Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Collapsible Backdrop for Portraits

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    miptog
    miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jul 2010 - 5:21 PM

Looking for a collapsible backdrop for portraits. Something that is large enough to to 3/4 length, and which can be used both in landscape and portrait format. Would also like to get pure black and pure white from it. Was thinking grey was the best choice. An suggestions or recommendations please.

Michael

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Jul 2010 - 5:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Miles Herbert
    2 Jul 2010 - 5:33 PM

Are you sure that you want collapsible ones? I have a full length white/black and a full length cloudy grey sat in my garage where they have been since I started using paper rolls ... I much prefer the paper rolls... lol, none of that trying to wrestle your background back into it's bag in front of bemused customers!

... so ... if anyone lives near Bournemouth and wants some pop up backgrounds at a reasonable price .....

(In answer to your question ... if I were just buying one background it would be grey ... but if I had the choice I would have at least one white, one black and one grey just to start with as it's much easier to get pure white, or pure black using the right coloured backgrounds. The grey is the most versatile, and it can be fun playing with coloured gels on them as well.)

Miles

Last Modified By Miles Herbert at 2 Jul 2010 - 5:34 PM
    scottishphototours

Lastolite do a white/black reversible collapsible background with a train which is ideal for 3/4 shots.

Think its about 7 feet tall by 12 feet long with train. See their website...

shaz4
    shaz4  826 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jul 2010 - 9:48 PM

Collapsible backgrounds are great ....if you can fold the bloody things up.....
    I had a Lastolite reversable one with the train,was about 7 foot tall..I'm 5 foot nowt....It was a picture in itself watching me struggle with it.
    I could do it but practically had to lay myself over it so I could grab either side to twist it and just shut my eyes and pray it didn't flip the opposite way or I would have probably gone out a window..Smile
    It went the way of lots of things....ebay....
    I would love a smaller one but am scared to buy another in case it doesn't behave...Smile

Sharon

SnappyPete
    3 Jul 2010 - 9:55 PM

I have just found myself laughing out loud making a mental picture of people struggling with their collapsible backgounds. I know what they mean. I only have a small one (background that is) and just when I think I have managed to fold it right it pings back open either taking parts of my face off, or scaring the dogs into a mad frenzy out of the room......... Paper rolls everytime !

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jul 2010 - 9:58 PM

Quote: I could grab either side to twist it and just shut my eyes and pray it didn't flip the opposite way or I would have probably gone out a window

hilarious aren't they, get it wrong and you can end up packed into the case they come in as well!

I can fold mine so long as I don't think about how to do it. Someone at the club asked me to show them how I did it - total farce ensued, it was like fighting a giant squid. As they turned and walked away laughing it meekly folded away without a problem! Smile

Last Modified By brian1208 at 3 Jul 2010 - 9:59 PM
    SnappyPete
    3 Jul 2010 - 10:04 PM

I have got tears in my eyes reading these experiences, and TOTALLY know what you all mean

chelynnah
    chelynnah  2
    26 Sep 2011 - 1:57 PM

@ Miles Herbert - I know it was over a year ago you put your post up, but I've just seen it and the site won't let me PM you till I've been a member a month. If you see this and still have those collapsible backdrops I would be very interested.

Maybe you can pm me?

Thanks

Miles Herbert
    27 Sep 2011 - 9:57 AM

Sorry Chelynnah, someone took them off my hands a few days after the original post.

chelynnah
    chelynnah  2
    27 Sep 2011 - 8:53 PM

No worries, I knew it was a long shot Smile Thanks for responding.

Bucephalas69
    27 Sep 2011 - 8:59 PM

Michael,
    The Lastolite Highlight backdrop is a very versatile product. It can be used freestanding or suspended from a background support.
    Whilst it does have a black side, it's not that suitable for low key. I use a velvet pop-up with it that gives a lovely pure black and can be clipped to the highlite.

Don't worry about folding it either, once it's done once it's simples!

dan3008
    dan3008  3 United Kingdom
    28 Sep 2011 - 4:17 PM

I actually made a backdrop like this, only with a colapable wooden frame, Its only cost me about 20, including fabric for the backdrop. If youre not sure exactally where to start google. Or if anyone wants to PM me I'm in the prosess of writing a tutorial (unless I find one online before i'm done)

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314811 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Sep 2011 - 4:20 PM

Cheap roller blinds can be good.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.