Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Colour cast

billip e2
10 388 United Kingdom
27 Jan 2007 8:54PM
Hi

I'm trying to assess the nature of a colour cast which I see in an image and am trying to use the Image -> Adjustments -> Variations route in Photoshop CS2. However, I am finding that the Variations is greyed out and cannot be selected. Any ideas as to why this might be ?

Thanks !

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sillyconguru 10 4.4k
27 Jan 2007 9:00PM
You are working on a 16-bit image.
billip e2
10 388 United Kingdom
28 Jan 2007 11:54AM
Thanks !
billip e2
10 388 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2007 11:13AM
By the way, sillyconguru, would I be right in assuming that you can't make one adjustment layer in 8-bit but leave all your others in 16-bit and expect them to work ?
kokobrown e2
10 1.9k Scotland
29 Jan 2007 11:54AM
Just wondered why you use this method for colour casts?

I use the histogram up the top right hand side..and set it to colours, so i can see which colour is dominating the scence..then use colour balance to adjust it.

Laura
s
billip e2
10 388 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2007 2:37PM
Hi Laura. Thanks for that tip; I'm currently trying to folow some online tutorials from Radiant Vista, whch I'm finding very good, hence I'm trying to use the method mentioned in there, but I'll certainly try yours. Thanks again !
wotashot e2
11 2.2k
29 Jan 2007 11:21PM
Laura..... WHAT THE FOOK!!

Imagine the scenario here then... I take a photo of a blue sheep, which is sat on a big blue bouncy castle in the middle of the BLUE section of the Dulux factory...

...Then I follow your advice to correct a colour cast......

...again I ask......

....WHAT THE FOOK!!!

Much Love,

J
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
30 Jan 2007 8:14AM
The man has a point....

The only way you can assess a colour-cast is in relation to an area that you wish to be a neutral grey. And the best way to do this is to look at the RGB values for that area in the info pallette. Only that way can you get a precise value on which to base your corrections. Looking at histos only tells you about the dominant colour, not whether it's a true representation of the scene or not.
kokobrown e2
10 1.9k Scotland
31 Jan 2007 8:36PM
Yeah fair enough, but generally want my shots to be netural with no colour casts, I understand if your taking pictures of something with a dominant colour, such as a blue sea and blue sky, the blue on the histogram will be the main colour, but sometimes its possible to do it by eye, I generally use a grey card to get a netural balance anyway.
tanyard e2
8 105 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2007 4:11PM
This is probably heading the thread in a different direction, but I would appreciate any comments. I have recently been (lucky me) given an Epson 1290 A3 printer which had third party inks. There was a blue colour cast with rampant colours (orange and green predominantly) which I figured would be rectified by replacing with Epson inks. The blue (sky) is still purpler than blue and the orange which happens to be a pagan's face is now a flat orange.

Compared with the A4 print I did on a cheap HP printer, the Epson doesn't produce the goods.

On other prints, sky still prints purple and bright colours are more muted than the reality

Help please.

Best wishes
Mark
kaybee e2
10 4.0k 24 Scotland
6 Feb 2007 4:25PM
Have you 'flushed' the printer to make sure it is now pure Epson ink coming through?
tanyard e2
8 105 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2007 5:03PM
Hi Sillyconguru,

Yes. I have aligned the heads and run the clean program several times, and have then run off 5 A4 prints of same subject but with no noticeable difference

Best wishes
Mark
tanyard e2
8 105 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2007 5:04PM
I should have added : is that enough?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.