Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Common mistakes made by novice photographers

jeroni 10 10
3 Jul 2011 4:09PM
Greetings,

If you have bought an expensive camera (like a DSLR with a removable lens) because you think it will automatically take better pictures, you are fooling yourself. Everyone should know about these 10 common mistakes :

If you are a pro photographer your comments are welcome.

W.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
3 Jul 2011 4:27PM
Hi Jeroni. Look forward to seeing some of your photos. Smile
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
3 Jul 2011 4:57PM
6 years a member and no piccy's...

It would be nice to see some of your work. Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
3 Jul 2011 5:22PM

Quote:Everyone should know about these 10 common mistakes

Rules Smile

Fine if your a beginner, but if you want to get to the next level its time to either bend the rules, or chuck them in the bin.
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2011 5:26PM

Quote:If you are a pro photographer your comments are welcome.

Sorry W.

Does that mean if we are not pro you don't want us to comment? I can't quite understand your intention in saying this.

For what it is worth: I agree, but I don't think the article you refer to is not particularly brilliant. Perhaps its just me, but some pretty fundamental errors are shown in the images that are used to illustrate (since these don't seem to be referred to as examples of NOT what to do I imagine they are intended as good examples). In a nutshell - they demonstrate that PS is also not the answer - they all look over processed to me.

Adam
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
3 Jul 2011 5:50PM

Quote:If you are a pro photographer your comments are welcome

But I`ve seen some very bad pro photographers Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
3 Jul 2011 6:08PM
Perhaps Jeroni will post a few pics to show us how it should be done. Smile

The article suffers, like most "Top Ten"-type articles from being a bit simplistic and indeed didactic. No more than OK-ish.
thewilliam 6 4.8k
3 Jul 2011 6:23PM
As a vulgar professional with decades of experience, I could add a few more.

ALWAYS make sure there's a card in the camera before you put it away. Many of us have grabbed the camera from the safe and rushed outside to record something special, only to find that there's no card in the camera.

SET the camera to lock the shutter if there's no card inserted.

My cameras have been distinguished with coloured tape on the prism housing since the day that I put a film into one camera and then picked up another, identical, body for the shoot.

I could go on .......
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
3 Jul 2011 8:34PM

Quote:Many of us have grabbed the camera from the safe

Blimey! Grin

Add... always keep your camera in a safe? Wink
jogennard 8 117 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2011 8:47PM
Personally I find a camera bag a lot more practical...and lighter, than a safe!!!Wink
monkeygrip 6 574 6 England
3 Jul 2011 8:58PM
Why does everyone assume that controlling the electronics are the most important tips for beginners.

2 massive tips that I have seen many times in my classes are just hold the camera the right way to be steady and dont get to close to the object or subject you want to shoot because it will probably be inside the minimum focal length of your lens.

And the all time classic "But its got 10 megapixels it should be good at taking picture" yep an actual comment in one of my courses it took me 7 minutes to gather myself before kicking him out.

Again another great tip for beginners understand what the word photography means before you even pick up the magic box lol.
BigRick 9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2011 8:58PM
All my gear goes in a safe... a fireproof one at that.

Not all my gear, all the time, but my hard drives and important paperwork are always in there.

As for the list.... OK i guess.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
3 Jul 2011 9:29PM

Quote:...another great tip for beginners understand what the word photography means before you even pick up the magic box

And 'the magic box' STILL remains nothing more than a tool - even when one understands what the word 'Photography' fully means!! Wink
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
3 Jul 2011 9:47PM
OK, this thread started as a bit of a red herring and the flaws in the original reference are obvious.

But how about we all try to give one tip for a beginner to think about?

Limited to one per contributor and no slagging off each-ther's suggestions.

Here is mine for starters:

"Before you press the shutter release, think about the message you want the image to convey."
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
3 Jul 2011 10:03PM
"Sometimes thinking too much means you will lose a shot. In these situations, grab your shot quickly; you may then have time to do another shot with everything set up perfectly.... or you may not, in which case you have at least got something"

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.