Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Commercial use of digital images - A Fair Price To Ask ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    JanieB43
    JanieB43  647 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jan 2012 - 5:07 AM

Having been successful for the first time in selling one of my images to a company which provides wall art to several big high street chains - (see image here ) I'm interested to hear what you guys consider is a fair price to ask/accept for my work.
    This image has been sold on a 5 year licence (where they have sole rights to the copyright for this length of time) for 150. Now I know that this is my first sale (and I certainly don't want to outprice myself or appear greedy) and as yet I am fairly unproven in the world of commercial sales but do you think it's a fair price to accept ? They only need to sell this image ten times at 15 a throw and they've covered their outlay !! Having thought about this I wonder if the sale price should reflect the length of licence - after all I cannot sell this image to anyone else for 5 years and if I'd sold this as prints from my website it's fair to say I would've made 150 in 2 or 3 single sales. Would a fairer price for a licence of this length been more like 300 - 500 ? My head is spinning with uncertainty that I've made the right decision. What do I do if they come back for more of my stuff ? Do I ask a higher price or accept the lower offer and stick with what might turn out to be quite a regular earning opportunity ?

Please guys help me out here...........

Desperate but not that greedy........Jane

Last Modified By JanieB43 at 9 Jan 2012 - 5:08 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Jan 2012 - 5:07 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saxon_image
    9 Jan 2012 - 9:23 AM

While the Alamy price calculator suggests in the region of 1900 for similar use it's an unreliable beast as real market prices are well below the indicated starting point. However, they are asking for exclusive use which ought to bump it up a bit. Given real Alamy prices as opposed to the calculator I suspect around 800 might be nearer the mark but I'll be interested to see what others think.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    GlennH
    GlennH  91894 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jan 2012 - 9:52 AM

I think your 300 - 500 estimate is fairly astute, given the modern value of photography. A price of 150 is very obviously low for exclusive rights, but there is a real risk of you losing the sale if you push for more because that's the reality of too many people virtually giving their pictures away. The quality of the image might save you, but it's a risk. A fair price is one that is useful to you, otherwise stand your ground and filter out the ****takers!

Last Modified By GlennH at 9 Jan 2012 - 10:01 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    keithh
    keithh  1022805 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jan 2012 - 9:57 AM

150 for five years exclusive is laughable - however - you're an unknown quantity and the type of image they are licensing from you is not a hard one to bag from another photographer at discount rates.

Its a hard market at the moment - I'd push for the exclusive removed but then again it's one photograph - you could take it again this year and sell that one to hearts content - in fact I would place a bet that you took more than just this one and you've another taken four seconds later.

Take the money and run but make sure that they know that each new image is negotiable. ...and don't listen to those who say that you never get anywhere by giving something away - it never hurt Picasso.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.