Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Comment on ePhotozine lens reviews - errors/typos

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Leif
    Leif  9722 forum posts
    18 Jun 2006 - 10:21 AM

I have a few comments for the author(s) of the lens reviews.

In the Tamron 180mm F3.5 lens review:

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=372

The picture of the harbour was not taken with the review lens. It was in fact taken with a Sigma 70-300 lens, as can be seen if you go to the review of that lens:

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=369

In the Nikon 200mm F4 AF micro review:

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=357

It states that:

"Sharpness is good within in the limits of its range."

Could you please explain what that means. I think it is meaningless. (There is also a trivial typo in that sentence.)

In the same review, there is a link to a full size picture of a door:

http://www.ephotozine.com/images/nik200-f4.jpg

The plane of focus is on the bollard, not the door, unlike other reviews, possibly giving the viewer a misleading impression.

In fact I have noticed that the plane of focus varies between test photos, especially with the harbour images.

In the same review, there is a link to a picture of a harbour:

http://www.ephotozine.com/images/nik200-f8.jpg

Numerous dust spots are apparent. As an aside, this image is awful. I am sure my manual focus 200mm lens would have done better. Was the review specimen a lemon?

In the Sigma 150mm F2.8 review:

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=347

The link to the full size picture of the harbour is dead.

(I looked at the above reviews only, so have no comments on others.)

I also do not see the point of plotting the MTF 50 as on its own that does not tell you very much. That can be seen by comparing MTF 50 plots with resolution plots for samples of the same lens. MTF 50 tells you about macro contrast, but no more. It probably favours Nikon as it is said that Nikon lenses tend to be more contrasty than competing products.

Leif

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Jun 2006 - 10:21 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BOB S
    BOB S  122622 forum posts
    18 Jun 2006 - 12:34 PM

Leif,

Perhaps if you spent a bit more time learning to use the site properly (including links in your posts) people would take you a bit more seriously.

I think the same views are used for all lenses to allow people to make sensible comparisons using the same image content, please make sure that your assumptions are correct.

BOB

Leif
    Leif  9722 forum posts
    18 Jun 2006 - 12:59 PM

BOB: Do you have anything sensible to say? Leif

Leif
    Leif  9722 forum posts
    18 Jun 2006 - 1:08 PM

In the Canon 5D review:

"Here I have compared the EOS 5D the the similarly priced eight megapixel Nikon D200."

The above contains one typo and two serious factual errors.

Leif

theorderingone
    18 Jun 2006 - 2:01 PM

Hi Leif, that is my typo and it will be rectified in the morning. Please accept my apologies.

I was working on two reviews at the same time. Unfortunately as I am human, I do make the odd mistake.

If you do spot errors, typos, or anything else, we have a link at the bottom of each page for reporting errors or abuse. We'd appreciate it if you could use that for reporting errors, rather than the forum.

Ian has written a FAQ on how he tests lenses and explains why he uses MTF50 here. MTF50 is the level of resolution at which most people perceive sharpness. That's why Ian chose that level.

If you wish to contact me to talk about the reviews on ePHOTOzine please email me. My email address is on the team page

Fishnet
    Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jun 2006 - 3:33 PM

I wish I had that much spare time !

PSILVERMAN
    18 Jun 2006 - 8:07 PM

I think Leif must be a traffic warden and if he hasn't got anything more important to worry about then I heartily congratulate him.
    Phil.

Leif
    Leif  9722 forum posts
    18 Jun 2006 - 10:11 PM

Hello theorderingone: Thanks. Okay, I'll forward any comments using the link as and when I find anything else amiss. I understand what MTF is.

BOB/urbanite/PSILVERMAN

I would rather you focussed on the content of my posting rather than engage in (mild) personal abuse. I am contemplating a ~200mm macro lens to replace my old one that has fungus. Hence my interest in some of the reviews and my concern about errors. The extremely poor behaviour of the Nikon 200mm AF macro lens evidenced by the example image is a great surprise as it contradicts other reviews I have seen, and hence my query about a lemon.

Leif

BOB S
    19 Jun 2006 - 11:56 AM

Leif

Quote: BOB: Do you have anything sensible to say? Leif

Yes,

1) Learn to make links in your posts so that people can navigate what you are talking about without having to revert to copy and pasting.

You will find a lot more people will actually look at your links if you do so.

2) Buy some silica gel packs to put in your camera bag (or where ever you store your lenses) to stop them getting damp and fungus.

BOB

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jun 2006 - 12:05 PM

If you do use silica bags remember to either replace them periodicaly or stick them in a warm oven to dry them out. After a few weeks they become less effective

hobbs
    hobbs  101222 forum posts United Kingdom
    19 Jun 2006 - 1:47 PM

Edited, didn't realise you mean't the links.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jun 2006 - 1:59 PM

Hi Leif
    Thanks for pointing out those mistakes, much appreciated. We're fixing them now. I've corrected the pointer for the harbour shot on the Tamron 180mm, and also added one for the close up of the door that didn't have a link until now.

Fishnet
    Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jun 2006 - 2:15 PM

Oh honestly, it was a light hearted joke not personal abuse !!!
    My husband says it to me when he comes home and sees all the photos I've taken in the day, if I viewed it as personal abuse I'd be divorced by now !
    Oh well, I guess some people are more serious than others. Sorry.

BOB S
    19 Jun 2006 - 7:52 PM

Leif,

HELLO - what about my suggestions then?

BOB

Leif
    Leif  9722 forum posts
    20 Jun 2006 - 6:55 AM

Pete: Good news, thanks. I was interested in seeing the missing image. Leif

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.