Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Coffee Maker

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

polis_928tadw59

The best coffee of all is Taylors of Harrogate. Absolutely superb. It beats all the others. Used to make coffee the 'proper way', putting it in a coffee pot, letting it stand, then using a strainer. I had to give that up a few years back as I started to get chest palpitations,(those may have been caused by a female colleague, when looked at with hindsight.Smile) so I now use a machine with filter papers.
And do not forget a pinch of salt in with the coffee grounds, as my grandmother used to do; and which I believed is common on the continent, possibly Holland.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Jul 2011 - 1:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56547 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2011 - 1:31 PM

Ewanneil

Quote: The best coffee I have ever tasted is made with equipment costing less than 2.

One heaped table spoon of Grand Mere in the filter holder. Pour hot (not boiling) water over the coffee until you have enough in the cup. Add milk and sugar if you want it. Done.

Cheapskate solutions always appeal to me - check out the wee flag below my name. Grin

I used to use those then I thought about what compounds the paper is absorbing. So out of interest I made one cup with a cafetiere and one cup with a paper filter and the taste was completely different (much better with the cafetiere). So I bought one of these

http://www.anothercoffee.co.uk/products/item110310.aspx

and again it was better. I have not used a paper filter in years - I agree they make good coffee but IMO the gold filters are better. Other advantages are you do not need to keep buying paper filters (my current ones are 10 years old and get heavy use!) and if you want to buy more than one filter they are not very big so fit in the cupboard without any problem.

Last Modified By mikehit at 22 Jul 2011 - 1:33 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315487 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2011 - 1:45 PM

Quote: The freshness of the coffee plays a bit part in it, and if you can grind your own, or buy freshly ground stuff then it's recommended! (This is a great grinder if you can find it: http://www.dualit.com/products/coffee-grinder)

Cafetierre's apparently give the strongest caffiene hit

I`m still using a blade grinder, burr grinders are so much better.

I find the old fashioned stove-top espresso pots the best, get the grind right and there fantastic, and the smell and aroma kills stale smells.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-Moka-Express-Espresso-Maker/dp/B00004RFRV/ref=p...

And nothing beats grinding your own beans Smile

polis_928tadw59

I thought this was serious discussion about coffee. What with post No. 2 by Laurel_Steinbeck(to be read in its full entirety), and now your's, Paul Morgan,
"And nothing beats grinding your own beans"Smile I am beginning to have my doubts. Think I will go and have a cup of coffee.Wink

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2011 - 2:00 PM

Quote: And nothing beats grinding your own beans

...except roasting them yourself, too! Smile

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111555 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2011 - 4:14 PM

Well I settled on the Delonghi EC152 that Jeff linked to on the first page. It was in my price range and I didn't want to go overboard by spending oodles of cash.

I have tried several cups now trying to perfect the output to my my taste, so if anybody is interested in a small review, just ask, I suspect I will be here until approximately 0430 tomorrow morning Tongue

JJGEE
JJGEE  96319 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2011 - 4:27 PM

Quote: Well I settled on the Delonghi EC152 that Jeff linked to on the first page.

Are you going to have a coffee morning ? We both know someone local that could bake some cakes to bring along as well Wink

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84293 forum posts England163 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2011 - 5:31 PM

Thanks to this thread I stood and considered a Tassimo in Morrisons (59) for ages.................I managed to walk away! Smile

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2011 - 6:48 PM

Quote: I used to use those then I thought about what compounds the paper is absorbing. So out of interest I made one cup with a cafetiere and one cup with a paper filter and the taste was completely different (much better with the cafetiere). So I bought one of these

http://www.anothercoffee.co.uk/products/item110310.aspx

and again it was better. I have not used a paper filter in years - I agree they make good coffee but IMO the gold filters are better. Other advantages are you do not need to keep buying paper filters (my current ones are 10 years old and get heavy use!) and if you want to buy more than one filter they are not very big so fit in the cupboard without any problem.

Thanks for the link Mikehit. It looks good but it requires washing afterwards. The reason I mention that is because a slow build up of coffee grounds from a previous coffee machine was responsible for a blocked kitchen sink. I used to put most of the spent grounds in the bin and rinse the filter to wash off the remnants - and that was enough to cause the block. Ever since then I have preferred paper filters because all the waste goes in the bin.

From experience I find I get a better "hit" when I filter straight into the cup. No wonder I don't get enough sleep. Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315487 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2011 - 7:15 PM

Quote: I used to put most of the spent grounds in the bin and rinse the filter to wash off the remnants - and that was enough to cause the block

Save the used coffee grounds and put them on the garden.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2011 - 8:00 PM

Quote: Save the used coffee grounds and put them on the garden.

Yeah, your right, I should be. Just laziness is stopping me. I'll try and mend my ways. Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.