM
You could buy a cheap plain coloured shower curtain from Argos and just drape it or pin it and after just wash it in the sink with a little bleach perhaps ?
Just a thought hope it helps Grin
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2011 8:13AM
We made a backdrop for Robbie using heavyweight blackout material. The plasticised coating stops it creasing and it is pretty cheap. We rolled it around a metal curtain pole and hang it from the normal curtain rail when we need it. We made it long enough to drop and then come out along the floor about 6 feet.

Total cost was about 10.

Ian
peati 5 11 Scotland
10 Jun 2011 8:52AM
Ikea do vinyl blackout roller blinds at various widths in black white and I think cream.

They range from about 7 to 21 with the largest being about 5ft wide.
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2011 9:15AM
The problem with ready made roller blinds (or at least it was when we were looking) is they are never long enough to form a train.
Sus 10 3.2k 9 England
10 Jun 2011 3:21PM
Having had a quick look at Tony Beal and Bessell, the link to the backdrop Cole suggests doesn't look like too bad value. Have you (or anyone else) got that backdrop Cole? Bessell seem cheap but I don't know about the quality.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
10 Jun 2011 3:58PM
Yes, I have, Sus. Takes a bit to fold it back (watched clips on youtube). But works fine.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
10 Jun 2011 5:52PM

Quote:Having had a quick look at Tony Beal and Bessell, the link to the backdrop Cole suggests doesn't look like too bad value

There`s no background support needed, that in its self is quite a good saving, the cheapest start at 70/80.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2011 8:18PM
I have 2 Bessel vinyl BG's - good vfm and good customer service.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.