Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Colour spaces again

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    julesm
    julesm  101698 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    12 May 2012 - 4:28 PM

Im still confused about this area, even after trawling the net for answers.

I understand the principles, but I am confused right now by one thing. Why when I Proof an sRGB image in sRGB, do the colours look awful?

1)I shoot in Raw,
    2) load into Lightroom,
    3) export to jPeg - Adobe 1998,
    4) work in CS5 (aRGB workspace),
    5) use 'Convert to Profile' to convert to sRGB,

which all seems fine.

But if I then view Proof colours and set to sRGB, the pic looks terrible. What am I missing?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 May 2012 - 4:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

julesm
    12 May 2012 - 4:45 PM

The image looks fine in explorer, so Im assuming I should just not Proof the image in sRGB

big fella
    big fella  11485 forum posts England
    12 May 2012 - 4:55 PM

What colour space is Lightroom using? I had an issue with LR exports and they were in Pro Photo RGB, is this the cause of your problem?

Andy

julesm
    12 May 2012 - 4:56 PM

Sorted, Ive just checked some images that I got Loxley to print, and they exhibit the same thing, so Im happy.
    Thanks for the help Smile

User_Removed
    12 May 2012 - 5:37 PM

This from our erstwhile and long-term member Keith Henson:

Colour Management Workflow

Jump down to the section labeled 'Space' to answer your immediate question then....

Go back to the top and start to read the WHOLE thing! Wink

julesm
    12 May 2012 - 7:32 PM

Thanks Mike, and yes, I have read all that, more than a few times, and as I said, I think Im fairly happy with the concept, I just struggling to get my head round why soft proofing an sRGB image in sRGB looks awful?

If its just a proofing thing, then Im not fussed as long as the pics look right on the net and Loxley print it how I see it when I'm working on it.

@Big Fella, LR was in Pro Photo RGB, but I have since changed it to aSRG, which at least now given me consistency between LR and my aSRG workspace in CS5.

I guess all I need to know, is; am I doing the right thing by converting my aSRG jpegs into sRGB, and ignore the fact that I dont quite understand why soft proofing gives odd results.

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    13 May 2012 - 12:00 AM

The theoretical difference in sRGB proof colour in Photoshop is that it doesn't use your monitor profile, so it's just showing you what your current colour space would look like in a non colour-managed environment on a typical sRGB monitor. As you rightly observe, if you proof sRGB as sRGB there should theoretically be no change, just as there wouldn't be in 'save for web' using Internet proofing.

So if you see a colour shift you might want to look around for a possible flaw in your configuration. One that I know of is the advanced setting of 'Enable OpenGL Drawing' being too high for your computer. (see below). That can cause the weirdness you describe.

opengl.jpg

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    13 May 2012 - 12:31 AM

...incidentally there's zero point in soft proofing an sRGB image in sRGB, other than to find hiccups in your Photoshop configuration.

Ideally you should cop hold of Loxley's printing profile and proof using that. You could go one stage further and convert to that profile using the rendering intent of your choice, and then strip the printer profile from the final file (as Loxley aren't colour-managed this'll have no ill consequence).

Last Modified By GlennH at 13 May 2012 - 12:32 AM
    rogleale
    rogleale  11120 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

Is your monitor calibrated?
    If it is, the only two proofing set-ups that you should be using are:
    Your monitor profile, or the printer/paper profile.
    If you proof to sRGB and your monitor profile is far from sRGB the viewed colours are bound to be wrong.
    GlennH was correct when he said that you should get hold of the printing labs profile, in fact some labs demand that you use their profile.

Roger

julesm
    13 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

Quote: The theoretical difference in sRGB proof colour in Photoshop is that it doesn't use your monitor profile, so it's just showing you what your current colour space would look like in a non colour-managed environment on a typical sRGB monitor. As you rightly observe, if you proof sRGB as sRGB there should theoretically be no change, just as there wouldn't be in 'save for web' using Internet proofing.

So if you see a colour shift you might want to look around for a possible flaw in your configuration. One that I know of is the advanced setting of 'Enable OpenGL Drawing' being too high for your computer. (see below). That can cause the weirdness you describe.

OMG, it was that setting! Many thanks Glenn
    sRGB now looks like sRGB Smile

julesm
    13 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Thanks Roger, and yes, all calibrated etc.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.