Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Colour cast

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    billip
    billip  9388 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 Jan 2007 - 8:54 PM

Hi

I'm trying to assess the nature of a colour cast which I see in an image and am trying to use the Image -> Adjustments -> Variations route in Photoshop CS2. However, I am finding that the Variations is greyed out and cannot be selected. Any ideas as to why this might be ?

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Jan 2007 - 8:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sillyconguru
    27 Jan 2007 - 9:00 PM

You are working on a 16-bit image.

billip
    28 Jan 2007 - 11:54 AM

Thanks !

billip
    29 Jan 2007 - 11:13 AM

By the way, sillyconguru, would I be right in assuming that you can't make one adjustment layer in 8-bit but leave all your others in 16-bit and expect them to work ?

kokobrown
    kokobrown  91902 forum posts Scotland
    29 Jan 2007 - 11:54 AM

Just wondered why you use this method for colour casts?

I use the histogram up the top right hand side..and set it to colours, so i can see which colour is dominating the scence..then use colour balance to adjust it.

Laura
    s

billip
    29 Jan 2007 - 2:37 PM

Hi Laura. Thanks for that tip; I'm currently trying to folow some online tutorials from Radiant Vista, whch I'm finding very good, hence I'm trying to use the method mentioned in there, but I'll certainly try yours. Thanks again !

wotashot
    wotashot  102249 forum posts
    29 Jan 2007 - 11:21 PM

Laura..... WHAT THE FOOK!!

Imagine the scenario here then... I take a photo of a blue sheep, which is sat on a big blue bouncy castle in the middle of the BLUE section of the Dulux factory...

...Then I follow your advice to correct a colour cast......

...again I ask......

....WHAT THE FOOK!!!

Much Love,

J

joolsb
    joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jan 2007 - 8:14 AM

The man has a point....

The only way you can assess a colour-cast is in relation to an area that you wish to be a neutral grey. And the best way to do this is to look at the RGB values for that area in the info pallette. Only that way can you get a precise value on which to base your corrections. Looking at histos only tells you about the dominant colour, not whether it's a true representation of the scene or not.

kokobrown
    kokobrown  91902 forum posts Scotland
    31 Jan 2007 - 8:36 PM

Yeah fair enough, but generally want my shots to be netural with no colour casts, I understand if your taking pictures of something with a dominant colour, such as a blue sea and blue sky, the blue on the histogram will be the main colour, but sometimes its possible to do it by eye, I generally use a grey card to get a netural balance anyway.

tanyard
    tanyard  7104 forum posts United Kingdom
    6 Feb 2007 - 4:11 PM

This is probably heading the thread in a different direction, but I would appreciate any comments. I have recently been (lucky me) given an Epson 1290 A3 printer which had third party inks. There was a blue colour cast with rampant colours (orange and green predominantly) which I figured would be rectified by replacing with Epson inks. The blue (sky) is still purpler than blue and the orange which happens to be a pagan's face is now a flat orange.

Compared with the A4 print I did on a cheap HP printer, the Epson doesn't produce the goods.

On other prints, sky still prints purple and bright colours are more muted than the reality

Help please.

Best wishes
    Mark

kaybee
    kaybee  93699 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Feb 2007 - 4:25 PM

Have you 'flushed' the printer to make sure it is now pure Epson ink coming through?

tanyard
    6 Feb 2007 - 5:03 PM

Hi Sillyconguru,

Yes. I have aligned the heads and run the clean program several times, and have then run off 5 A4 prints of same subject but with no noticeable difference

Best wishes
    Mark

tanyard
    6 Feb 2007 - 5:04 PM

I should have added : is that enough?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.