Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Colorvision Spyder4Pro

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Dave_Canon
26 Jan 2013 - 12:45 PM

Quote: Of course, the real question is "How do you know that it is actually working correctly?"

I use it to calibrate my monitors and am happy with the results. But I use two identical Dell 27" U2711 Ultrasharps and when I use the Spyder to calibrate both, they are never exactly the same in terms of tones and tints. Both are good enough for my purposes (i.e. general photoprocessing) but the fact there are slight differences means that one (or possibly both) are not quite right.

I also use two Dell Ultrasharp monitors (not identical models) and calibrate with a spyder 3 Pro. When first booting up I can see the background image (one of my photographs) on each monitor and it is visibly different in colour and luminance but at the end of the boot process the respective colour profiles are loaded and both monitor change to become very similar. The differences are generally very slight and, as you suggest, definitely good enough for general photography.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Jan 2013 - 12:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2013 - 3:12 PM

At the end of boot-up the monitor profile isn't in play. At that point the calibration data has been loaded via a vcgt tag, so the transformation you see is the adjustment of white point and gamma through the video card LUT. Colour only gets fine-tuned once opened in Photoshop or the like; the Windows 8 desktop ignores the monitor profile to the best of my knowledge (I haven't paid much attention to it - in previous versions that was certainly the case).

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.