Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Common sense for once, without all of the H & S malarkey

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2012 - 8:45 PM

street party

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Aug 2012 - 8:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
16 Aug 2012 - 9:03 PM

I don't believe it!!!

It must be a hoax. Grin Grin

Jestertheclown
16 Aug 2012 - 9:36 PM

H&S and all that that entails will still need to be in place. They haven't sidestepped that.

What they have done is to circumvent a load of red tape.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2012 - 9:42 PM

Permission for the party, was granted within 48 hours

Nowhere near enough time for RA/MS's to be evaluated and approved, if indeed any were produced

Jestertheclown
16 Aug 2012 - 9:48 PM

Quote: Permission for the party, was granted within 48 hours

That the circumvention that I was referring to.

You can write a mission statement on the way there, carry out a risk assessment on the morning and have them approved on the spot by someone with the relevant qualifications.

Jestertheclown
16 Aug 2012 - 9:56 PM

"Mission statement?"

. . . "Method statement!"

puertouk
puertouk  21073 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2012 - 9:44 AM

Typical red tape from a lot of power hungry councilors who think they are God. The girl won 2 gold medals for the UK, the council should have suggested a street party in the first place. What muppets they are!

User_Removed
17 Aug 2012 - 11:05 AM

And no doubt they would be called muppets if something had gone wrong and they had acted without due care.....lets spare the odd thought for the poor sods who cant win .....just for a change!!!!!!

mikehit
mikehit  56484 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2012 - 11:46 AM

I agree, bornstupix.
I was heartened to see that it was the county council who advised them on how to get round the regulations. I love the phrase 'thronging on the highway' - Goons-like daftness and smutty schoolboy humour all rolled into one.

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2012 - 2:57 PM

Definitely support people having fun, but I have also been held up for a couple of hours when a main route in Wales was blocked in peak holiday season by a street party (which I suspect had overstepped the area it was supposed to use) and on another occasion I had to drive a long way round a street party for the Queen's jubilee - the people putting up bunting etc gave us a very irritating superior, us and them look, too - which was annoying. If they had been friendly then I wouldn't have been bothered by that one at all! But I do feel in general, someone other than a party goer needs to be responsible for the implications of closing roads!

thewilliam
17 Aug 2012 - 3:17 PM

Commonsense died some years back and there was an obituary printed in the Times.

http://kassiedavidson.hubpages.com/hub/Common-Sense---London-Times-Obituary

Last Modified By thewilliam at 17 Aug 2012 - 3:18 PM
User_Removed
17 Aug 2012 - 3:44 PM

I do not mourn the passing of the non existant catch all that is labled as "commonsense", if it is the perogative of the masses who make up x factor /big brother/soap opera watchers and the buyers of "red top" newspapers...for me it never existed other than as a way of giving kudos or justification to the users particular personal belief.

mikehit
mikehit  56484 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2012 - 4:29 PM

Commonsense is all about a collective understanding of what is acceptable and in that respect is the antithesis of 'personal belief'. Without it there is the rulebook and nothing else and we end up with interfering busybodies, overbearing bureaucrats and an officious police force.

User_Removed
17 Aug 2012 - 4:48 PM

Whose collective understanding would that be?

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
17 Aug 2012 - 5:03 PM

By collective, I reckon Mike means everyone over a long period of time.

Common sense tells us not to walk in the middle of the road, not to eat bad or rotten food, to handle hot items with care, watch where you're putting yer feet, and a myriad of other things every minute of the day, in other words self preservation.

Unfortunately the State has created a situation where we all expect everything to be absolutely safe, and have no need to look after ourselves.
And if we do something stupid it's always someone elses fault if it all goes wrong.

Risk assessment in practice can never cover every possible eventuallity, someone will always do something daft that could not be foreseen.
I suppose it is remotely possible to foresee every eventuality, but it would make life impossible, there would be so many jobsworths, and warning notices everywhere which would become hazards in themselves Grin

We should all be our own risk assessment experts.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.