Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Comet falls to Earth

KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2012 12:04PM

Quote:have to accept ever rising income tax for those in work to pay for the increasing numbers out of work

That has been said for decades, as far back as I can remember.
I once met a chap in a pub that was well known for not ever done a days work in his life who was fit and healthy throughout.

Quote:while the internet company just needs a supply agreement with the vendor,

I was surprised to find that a small piece of furniture I ordered online from Argos was delivered in under 7 days shipped from Hong Kong. I think the term is "Just in Time"

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
4 Nov 2012 12:05PM
If any company's outgoings are lower because of legal tax avoidance we are are only too happy to take advantage of ther lower prices they offer! Wink

I buy practically everything on the web these days............... except food and petrol!
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2012 12:07PM
Is it not ironic that as I point out Amazon are exploiting a loop hole and the tax system the site includes a link to this company. But CB the tax to be gathered is the same so you have avoided it but that puts up the rate of tax somewhere else. you may have shared it out.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
4 Nov 2012 12:15PM

Quote:But CB the tax to be gathered is the same so you have avoided it but that puts up the rate of tax somewhere else. you may have shared it out.

Wasn't it Ivana Trump who said "Only little people pay taxes" ?! Grin

Edit: It was Leona Helmsley .
4 Nov 2012 12:25PM
Yes enough said CB Wink
dcash29 9 1.9k England
4 Nov 2012 12:33PM
John i have never gone to a shop and tried the product then bought online. I find that behavior totally inappropriate.

People even buy off QVC try the product for a month and return it and get a full refund, how can a shop survive with that?
These days people have no morals when it comes to shopping. They don't stop to think how they would feel if treated the same.

But don't moan when people lose their jobs and the high street is a thing of the past.

Wasn't Ebay in the news last week for only paying 1 million tax on 800 million due to a loop hole with trading outside of the country?

Doesn't happen in France.
4 Nov 2012 12:38PM
I agree with you we need to tighten our tax laws up. I guess I have said enough.
dcash29 9 1.9k England
4 Nov 2012 12:44PM
My grandfather who was born in 1898 always said, look after the country and the country will look after you.

If you read into that correctly you'll see my point.
4 Nov 2012 12:53PM
I agree with you grandfather and can see your point.,
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
4 Nov 2012 12:56PM

Quote:My grandfather who was born in 1898 always said, look after the country and the country will look after you.

You grandfather will have lived through WW1 and presumably WW2. I wonder whether he thought we looked after war veterans well?
Gudgeon 7 128 England
4 Nov 2012 5:14PM
Quote: Seems to me like yet another asset stripping Venture Capital company has struck

Collywobbles said:

Nothing wrong with that - if Comet had maintained a strong business the Cap Venture Co would not have been interested so you cannot blame Capital Venturists.

Having bought it for just 2 two years ago, it leaves a sour taste in the mouth though, especially when you you then read that the head of the Cap Venture Company used to be the head of one of their main competitors. Wink
jondf 8 2.5k
4 Nov 2012 7:55PM

Quote:I would not mind as long as Amazon starts to pay some tax

It really is unacceptable that an organisation priding itself on the delivery of excellent customer service should be allowed to get away with this. My initial reaction to the revelation was that UK PLC would at least get due VAT revenues but it seems those at Amazon are side-stepping that obligation too......disgraceful
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
4 Nov 2012 10:24PM
And now Apple, only 2% corporation tax paid outside the US http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20197710
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
5 Nov 2012 12:39AM
OK, so people must stop buying Macs then..................... Chris_L will be delighted! Grin
jondf 8 2.5k
5 Nov 2012 1:51PM

Quote:OK, so people must stop buying Macs then.....

....and stop using Amazon? Morally yes but the lazy, complacent, relatively 'Amazon Happy' chappy inside me can't be ar*ed .....ooops

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.