Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Cold Weather

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96058 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2013 - 2:39 PM

Quote: Thanks all, looks like love investment is the way forward

Well that would certainly keep you warm Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Jan 2013 - 2:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

djh698
djh698  10909 forum posts Canada4 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2013 - 3:17 PM

Try living somewhere cold -these temps are quite mild when you regularly get -35 as I do in Canada.I am on a visit to UK at present and would consider the weather to be very pleasant. Try holding a tripod when it's below -20. You certainly don't want to have wet hands when you do!!

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43930 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2013 - 4:02 PM

Very spring-like at the moment. Only -9. Last week we had -20 and I had to put a long-sleeved shirt on to take some fresh air on the terrase.Tongue This winter's been very mild so far.Smile

Malc

Daffy1
Daffy1  6336 forum posts Ireland
17 Jan 2013 - 5:26 PM

minus-16.jpg

This was taking in the 2010 cold snap at 8.15am going work one morning.
I hope we don't have a repeat. Raining here temp + 7 C. Damian

theorderingone
17 Jan 2013 - 5:36 PM

Quote: I find it best to wear 2 pairs of gloves. The inner gloves are made from fine silk and are close-fitting so you can operate youir cameras without removing them. Then wear a heavier pair between shots.

I do a similar, but much cheaper thing. Poundland fingerless (Steptoe & Son) woolly gloves under oversized ski gloves which have elastic wristbands to keep them handy when removed. The ski gloves were only a tenner from Decathlon.

KathyW
KathyW  111793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2013 - 8:10 PM

I got some sealskinz riding gloves for Christmas Smile and they are excellent - totally waterproof, been dipping my hands in frozen water buckets to remove chunks of ice and fingers stayed warm and dry. Can use my camera while wearing them, took a bit of getting used to but no problem after a couple of days. They also make shooting gloves which have a foldback trigger finger which would probably be idea for photographers. They are quite pricey but definitely worth the money. It's been down to -10 here for several days and I still have warm hands!

If you look for riding or fishing gloves they should be thin enough to enable you to operate most camera controls without having to take your gloves off.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014817 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2013 - 8:32 PM

I just wrote a blog on this exact subject Smile

http://www.mcfade.co.uk/blog/landscapes/shoot-snow-frost-with-flash/

Tells you how I did this....

-mg-4301.jpg

Jellyfire
Jellyfire  241 forum posts United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2013 - 8:33 PM

Quote: Thanks all, looks like love investment is the way forward

Well that would certainly keep you warm Smile

Not sure my wife would be too happy!

Wow -35... brrr, Im not built for cold weather, I'd be looking to move out of canada!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315398 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2013 - 8:35 PM

Quote: I just wrote a blog on this exact subject

I`m sat hear wondering how you would manage your strobist setup out in a blizzard Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014817 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2013 - 8:38 PM

was very still today Paul... otherwise, take a willing assistant to hold the light stand!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315398 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2013 - 8:42 PM

The last blizzard I took a dslr out in froze my lensbaby solid but it was fun.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.