Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cokin Z-pro filter system for 10-20 lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    albinoni
    albinoni  6 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2008 - 3:04 PM

Hi, I've just aquired a Sigma 10-20 lens and am looking into a filter system. Does anyone know if the 77mm Cokin z-pro system will incur vigneting? I fancy a couple of nd grads, but the setup is expensive and when I bought the 'A' series for my Non 18-70, on a wide angle setting, you get the holder intruding into the shot. Just don't wanna spend loads of money and find out this happens - called in the local photography shop today and he didn't know.
    Also I'm looking at a new circular polariser Hoya pro and B&W (about the same price on ebay), but they are thin filters and I don't know if the z-pro will then screw onto the cp or will I keep having to take it off?
    If I sound confused, it's probably because I am - so any help or guidance is much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Andy

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Oct 2008 - 3:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NEWMANP
    NEWMANP e2 Member 61581 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom572 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2008 - 3:33 PM

i understand that xpro or zpro is the way to go, the a series is no goog for the 18-70 but a p series should be ok, You can also get single filter holder for p filters that will work sort of fine if you take off any other filters allowing the adapter closer to the glass.
    the cheaper option could be the 100 mm system from hitech from teamworks, similar to xpro, Phil

Nickscape
    Nickscape  7692 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2008 - 4:11 PM

I use the Z-pro filters on my 10-20, they are 100mm wide & u will need the 77mm adaptor ring. If you keep the filters prefectly upright you will just about get away with it at 10mm (assuming your not on a full frame camera..) if you angle the grads, the corners of the holder will be in the frame, i usually only use one filter at a time and so have taken the last slot off from my holder and it its fine at 10mm and usually get away with it with an angled grad.

If you use a polariser on the lens before the filters you will only be able to go to about 12mm which to be honest is fine in most situations,.

The X-pro series may be better if your always going to use 10mm all the time - or perhaps get get the LEE wide angle adaptor and filter holder as it is better than the cokin one.

ChristopherSmith

I use the Zpro holder and grads with my 10-20 (nikon) and dont get any problems, you do have to use the holder backwards though at 10mm, this means you can only use one grad at a time.
    Note i use a nikon and im not sure if at 10mm sensor crop would greate vignetting on diferent cameras.

albinoni
    albinoni  6 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2008 - 7:33 PM

Thx guys - there's some really helpful stuff here! I'm using a D80 so it looks like by using the first 2 holders or reversing the holder, I should be able to manage at 10mm. which is fine, because I'm inly thiing 1 or 2 nd grads maximum.
    Quote; If you use a polariser on the lens before the filters you will only be able to go to about 12mm which to be honest is fine in most situations

I'm still confused about attaching directly to a circular polarizer - if i got one of the ultra thin ones would it have a thread on the 'outside'' to attach on the adapter, holder, etc.? and would it manage a full 10mm or is the 12mm quoted actually using an ultra thin filter?
    Cheers
    Andy
    ps, this is good stuff, I went from knowing nothing this morning apart from needing stuff for a 77mm lens and now..well i feel like it's starting to make a bit more sense. many thanks!

Nickscape
    Nickscape  7692 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2008 - 7:52 PM

I think unless you get the Cokin Polariser the only way of using a polariser is to screw the polariser onto the lens, then adaptor onto the outside of the polariser & then use the filter holder. Thats what i used to do with my p-series and its a right pain.. Im still working out the best way to do it, if you work out a good method let me know!

I do use the holder backwards sometimes & works a treat but to be honest the filters dont really stay in very well as the slot is slightly larger so have had the filter slip out onto the floor whilst it was just set up waiting to shoot so be careful!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.