Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

colour or mono

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    youmightlikethis
    youmightlikethis e2 Member 121015 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
    29 Jul 2013 - 6:46 PM

cant decide does mono kill the impact of the image

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Jul 2013 - 6:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43913 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jul 2013 - 6:52 PM

B&W can work exceptionally well on some images, and can be equally unsuitable on others. It all depends on the subject, and to an extent, the tonal range.

Malc

Last Modified By saltireblue at 29 Jul 2013 - 6:52 PM
    Gundog
    Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
    29 Jul 2013 - 7:45 PM

Depends what you want to portray.

Generally, mono will enhance some images by concentrating the viewer's attention on shape, form, texture and contrasts without the distraction of colour. Works for some subjects but not for all.

A research survey a few years ago in an London exhibition showed that, after normalising for other factors, people spent on average twice as long looking at a mono photograph than a colour one.

Last Modified By Gundog at 29 Jul 2013 - 7:46 PM
    MichaelMelb_AU
    29 Jul 2013 - 9:11 PM

One picture is worth thousand words they say:

This image was taken at Philip Island Classics 2013, Australia. A couple of old steel grey Daimler cars. The cars would look almost exactly the same in color - but with added distraction of green grass, color banners, blue sky the eye just would slid off them. Here, being taken on B&W film they have an authentic "classic" feel - at least for me.Smile Some may disagree - and that will just confirm that there are no ironclad standards in color use.

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 29 Jul 2013 - 9:11 PM
    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315347 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jul 2013 - 11:47 PM

Its job to decide at this size, they both work for me for different reasons, the colour version smacks you in the face while the B&W makes you look deeper and its easier to pick out other things like facial expressions and so on.

p7070027.jpg

p7070027bw.jpg

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.