Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Colourspace gurus - help please!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    jimthistle73
    20 Dec 2011 - 11:44 AM

Morning all.

I'm having occasional printing issues - it's happening with cheap online printing (Photobox) and with my local pro lab too. The prints have the same issues no matter where I print them.

So I have a nice photo of a couple at a church door (for instance). Skin tones look great, nice punchy curves layer, but nothing over the top. It comes back from the printers looking a bit washed out, the couple have yellowy-grey skin and there's hardly any red at all.

It is only an occasional problem - I've got round it in the past by just knocking the red channel up to silly amounts but the prints still aren't the best. I callibrate my monitor frequently with a Spyder2.

Everything goes from Lightroom to Photoshop (if required) and I wonder if the problem is creeping in here? I've just checked some recent 'problem prints' and they all tell me that they are "North American General Purpose" and sRGB so far as I can tell.

However, if I key in; Edit, Assign Profile, it looks like the default is ProPhoto RGB, rather than sRGB - is that right? When I set 'Assign Profile' to sRGB I get all the nasty tones which appear in my prints on my screen.

Image > Mode tells me my files are 8 Bit/Channel, RGB jpegs.

Any help would be amazing - I'm wasting lots of money on reprints and experiments :-(

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Dec 2011 - 11:44 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH
    GlennH  91886 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Dec 2011 - 12:00 PM

You don't ordinarily need to use 'assign profile'.

Open 'convert to profile' and check the source space. You're probably sending files in too large a colour space, as you suspect, which most labs won't be able to deal with.

User_Removed
    20 Dec 2011 - 12:02 PM

My guess is you're sending stuff in ProPhoto colourspace to a lab which doesn't see that's what it is (or can't handle it) so assigns sRGB. You should convert them to sRGB before sending em off

jimthistle73
    20 Dec 2011 - 12:04 PM

Hi Glenn,

I wouldn't normally 'assign profile' - in fact, until this started happening I never even looked at it Smile When I open 'convert to profile', it looks like it's already on sRGB IEC etc, etc.

jimthistle73
    20 Dec 2011 - 12:06 PM

Hi Chris - how's tricks? Is it possible that when I right click on a LR image, and send it off to PS, it's converting it to ProPhoto do you think?

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96214 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Dec 2011 - 12:07 PM

Why are you going into PS ?

jimthistle73
    20 Dec 2011 - 12:09 PM

JJGEE - it's usually for delicate retouching work - most of it could be done in Lightroom, but I find it easier in Photoshop.

User_Removed
    20 Dec 2011 - 12:09 PM

Hi Jamie, I'm good, hope you're well.

I think that could be it, the point where you send it to PS, but some Lightroom or Photoshop setting must come into play at that instant.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 20 Dec 2011 - 12:10 PM
    GlennH
    GlennH  91886 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Dec 2011 - 12:10 PM

One thing you should ensure is that you have all the profile warning boxes ticked in colour settings, just to warn you of any colour anomalies when the photo is being opened. If you haven't got a profile embedded, for instance, Photoshop makes the assumption that the file is in the same colour space as your Photoshop working space and will encode the colour accordingly, potentially causing colour shifts (the same as the ones you observe in Assign Profile).

User_Removed
    20 Dec 2011 - 12:12 PM

Glenn's hit the nail on the head. If you have the warnings ticked you'll see where and when it's happening.

20-12-2011-12-11-30.jpg

jimthistle73
    20 Dec 2011 - 12:14 PM

Chris, the more I look at the images which I've had bother with, the more I think you're right - the LR>PS>LR thing seems to be the common link.

Glenn, thanks again - I've done that now. As a workaround in the meantime, I'll just export everything from LR first, and open in PS using File>Open.

jembo
    jembo  10103 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Dec 2011 - 7:09 PM

Ask your lab to put their colour profile on a disc and load it into Photoshop. (That's what I had to do with my local lab).

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.