Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Colorvision Spyder4Pro

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
BillyGoatGruff
BillyGoatGruff e2 Member 7191 forum postsBillyGoatGruff vcard England199 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2013 - 6:05 PM

Hi all.

Anyone got any experience of this calibration kit?
Is it any good?

I'm all ears....Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Jan 2013 - 6:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2013 - 6:19 PM

Yes.....

BillyGoatGruff
BillyGoatGruff e2 Member 7191 forum postsBillyGoatGruff vcard England199 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2013 - 6:32 PM

Care to expand on that, Keith?

It's difficult to read between the lines when your response is so characteristically succinct Wink

GarethRobinson
23 Jan 2013 - 6:38 PM

It works, does what it says on the tin, quick and easy.

keithh
23 Jan 2013 - 6:38 PM

Lol. It works, its been sold since Job was a lad and I've used it without a problem.

BillyGoatGruff
23 Jan 2013 - 6:40 PM

Cool.

Thanks guys.
It's on offer at Amazon and I have a gift voucher, too.
Just needed to know if it wa a worthwhile purchase.

Cheers Grin

geffers7
geffers7 e2 Member 332 forum postsgeffers7 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2013 - 6:55 PM

I've got it too Bill and it works like a dream.
Geoff

keithh
23 Jan 2013 - 7:01 PM

I need a new one and will be joining you at that price.

BillyGoatGruff
23 Jan 2013 - 7:03 PM

Better get my skates on then!
Or there won't be any left!

Smile

BillyGoatGruff
23 Jan 2013 - 7:11 PM

Order is placed - should be here in a couple of days....
Then I'll be asking stupid questions like "which way up does it go??"...Wink

Thanks for the comments guys - just what I was after

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109966 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2013 - 7:21 PM

Its a good bit of kit (which goes flat side down on the screen Tongue )

User_Removed
24 Jan 2013 - 9:11 AM

Of course, the real question is "How do you know that it is actually working correctly?"

I use it to calibrate my monitors and am happy with the results. But I use two identical Dell 27" U2711 Ultrasharps and when I use the Spyder to calibrate both, they are never exactly the same in terms of tones and tints. Both are good enough for my purposes (i.e. general photoprocessing) but the fact there are slight differences means that one (or possibly both) are not quite right.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 24 Jan 2013 - 9:12 AM
BillyGoatGruff
24 Jan 2013 - 7:30 PM

Yep, LF that's a good point.

Still,l I've spent the money now and it'll be better than not using anything except the screen's own software (Samsung).
I'm sure it'll be good enough for my needs.

User_Removed
25 Jan 2013 - 3:00 PM

Quote: Yep, LF that's a good point.

Still,l I've spent the money now and it'll be better than not using anything except the screen's own software (Samsung).
I'm sure it'll be good enough for my needs.

Yep.

The real benefit of calibrating your screen using Spyder (or similar) is that if you process a photograph on your computer and then send it to a website (like here) or to a competition, or whatever, then anyone looking at your photograph should see something fairly similar to what you see - provided, of course, that they have also calibrated their monitor.

For example, I know that an image projected on our camera club projector will look similar to my left-hand monitor but a wee bit less like my right-hand monitor. So when processing digital images for club competitions, I do so with the image on my l-h screen and my palettes on the r-h. My printer, on the other hand, using the standard Epson profiles, produces prints pretty well identical to my r-h monitor - so if processing for a print, I reverse the use of the screens.

In reality, I suspect that the reason I do get a slight difference between the two screens is that they are getting a different mix of ambient light falling on them (although, theoretically, I thought Spyder 4 should have compensated for that. Maybe I need to position the doofur differently.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 25 Jan 2013 - 3:06 PM
GlennH
GlennH e2 Member 81822 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2013 - 5:00 PM

The colours that are different between two calibrated monitors will theoretically be those that exceed the gamut of one or the other, or both, in which case the colour is clipped and mapped to the nearest in-gamut equivalent. At least that's the case when using programs such as Photoshop. So profiling theoretically provides consistency, but not carbon-copy consistency (it should obviously be close, in an ideal world, between two identical models). Comparing identical desktop images in Windows is one way of observing monitor colour without the added complication of the profile.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.