Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Coffee Maker

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111515 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2011 - 6:31 PM

Can anybody recommend a good coffee maker?

I'm not after the type that just makes the filter variety, I'm looking for something that makes a more 'continental' type. Must be reasonably priced, I looked at the Nespresso and although very nice it was a tad pricey.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jul 2011 - 6:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
21 Jul 2011 - 6:39 PM

My misses makes really good coffee. Her prices are very reasonable + travel expenses.
She can do Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Thursday is a training day and she usually has a wrestling competition at the weekends.
She drives a hard bargain. I have to scrub the leotards to get all the mud out. It gets everywhere.

Oh, by the way, washing up is extra and for god's sake, don't upset her, she performs a mean half nelson.

Let me know if you wish to make a booking. Sad oops sorry, I meant Smile (I just can't get the hang of these smillies.)

Last Modified By User_Removed at 21 Jul 2011 - 6:41 PM
sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82271 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2011 - 6:53 PM

This reminds me of threads on recommendations for ND filters... I could recommend the different brands I tried, but I still reckon that Nespresso are the best & worth the money.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96216 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2011 - 6:54 PM

Quote: good coffee maker

Do Nikon make them.... D3S perhaps ! !

Is this the sort of thing, from Argos

They have other coffee machines as well.

Snapper
Snapper  93702 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2011 - 7:54 PM

The DeLonghi EC152 at the Argos link in JJGee's post is the cheapest Which best buy, with the next one being the DeLonghi EC270 at £75 then the EC330 at £88 being better still.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2011 - 8:10 PM

It all depends on what you're after. Do you want a 'do-it-all' type espresso machine or perhaps something a bit simpler? I just use a caffétière jobbie which makes excellent coffee. Nespresso machines make good coffee but, like inkjet printers, all the profit is in the consumables.

And then there's the coffee-nerd's solution: a true espresso machine where you have to grind the beans to a fine dust, fill the holder and tamp to perfection and then let the machine pour for precisely 27"? Got one of those too. Makes amazing coffee when you get everything right but what a faff!!

Last Modified By joolsb at 21 Jul 2011 - 8:12 PM
mikehit
mikehit  46152 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2011 - 8:19 PM

The Nespresso machines make really good coffee with virtually no cleaning up required afterwards. If it wasn't for the fact that (a) I tend towards being a coffee snob and (b) I like trying different coffees from round the world I would get one. I agree that the 'proper' espresso machines are a faff but I think the end result is worth it.

What do you call 'reasonably priced'? I think that quality machines start at about £150 and the DeLonghis are well reviewed. And pay a bit more and the can take the 'coffee pods' - not the Nespresso sort but the ones with the coffee in what looks like a disc-shaped tea bag so you can have the best of both worlds fro everyday use (though the selection of coffees in the pods is not huge).

I have recently been googling 'espresso machines UK' and there are heaps of guides with reviews and recommendations.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43607 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2011 - 8:31 PM

Nespresso works for me...does everything I want and they have a large selection of coffee pods to suit many a taste (No, I don't work for them), but I have had one of their machines for 6 years)

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111515 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2011 - 8:48 PM

Thanks all.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314909 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2011 - 9:33 PM

Coffee machines tend to be pretty crap, the cheaper ones especially.

Quote: I just use a caffétière jobbie which makes excellent coffee

I find them so much better, and easier to clean as well Smile

Added a couple of links, ignore the prices, they vary enormously, and depending on size they can really be quite cheap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-Moka-Express-Espresso-Maker/dp/B00004RFRU
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodum-Chambord-French-Coffee-0-35lt/dp/B00005LM0R/ref=sr...

You could even go the hole hog and grind your own.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Krups-Expert-GVX231-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0002H2IOM/ref=pd_...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 21 Jul 2011 - 9:37 PM
RogBrown
RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jul 2011 - 11:11 PM

A simple cafetiere & Aldi's Columbian coffee. Superb. We had one of these fancy machines a while ago - a Krupp I think it was. Quite expensive. Trouble is the coffee was just like drinking hot water - no taste whatever.

User_Removed
21 Jul 2011 - 11:44 PM

Can you get third-party compatible inks (coffee pod efforts) for the Nespresso machines?

MediumSizeUnavailable

Yes. since recently in belgium ( Tongue ) you can buy capsules from Douwe Egberts (a dutch brand I believe), so I suppose others will follow soon, if they haven't already already : http://www.lorespresso.douwe-egberts.be/nl/#/nl/espresso/assortiment

I bought the strongest one (forza), but to be fair, tast-wise it doesn't match up to the ristretto from nespresso quality wise. it's not that much cheaper either : 3.09 € for 10 cups from DE compared to (I think) 3.35 € for 10 nespresso cups.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2011 - 5:46 AM

Quote: Yes. since recently in belgium ( ) you can buy capsules from Douwe Egberts (a dutch brand I believe), so I suppose others will follow soon, if they haven't already already : http://www.lorespresso.douwe-egberts.be/nl/#/nl/espresso/assortiment

Interesting. Here in Switzerland one of the big supermarkets started selling their own capsules and Nestlé jumped on them from a great height. Perhaps Douwe Egberts are doing theirs under licence? If not, they should be expecting a visit from Nestlé's lawyers very soon... Wink

Last Modified By joolsb at 22 Jul 2011 - 5:47 AM
stomp
stomp  12203 forum posts England
22 Jul 2011 - 6:31 AM

I use a Tassimo and love it. Similar to the Nespresso I believe. The machines are made by Braun and on top of coffee there are also capsule for Twinings tea, Suchards Hot chocolate and other brands I can't recall as I tend to stick with Kenko Columbian coffee but here are many more to choose from.

Steve

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.