Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Comet falls to Earth

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2012 - 1:55 PM

Aspects of my life would cease to exist without A***on. Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Nov 2012 - 1:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
5 Nov 2012 - 3:24 PM

Quote: Aspects of my life would cease to exist without A***on.

Yes, I know what you mean. However, I expect Amazon (and any others) to be brought to book over what must surely be some kind of loop-hole dodge. Not to be paying VAT in the country of purchase is wrong.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2012 - 3:56 PM

To take slightly different slant on this subject, one of my annoyances is the practice of shops pricing things cheaper on their website than in their shop.

A recent purchase from a high street chain... by from the store at 600, or order from the website, and collect from store an hour later at 330....

OK, so this was flagged as a 'web special offer' - but it does seem to be a common practice for offering lower prices on the website.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96207 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2012 - 4:03 PM

Quote: shops pricing things cheaper on their website than in their shop.

Waterstones bookshop have a similar practice.

Ordering online and collecting the book from your local store is cheaper than actually ordering from within the shop itself ! !

Jestertheclown

Quote: Not to be paying VAT in the country of purchase is wrong.

Every one of us would avoid it if we thought we could get away with it.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
11 Nov 2012 - 9:50 AM

Quote: Every one of us would avoid it if we thought we could get away with it.

That may or may not be so but not an internationally recognised company like Amazon. Any loophole wants closing fast.

thewilliam
11 Nov 2012 - 9:54 AM

Boots the Chemist relocated to Zurich. Was this for tax reasons?

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2012 - 11:58 AM

Quote: We're not hiding our profits we're reinvesting, says Boots owner Pessina

Italian who co-owns Alliance Boots with private equity firm KKR hits back angrily at criticism of the group's low tax bill

from here

there is always more to the story than the headlines

losbarbados
11 Nov 2012 - 12:20 PM

Quote: Not to be paying VAT in the country of purchase is wrong.

Quote:
Every one of us would avoid it if we thought we could get away with it.

Amazon don't avoid VAT, they avoid Corporation tax
They don't pay VAT, they collect it on behalf of HMRC, it is only the end user that pays VAT

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314819 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2012 - 1:46 AM

Quote: Boots the Chemist relocated to Zurich. Was this for tax reasons?

Yep Smile

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1339026/Britains-biggest-firms-moving-of...

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012518 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2012 - 7:31 AM

Some of the big water companies are also avoiding paying corporation tax, at the same time as paying large bonuses to bosses and getting tax incentives to invest in infrastructure back from the government. Sad

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2012 - 9:37 AM

until we have an effective tax system such tax avoidance schemes are legal and it seems pointless to "Name & Shame" companies that make use of legal mechanisms to reduce their tax bills.

This simply lets the governments of the day (of what ever flavour) escape from their responsibilty to sort the system out.

The tax system in this country has become more and more bloated and less effective over decades

none of us will offer to pay more tax than we need

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014008 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2012 - 9:39 AM

Quote: Until we have an effective tax system such tax avoidance schemes are legal and it seems pointless to "Name & Shame" companies that make use of legal mechanisms to reduce their tax bills.

This simply lets the governments of the day (of what ever flavour) escape from their responsibilty to sort the system out.

Without the naming and shaming there would be no calls to sort the system out...

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
12 Nov 2012 - 9:48 AM

Perhaps, but it does seem a bit perverse to attempt to "shame" companies who are in compliance with the law as it stands. A touch hypocritical too, unless the feeling is that we should all volunteer to pay more tax than we are required to by law.

Jestertheclown
12 Nov 2012 - 9:54 AM

Quote: unless the feeling is that we should all volunteer to pay more tax than we are required to by law.

. . . and we're all going to do that.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.