Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Clothing

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
PatrickElsender
PatrickElsender e2 Member 569 forum postsPatrickElsender vcard Germany
31 Mar 2014 - 10:31 AM

Hello folks. Anyone got any good tips as to what clothing is more suitable for street photography (In warm weather then inclement weather)
Also any tips where to find a good range of pin badges relative to photography (So I can stick in my hat and look nerdy)
Thanks in advance.
Patrick. Blush

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Mar 2014 - 10:31 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
31 Mar 2014 - 12:23 PM

gotta be jokin

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3792 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2014 - 1:10 PM

Just be yourself Patrick......no need for a costume......

.....more important is to be pleasant, have a ready smile ( not a grin) and take a NO on the nose.......be as unobtrusive as possible, without hiding..........use a Prime lens to force you closer to your subjects....... Just relax and enjoy yourself.

Other than this, you could wear a Baseball cap, a turquoise Shell Suit covered in the said Nerdy badges, wear reflective shades, and carry a huge DSLR around fitted with a 400 mm zoom lens.

The choice is yours Wink

Hobbo

PatrickElsender
31 Mar 2014 - 6:20 PM

Thanks Hobbo. I have tried just observing who is wearing what so as to mingle easily, but the clothing is varied in accordance with age. I'm 70 and I have learned which way to plonk a cap on my head unlike most of todays halfwits, however there is more to it than that. I just wondered what other street togs wore thats all.
No robthecamman it is not a joke you obviously know it all, so why not pass on some of your invaluable rubbish.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64376 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
31 Mar 2014 - 7:05 PM

Hi Patrick. I do lots of street photography and the trick is to look as nondescript and ordinary as possible. If you just wear a normal, quiet anorak etc you'll just blend into the surroundings. But no hat! A dead give away. You'll stand out like a belisha beacon. Good luck. It's fun doing street stuff and I'm sure you'll soon get hooked.

Smile

PatrickElsender
1 Apr 2014 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for that SlowSong.
I tried a town walkabout this morning with a dark non descript lightweight jacket and jeans. Kept camera just at hip level and walked about as if I didn't have anything in my hands at all. Have to say you are correct, no one seemed to take any notice of me. Tomorrow I will try again and take a few shots, mainly street shots and the bus station, just to see if any reaction.
Thanks. ( No Hat) Means I will save on the pin badges then.
Patrick.

mikehit
mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2014 - 12:09 PM

One other simple tactic I heard a few months ago is to move slowly - someone walking even at normal pace and then stopping is very noticeable. Someone walking at a constant steady pace (even if slower than normal) is less noticeable when they stop; but this also gives you time to look and listen for things that are happening. This sounds sensible and obvious but it is surprising how much it changes your behaviour (and peoples' attitudes to you).

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022911 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
1 Apr 2014 - 12:16 PM

Some clothing advice hereWink

PatrickElsender
1 Apr 2014 - 8:06 PM

Keithh. Briliant, very funny, thanks, I'll heed the advice.

PatrickElsender
1 Apr 2014 - 8:10 PM

Quote: One other simple tactic I heard a few months ago is to move slowly - someone walking even at normal pace and then stopping is very noticeable. Someone walking at a constant steady pace (even if slower than normal) is less noticeable when they stop; but this also gives you time to look and listen for things that are happening. This sounds sensible and obvious but it is surprising how much it changes your behaviour (and peoples' attitudes to you).

Thanks Mike. I suppose as my confidence builds up being in the throng of crowds' etc.. I will learn the wherefores and whyfores.
Thanks again for your comment.

Coast
Coast Critique Team 61004 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom292 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2014 - 8:20 AM

Morning Patrick

Best advice I can give is learn your camera craft. Fiddling around with your camera controls slows you down as well as the possibility of bringing attention to you. Shooting from the hip as you mention is good but takes some effort to get right in terms of framing and focus; even autofocus as you need to have the focus point set in the right place.

In terms of clothes, a light jacket suffices for me. Allows me to carry an additional lens in the pocket if I need to move from the 20mm or 14-42mm to the 45-200mm telephoto. Avoids carrying a bag around although I find the messenger style (laptop type) bags don't attract attention like a big camera rucksack!

I've just swapped my GF1 for the new Olympus OMD10 and that has made street photography a bit easier. With the tilting rear screen and the camera at my waist or hip a quick look down to check the framing and click. Also in a coffee shop type environment set the camera on the table pointed and framed on the subject. Focus and shutter release done from the iPhone as it has a wifi and app to allow this. So I look like everyone else playing with their phones and tablets but am actually taking pictures! Still playing with this but looks like it opens up lots of new possibilities.

For street portraiture it's always good just to have the balls to go and ask if you can take their photograph. I just explain I'm a keen amateur photographer and have a camera club competition coming up and they'd make a great subject for me. I've only ever been refused once and even that was done politely and apologetically. This allows you to take a number of pictures or even just ask them to carry on what they are doing and click away for a minute or two. Some will ask for a copy of the photo and taking an email address and following up with sending them a pic is nice to do.

Regards
Paul

PatrickElsender
6 Apr 2014 - 7:09 PM

Thank you all very much. I've made a list of Do's and Don'ts. Thanks also to Paul (Coast) Simple but important tips, thanks.
What I did not tell you folks is that I have a tracheostomy valve fitted in my throat as my larynx was removed due to a tumour so speaking to strangers is not so easy for me. I also have to put my hand up inside a protective neck cover I wear to be able to speak by blocking the tracheostomy with my finger. This alone can be very off-putting for people. Anyway I soldier on and once again thank you for your tips, my main objective is to blend in with the crowds and not stand out like a sore thumb.
Thank you all.
Patrick.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123913 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Apr 2014 - 8:48 PM

Plan A: Purchase a bright yellow jacket; ensure officlal photographer is etched on the back and front; make yourself as conspicuous as possible, look slightly eccentric and everyone will totally ignore you.

Plan B: Disguise yourself as a little old lady; again you will be totally ignored.

Peter.

PatrickElsender
10 Apr 2014 - 8:20 PM

Quote: Plan A: Purchase a bright yellow jacket; ensure officlal photographer is etched on the back and front; make yourself as conspicuous as possible, look slightly eccentric and everyone will totally ignore you.

Plan B: Disguise yourself as a little old lady; again you will be totally ignored.

Peter.

Thanks Peter. If the other tips don't work I'll give yours a try.

PatrickElsender
10 Apr 2014 - 8:23 PM

Hi People. Took a photo yesterday, which I have just posted. Sadly I did not have the nerve to put any tips into practise, I took it from the safety of my car while waiting for a shop to open. I considered my options and getting out of my car and pointing a small camera at the subject, I went for option 1 STAY IN THE CAR.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.