Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

CMB support

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 7282 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
18 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

Here we go again - is anybody aware of CMB support?

I may or not have been scammed! I was after help from Adobe and googled for a link - directly under the link was a phone number 0800 which I rang and the person that answered offered to take remote control of my PC to find the problem and said I had a Trojan - the company CMB support charged me 149 for lifetime cover and installed AVG with all sorts of AVG add ons. I got suspiscious when after the event I sat and thought about it (I had heard MSN mentioned and wondered why) I asked the question of the company CMB to be told they support MSN and Adobe but when I went into Adobe chat last evening and related the story they were not aware! The freephone number is not showing when I google today. I have spoken to my visa card company and they will report on the conversation I had with them this morning I have also spoken to my Bank and they have suspended my online account and cancelled me card, I am not taking any chances. This Co. may be genuine but I am not at all comfortable - hindsight is a wonderful thing!!!
Ann

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
18 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

never heard of them.

scottishphototours

They certainly look genuine...CMB Support

Looks to me like you've clicked on a sponsored link in Google (which they've paid to be put where you'll see it and hopefully click on it to get to their service!)

GarethRobinson
18 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

at least you did not get scammed and your problems are sorted, just out a pocket.

redsnappa
redsnappa  111897 forum posts United Kingdom
18 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

Quote: CMB support charged me 149 for lifetime cover and installed AVG

CMB Support have charged you 149.00 for an antivirus software that is available free of charged. You have been scammed.

Jestertheclown
18 May 2013 - 11:00 PM

I'm not sure what this 'lifetime cover' actually is Ann.
If they've charged you 149.00 for lifetime support in the event that something goes wrong; malware for example, then that may or may not be reasonable.
As for AVG, its monetary value will depend upon which version they've installed. The most commonly used one is a freebie but there's also a paid for version, or 'security suite' which costs about 50.00.

Bren.

pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 7282 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2013 - 9:51 AM

thanks to all contributees, I wish I was up to all this technology (thought I was doing ok for an oldie, apparently not) I have phoned my bank and they have suspended my account until scans have been done and all the things CMB have put on my machine have been removed - I have done all I have been told to, my card has been cancelled just to be on the safe side, hopefully I will get my money back having informed the visa card people as well. I cant do anymore but wait and see nowSad and in future to be more careful) I had to get away from all the stress yesterday and go out for a while with the cameraWink
As always I am grateful to you all for your help and patience, enjoy the rest of the weekend everybodySmile
regards Ann

KevSB
KevSB  101403 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

Looking online and going a number of places it seems that they are quite genuine, Have a clear advertised pricing structure and offer quite a good service with 24/7 customer support to fix any problems you have. Soon as I saw this thread, scam came to mind but for once this service looks quite good and best of all genuine. So I would put your mind at ease.
They are UK Based so you have consumer rights and distance selling rights so contact them and explain your fears and explain you no longer want there services.
You was right to panic though as so many are scamming this, Just ask them there t&C policy, being genuine I suspect visa wont refund.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
pluckyfilly
19 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

thankyou Kev this does help considerably Sad

pluckyfilly
21 Jun 2013 - 1:20 PM

Thanks Johnpatcarl - its in the hands of my visa card company now, wait and see time but will update the forum if successful
thanks Ann

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72301 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
21 Jun 2013 - 1:36 PM

Hi Ann,

I can't really give an opinion about CMBpcsupport myself, but many others have. A little tip, when you are about to pay an online company money and aren't sure about the legitimacy. Search '[company name] reviews':

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cmb+pc+support+reviews&oq=cmb+pc+support+r...

Often times you will get customer review sites of the company which will quickly give you an idea of what is going on. In regards to PC/Adobe support, try asking here in the epz forums or on a site like www.superuser.com which is a little QA site for computing.

pluckyfilly
21 Jun 2013 - 5:17 PM

thanks David appreciate your help
cheers Ann

mike2013cambridge

Similar issues as pluckyfilly. Was also misled into thinking this was part of Yahoo and other claims. Amazed I was led to them through search on Google for solving problems with Yahoo Mail.
Cancelled after about 90 minutes and now waiting for my refund which legally I have been told I am entitled to. Hope you were refunded Ann!!
Mike

pluckyfilly
13 Sep 2013 - 10:08 PM

I contacted Co-op as it was their Visa I used for the transaction, after many phone calls and letters including emails from CMPB as proof of the transaction, I was told by Co-op they may not be able to help me if I had accepted help from them (CMPB) so as a last attempt to recover my money I contacted the company by email stating they had in fact offered me a refund and I told them I am into photography and could if I chose spread the word that they were not genuine.They offered me 2/3rds of the money paid and I considered that better than losing the whole amount.
Now I keep getting bogus phone calls that are driving me mad - I think they have probably sold my details on to another company but I am not stupid enough to get caught again.
Thanks for this Mike, it helps to know I am not the only person to get caught out by these people.
Ann

BTW I did report this to the police, last time they called me was yesterday and I told them the call was being recorded, they just replied it was also being recorded that end so that was of no use Sad

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314805 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2013 - 10:16 PM

Quote: BTW I did report this to the police, last time they called me was yesterday and I told them the call was being recorded, they just replied it was also being recorded that end so that was of no use

You shouldn`t be bothering the police with marketing calls, there busy enough as it is.

Register with the Telephone Preference Service instead, it wont stop all calls but it should help.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.