Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Colour changes when Scaling pictures

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
clivew
clivew  7
28 Feb 2009 - 1:47 PM

Wounding if anyone can come up with a solution to a recent problem- I have recently purchased a second hand Epson Stylus Photo 1200, A3 printer. Have cleaned all the heads and replaced print cartridges (it was out of use for two years previously), downloaded all drivers etc. and when printing onto smaller paper i.e. 6 x4, and even A4, the colors are great. I then decided to print off in A3 but I get a pink hue across the photo. Has anyone got a fix for this or a reason why it is happening? The printer only cost me 10 but it would be nice to be able to use to its full capacity!
By the way I am printing from TIFF files converted from RAW from a Canon 400D, 10M camera so for A3 have to scale greater than 100% (usually about 114% to produce what I want).

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Feb 2009 - 1:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
28 Feb 2009 - 2:08 PM

Is your A4 paper the same material/manufacturer as your A3 paper ?

clivew
clivew  7
28 Feb 2009 - 2:36 PM

Yes all epson, trying to get best quality!

User_Removed
28 Feb 2009 - 3:15 PM

Can we assume the nozzle check is absolutely perfect ?

miptog
miptog  83529 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2009 - 3:19 PM

Just guessing:
- Is there a ICC printer profile set up that may cause the problem?
- Are you sure that everything was set the same when you printed A3?
- Is the profile embedded in the A3 print different to that of the A4 etc.?
- Print a calibrated print at A3. The sort of thing you can download as a colour checker from labs.

Last Modified By miptog at 28 Feb 2009 - 3:19 PM
clivew
clivew  7
28 Feb 2009 - 5:04 PM

The nozzel check print is perfect, gave the whole head a couple of flushes to clear them out, before fitting new cartridges.

Profles - document - Abode RGB
working from CS2 - Color handling - let photoshop determine colours
printer profile is from epson for the 1200
rendering intent is set to relative colorimetric, with black point compensation ticked.

Will download a colour checker and see what that comes out like, thanks

User_Removed
28 Feb 2009 - 5:12 PM

Are you on a Mac or a PC ?

clivew
clivew  7
28 Feb 2009 - 5:23 PM

Working from a PC, with Vista and CS2.

User_Removed
28 Feb 2009 - 5:28 PM

I've done some Googling and it seems you're not the only person to have complained about it. Got this from one forum ...

'...When you choose Photoshop Manages Color (Photoshop CS3) or Let Photoshop Determine Colors (Photoshop CS2) in the Print dialog box and correctly disable Color Management in the printer, the Epson Stylus printer drivers ignore the profile information and double color profiles. This results in over saturated images or images with a color cast. To avoid this issue, select the option to let the printer manage colors...'

But that's what you said you were doing.

clivew
clivew  7
28 Feb 2009 - 5:38 PM

I think you are right, by letting photoshop determine colours and stipulating the Epson 1200 printer profile but will try letting the printer do the profiling direct and get back.
Thanks

User_Removed
28 Feb 2009 - 5:43 PM

If you have selected ICM & no colour adjustment in the print setup box there should not be a printer profile available or selected.

User_Removed
28 Feb 2009 - 5:50 PM

That should have read "printer setup box"

clivew
clivew  7
28 Feb 2009 - 6:06 PM

Thanks for all the help so far,
Changed to let printer determine colours and carried out a test print, it does look better but as the light is failing need to check in daylight to be certain.

I can not find an ICM option in the print window are you talking about the convert to profie option in the edit menu, where there is a microsoft (ICM) option in the conversion engine choice?

clivew
clivew  7
28 Feb 2009 - 6:11 PM

Sorry, yes the colour management in there, under advanced options, is ICM managed by host system.
Is that correct?

User_Removed
28 Feb 2009 - 6:14 PM

Sorry clivew I have to go out, hopefully someone will pick up on the possibility that profiling is being set by the printer and photoshop which is not good !

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.