Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Coffee Maker

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3799 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2011 - 7:34 AM

We have a large coffee maker that is only used when we have lots of guests who want coffee....................otherwise I use LYONS COFFEE BAGS............................They are sold in two strengths and each one contains real ground coffee in an airtight foil sleeve:

Try it!

Hobbo

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Jul 2011 - 7:34 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SophieHart
22 Jul 2011 - 7:52 AM

I can't say who makes good coffee makers but these people sell very very good coffee

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2011 - 8:04 AM

For anybody with a bit bigger budget I can highly recommend the DeLonghi Magnifica, bean to cup espresso machine. We got one 3 years ago and love it.

Only problem is you do tend to turn into a bit of a 'froth geek' (or maybe that's just me).

I've had coffee from the various pod and teabag machines and they do a decent job, but you can't escape the facts that a) the pod coffee is processed in some way and b) the coffee pods/bags are hellishly expensive compared to beans.

Give me beans any day. Smile

Ian

indemnity
indemnity  6329 forum posts
22 Jul 2011 - 8:23 AM

Reasonably priced authentic Continental type coffee maker. http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?rlz=1T4ACPW_enGB304GB304&q=coffee+m...

Simon_Palmer
22 Jul 2011 - 8:24 AM

Another vote for Magnifica, a fantastic machine. On Amazon atm for a tad under 300 squid. Superb machine and insanely good coffee.

20 quid a week on beans though for me is getting a tad excessive methinks, bah, who needs sleep Wink

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2011 - 8:41 AM

Well my Magimix Citiz + Milk Nespresso machine which I was given for Christmas is still in regular use. I did think the novelty would wear off but it is really easy to use and if you can put up with emails from George Clooney exhorting you to buy more pods I think the system works pretty well. It is very faff-free. The only gripe I have is that you really need to pre-warm the cup before you press go otherwise I find it a bit on the cold side. Smile

MediumSizeUnavailable

here's a small vdo on the douwe egberts caps : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA0gojWASr8&feature=related
(but again, taste-wise I think DE is merely "ok" compared to nespresso. At the moment I use DE, but may not do so much longer. the part about DE I enjoy most, is the pleasant smell of coffee you get when you open the wrapper around the capsule lol)

Quote: Interesting. Here in Switzerland one of the big supermarkets started selling their own capsules and Nestlé jumped on them from a great height. Perhaps Douwe Egberts are doing theirs under licence? If not, they should be expecting a visit from Nestlé's lawyers very soon...

found this on wiki : Officially, Nespresso does not allow customers to purchase coffee capsule from other sources. As a result, choice of flavours is limited and there is limited competitive downward pressure on capsule prices. Nespresso seeks to position the brand as an exclusive luxury good. However, in March 2011, the Swiss discount supermarket, Denner, won a court battle with Nestlé over the sale of Nespresso compatible capsules. The plastic capsules are approximately half the retail price as the genuine Nespresso capsules.[10]
The concept (machine, capsule, service) is protected by 70 patents which allows Nespresso to monopolize it until the patents expire.[11][12] This contrasts with some other prepackaged coffee preparation systems. This has led to comparisons of Nespresso with printer manufacturers that tried to hinder the sale of generic ink cartridges.[9]

Nespresso's patents will begin to expire in 2012,[13] eventually allowing competitors to offer capsules and machines compatible with the Nespresso system. Nestlé is working on ways to prevent competitors from doing this.[9]

An ex-manager at Nespresso has started a rival firm, Ethical Coffee (ECC), to make pods for the Nespresso machine.[14]

Other competitors include a Swiss start-up (Nexpod.ch) which is offering Nespresso-compatible empty capsules which can be filled with the coffee (or tea) by the buyer, Caps-cup from Hong Kong that provide compatible capsules in bulk and a South African company which sells Nespresso-compatible capsules under the brand name Café-Caps.

In mid-July 2010, Sara Lee in France, which makes coffee under the "Maison de Café" brand, launched L'OR EspressO which uses a plastic capsule that fits both espresso machines sold by Sara Lee and the Nespresso system. In August 2010, it is reported that, according to Sara Lee, more than 30 million capsules of L'Or are sold since launch. Nestlé has sued Sara Lee, accusing the latter of contravening its patents.[9][15] In December, Sara Lee announced that they would start selling their capsules in the US under the Douwe Egberts name.

Quote: The only gripe I have is that you really need to pre-warm the cup before you press go otherwise I find it a bit on the cold side.

yes, I noticed that too. What I do is I let a cup of water run through it before doing the same with coffee. The second cup always seems to be warmer.

Last Modified By MediumSizeUnavailable at 22 Jul 2011 - 8:54 AM
Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2011 - 9:23 AM

The best coffee I have ever tasted is made with equipment costing less than £2.

One heaped table spoon of Grand Mere in the filter holder. Pour hot (not boiling) water over the coffee until you have enough in the cup. Add milk and sugar if you want it. Done.

coffee.jpg

Cheapskate solutions always appeal to me - check out the wee flag below my name. Grin

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4602 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
22 Jul 2011 - 9:35 AM

The Delonghi is very good for the price (around £53 - on amazon) - better than any other cheap "15 bar" machines (the likes you see at Aldi, Netto etc). I had one for 5 years and it's still going (gave to parents). I don't think you get much better till you start looking at spending £160+ on a Gaggia (I managed to get one for about £60 in a clearance sale).

The freshness of the coffee plays a bit part in it, and if you can grind your own, or buy freshly ground stuff then it's recommended! (This is a great grinder if you can find it: http://www.dualit.com/products/coffee-grinder)

Cafetierre's apparently give the strongest caffiene hit.

Last Modified By joshwa at 22 Jul 2011 - 9:36 AM
digicammad
22 Jul 2011 - 10:22 AM

Also make sure you keep your beans or ground coffee in the fridge once it is opened. Smile

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2011 - 11:14 AM

Quote: Also make sure you keep your beans or ground coffee in the fridge once it is opened

For absolute freshness, grind your own beans as needed. Ground coffee goes stale very quickly - even in the fridge!

digicammad
22 Jul 2011 - 11:44 AM

Yep, totally agree. That's why we invested in a bean to cup machine. Smile

Mind you, if you make sure you seal the coffee in an airtight bag you can keep it a little longer.

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2011 - 12:06 PM

Quote: For absolute freshness, grind your own beans as needed. Ground coffee goes stale very quickly - even in the fridge!

.....................................better still buy your own coffee bush and start from scratch WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139463 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2011 - 12:16 PM

I prefer instant. Smile

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2011 - 12:55 PM

Quote: I prefer instant.

There's always one.... Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.