Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cloud Storage

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    steve_p
    steve_p  91098 forum posts England
    26 Aug 2012 - 11:00 AM

I am totally confused by all these cloud storage things.
    At the moment my photos are stored on an external HDD. I hear so many stories of these failing. Is cloud storage a good idea? If so has anyone got any recommendations or experiences?
    Thanks in advance.
    Steve

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Aug 2012 - 11:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ourdayphotos
    26 Aug 2012 - 11:36 AM

Seems like a good idea but make sure it's compatable with your system, I've just been mis-sold a 500GB one by PC world which doesn't work with my mac, I now need to upgrade apparently.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82325 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2012 - 11:51 AM

I have always dismissed cloud storage for my images as a consequence of file size and file transfer rates. Combined these don't really make the Cloud currently a suitable back-up solution for me. Instead I use the son, father, grandfather system of back-up (I back up continually to one drive, periodically I then back this up to one of 2 drives that I alternate - thus I have a current back up, a slightly older version, and an older version still) using external hard drives - although this thread has served to remind me that the father and grandfather versions are now well out of date.

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2012 - 12:39 PM

I'm currently using Carbonite - costs me about 35 a year but seems to be working well. It takes about 3-4 days to do the initial backup but after that it only backs up changes ...and you can be selective about what you backup. Have tried a basic restore and it worked well.
    (You get a free trial period) Smile

CTee
    CTee  769 forum posts United Kingdom
    26 Aug 2012 - 1:04 PM

I am also considering using a Cloud based service and would be interested in any comments. Having looked at the price of another HD and still having all my data in one location makes me think it would be a good idea. I have continous backups to a HD and thinking if there is a fire, serve damage or the PC and drives get nicked everything is gone.
    I was looking at JustCloud so any comments?

User_Removed
    26 Aug 2012 - 1:19 PM

What happens when the cloud provider goes bust/gets hacked/....?

Only askin'.

RichardN00
    26 Aug 2012 - 1:46 PM

Quote: What happens when the cloud provider goes bust/gets hacked/....?

Only askin'.

Go for one of the big names rather than the cheapest and you should be OK. But whatever you chose don't rely on a single method.

As one of my old bosses used to say, "Three things in life you can't have enough of... Money Sex and Backups!"

I use LiveDrive, but I also back up to two external HDs one of which is always offsite in my office drawer at work and my photos are probably of value only to me.

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2012 - 3:24 PM

Only askin'.

It's all a matter of risk ....and money Grin

User_Removed
    26 Aug 2012 - 3:53 PM

Only askin'.

It's all a matter of risk ....and money Grin

Yep. The money bit is not insignificant. I just looked at one of those cloudy external back-up providers mentioned above, and to back up both of my home computers (mine and her in-drawers's) with their eight external HDDs would cost me about $700 per annum.

And, as sure as God made chocolate rabbits, if my house burned down, taking the PCs and the HDDs with it, it would also take all my other records and, months later when I got myself re-housed and provided with a new computer, I would have forgotten the name of the cloudy provider, not to mention my log-on ID and password.

steve_p
    26 Aug 2012 - 6:10 PM

Thanks for all your comments. I have backed up many of my photos to DVD, which does seem a laborious job, but I still have about 2000 of my most recent still on the external HD. I think maybe I will still continue with this method. Mind you I've lots to do to catch up!

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014143 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2012 - 9:38 PM

Quote: Yep. The money bit is not insignificant. I just looked at one of those cloudy external back-up providers mentioned above, and to back up both of my home computers (mine and her in-drawers's) with their eight external HDDs would cost me about $700 per annum.

sheesh, you want to look somewhere else! I use Backblaze which gives me infinite storage for $50 a machine a year. I have everything copy on to a single machine which gets backed up to the cloud so I get infinite cloud storage on my 4 machines for that price.

You should not use it as your only backup - I use it as a longstop backup in case I lose my local backups due to fire, theft, flood, etc. You can do a similar thing by shipping hard drives about but this is easier, automatic and more reliable. Most offer the option to encrypt your data with your own key which hould protect against hacking.

Quote: I have always dismissed cloud storage for my images as a consequence of file size and file transfer rates.

It's not usually as bad as most people people think, I have 900GB in the cloud. For a long time my really slow connection only gave 2GB a day but it is up to 5GB a day now. The inital upload took nearly 6 months at 2GB a day but after that I had capacity for 60GB a month and now my broadband is faster I can add 150GB a month which is easily enough for me at 700GB a year.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 26 Aug 2012 - 9:39 PM
    scottishphototours

There was a cracking discussion about this very subject recently - see here

Andy

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    steve_p
    26 Aug 2012 - 10:39 PM

Andy,
    Thank you for that. In the past when a new topic was started, if a similar thread was in progress, it was flagged up.
    Anyway I've read through that thread and it has cleared up my confusion somewhat.

Thank you for all the contributions.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.