Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Come in D70, your time is up...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

sillyconguru
2 Apr 2006 - 6:25 AM

Quote: better to leave the camera alone and use post editing for corrections, else Nikon is going to recieve a lot of D70's back for repairs/resetting to factory defaults after people mess with it.

Best these users put their cameras back in the box and send them back right now Grin

You can easily change from using a custom curve and using one of Nikon's presets.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Apr 2006 - 6:25 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chrisfroud
5 Apr 2006 - 12:59 AM

Thats to be expected, presumably these applications don't understand the profile thats attached to them (ie they don't realise they're supposed to be adobeRGB). Therefore they assume a standard sRGB colourspace and all the colours will look wrong. Solution, work in AdobeRGB and convert to sRGB profile when you want to export them somewhere else.

Chris

laticman
laticman  974 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Apr 2006 - 8:30 AM

Whatever happend to just enjoying taking photos,sounds to me like this digital world has taken the art of photography away a little.eg..(raw, jpegs,) All the work required on a pc after boring or what.

Come on taking pics is what you all want to do,not see how good you can improve the image after you`ve taken it.(manipulation in my eyes) Do you agree?...

Get back to film ...its the future...?

keithh
keithh  1022764 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2006 - 9:22 AM

I think you're slightly missing the point there.

What digital has done is place the Printing of photographs within reach of the everyday photographer. He/she doesn't have to send them away to a lab or pay through the nose for a Print Man to do the work. They can now take full control of their image at every stage.

The drawback is that they then begin to realise why we paid Print Men so much money back in the day and why we see so many HORRENDOUS digitally produced prints.

But it's a stage further in the learning process and has nothing to do with a lack of art or skill at the taking stage.

tepot
tepot  94416 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Apr 2006 - 1:27 PM

looks like he also uses a digital camera Wink

what he means though i think is trying to get it right when you hit the shutter, rather than trying to 'repair' it afterwards with software. remember though, manipulation can make a mediocre picture great and i'm all for it, also remember that pouring syrup on sh!t, doesn't make pancakes!

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014448 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2006 - 1:33 PM

We'll take your word for that last bit of info Terry.

ardbeg77
ardbeg77  101214 forum posts Sao Tome and Principe6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2006 - 1:37 PM

Quote: remember that pouring syrup on sh!t, doesn't make pancakes!

Try telling that to McDonald's.....!

LAF
LAF  111735 forum posts
7 Apr 2006 - 9:57 AM

Look, just forget it. You could've tought the cows to program the VCR by now.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87271 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2006 - 11:15 AM

Hi Photomonkey,

Well I have read everyones advice as I found the same problem when I first bought mine. All the photo's seemed a bit dull and lifeless.

The only thing I can add is start shooting in manual and really get to know the camera.
Shoot in raw + jpg ,if you don't have Nikon Capture you can download Nikon View 6 free from the Nikon site.

Also read up on the different metering modes, it all makes a difference. I try and keep the camera as standard and then sort out levels in PS.

At least with digital you can eventually get there through trial and error if nothing else.

By the way csurry your advice was really useful.

cathy

MikeMar
MikeMar e2 Member 8MikeMar vcard United Kingdom
8 Apr 2006 - 12:33 AM

Hi
I have just got a D2X, I only shoot in raw, 90% of the time in A priority,unless at the bike racing then its S priority.I always check the histogram for exposure,looking at the screen on a sunny day tells you not alot.
You have to remember a digital SLR is just one piece,in an image making kit,your PC is the other.The D70 is an exellent digital camera,so dont give up on it.
Good luck Mike

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.