Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Colour Cast in Mono Printing

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    desborokev
    13 Jan 2013 - 5:39 PM

I've tried several ways of removing colour casts from prints which have been a bit hit and miss! Is there any definitive route to success? Does the printer or the computer influence which the most? Help please.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Jan 2013 - 5:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kaybee
    kaybee  103767 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jan 2013 - 5:56 PM

The ink........... and the paper
    Even printing mono uses all the coloured inks and this is what tends to give the cast depending on the ink manufacturer/paper combination.

You can try giving a slight tone from the opposite side of the colour wheel from the cast you are getting - but the best answer is to use a dedicated printer that uses nothing but a slection of black inks

desborokev
    13 Jan 2013 - 6:49 PM

Now that's interesting. So,just load black cartridges...

User_Removed
    13 Jan 2013 - 7:31 PM

Quote: Now that's interesting. So,just load black cartridges...

No. You need a printer, like the Epson R3000, that has several "shades of Black" cartridges - Photo Black, Light Black and Light Light Black in the case of the R3000.

With a simpler printer, what you may need to do is use a device like the ColorMunki to produce an ICC profile specifically for the printer, inks and paper you are using.

desborokev
    13 Jan 2013 - 7:42 PM

Many thanks

seahawk
    seahawk e2 Member 7529 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
    15 Jan 2013 - 11:01 AM

I agree that a printer with shades of black cartridges e.g. the Epson mentioned or one of the new Canons like the Pro 100 are the best way to go (which is why I fancy a Pro100). I currently use a Pixma Pro 9000Mk1 which I've had a few years - it only has 1 black cart so I either printed with black only (with poor tone graduation) or suffered a colour cast. Switching to Pinnacle papers and their ICC profile solved that and I can now print b & w with no cast! Nonetheless a Pro100 would still be better.

Railcam
    Railcam  7465 forum posts Scotland
    15 Jan 2013 - 8:17 PM

A couple of years ago I bought a Canon Pixma 9500 in order to get cast free prints (it has a grey cartridge) as my old Canon Pixma 4000 produced B&W prints with casts.

Last year I invested in the ColorMunki Photo and since producing a dedicated ICC profile for the Pixma 4000, it now gives cast free B&W. That may be the answer as suggested by LeftForum above.

Dave_Canon
    19 Jan 2013 - 11:23 AM

This has always been a problem until the multi-black printers were available. I have used an Epson R2880 for some time and the B&W is excellent with its three black inks.

There are some ways you can reduce or live with the problem if you are prepared to compromise and do not plan to upgrade your printer. If you use Photoshop, you can convert your image to Duo-tone, tri-tone or quad-tone which uses a mono grey scale image with one, two or three added colours. The effect is to give you a toned image which when printed can look quite good. The problem is that the human eye/brain easily detects a print which is not neutral grey so by purposely introducing some toning, providing it suits the particular image, a toned image can look pleasing and no one can tell if the tone is slightly out as you can from neutral. This effect has been used in the printing industry for a very long time. About ten years ago I used to really struggle in monochrome competitions but became more successful once using Duotone. However, I have done even better with the R2880 printer.

Dave

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.