Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Common sense for once, without all of the H & S malarkey

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2012 - 5:15 PM

Quote: Commonsense is all about a collective understanding of what is acceptable and in that respect is the antithesis of 'personal belief'. Without it there is the rulebook and nothing else and we end up with interfering busybodies, overbearing bureaucrats and an officious police force.

In my experience it is more to do with a collective belief in something as being factual. And sometimes it isn't - we're just wrong. All of us! Not a great fan of common sense - more in favour of evidence based research. Early learning, experience and logic tell us not to stand in the middle of the road and touch hot things - I am currently seeing my grand son develop the understanding of 'hot burns'.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Aug 2012 - 5:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
17 Aug 2012 - 5:16 PM

Quote: By collective, I reckon Mike means everyone over a long period of time..

Too Vauge by far as that would include say...the taliban...Hitlers followers....the entire production team of the only way is essex...anything to do with the Bush family of Texas...Boris Johnson.....and any member of either the Thatcher fan club or The Arthur Scargill fan club

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
17 Aug 2012 - 5:35 PM

This always amuses me:

stepsdsc08957.jpg

The steps are miles from anywhere, and are there to provide safe access down the dykes for the workers, but the notice is rather incongruous.

mikehit
mikehit  56297 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2012 - 5:39 PM

Now you are just being obtuse. Every single group you have mentioned there is one with their own agendas and ideas on way things should be done which is not 'common sense'. The Cambridge Dictionary defines it as, "the basic level of practical knowledge and judgment that we all need to help us live in a reasonable and safe way". If you feel the need to have a rulebook for every single thing you do because of a fear of someone applying their own interests, then go ahead and live your life.

Have you chosen your EPZ name with great care Wink

Quote: In my experience it is more to do with a collective belief in something as being factual. And sometimes it isn't - we're just wrong.

And when that error results in danger, then 'common sense' adapts. As someone said 'When the facts change, I change my view'. Which itself is comon sense Grin

User_Removed
17 Aug 2012 - 5:50 PM

My belief in the non existance of a common sense comes from an access to higher education social science course in which common sense was defined as a method of justifying ones beliefs to the group. For common sense to exist let alone adapt it would require an unprecedented level of joined up thinking and national or even international co operation which if it existed, common sense would say has proved patently impossible to date...obtuse is not my angle and my name is a pun on being daft enough to believe I was put on this earth to create great photographs...ah the joys of delusion!

mikehit
18 Aug 2012 - 10:49 AM

Quote: My belief in the non existance of a common sense

So you celebrate the passing of something you don't believe exists. Are you French philosopher on the quiet?

Quote: from an access to higher education social science course

I think you have just reinforced what many think about the use and validity 'social sciences'. Wink

User_Removed
18 Aug 2012 - 2:06 PM

I take your point about social sciences as I am sure your own studies on the subject have shaped your opinions as have mine...as for "celebrate"...you need to re read what I said...I believe that a common sense does not exist...look at Cicero for the definition that influences my decision...
Quote: common sense was the common practice, custom, speech, views, and mentality of the crowd whose tastes the orator had to take into account if he were to influence them (De Oratore, I, 3, 12).

Jestertheclown
18 Aug 2012 - 4:21 PM

Quote: I think you have just reinforced what many think about the use and validity 'social sciences'. Wink

I think that you've just reinforced it again.

User_Removed
18 Aug 2012 - 4:26 PM

????

mikehit
18 Aug 2012 - 9:12 PM

Quote: I take your point about social sciences as I am sure your own studies on the subject have shaped your opinions as have mine...as for "celebrate"...you need to re read what I said...I believe that a common sense does not exist...look at Cicero for the definition that influences my decision... common sense was the common practice, custom, speech, views, and mentality of the crowd whose tastes the orator had to take into account if he were to influence them (De Oratore, I, 3, 12).

So when someone says something to the effect of 'it is common sense' do you understand what they mean or do you ignore it based on the fact that common sense does not exist. Or does reference to 'common sense' totally negate what they say?

User_Removed
18 Aug 2012 - 9:33 PM

I make my decisions as does everyone else...

1...I apply what I know to be true.
2...I make an educated guess at the next best course of action if step one is unavailable and a decision is urgent.
3...If time permits I make an effort to find out facts to make the said decision......

At no point do I accept as gospel anything that is passed on under the guise of "common sense" as I choose to consider it an unacceptable label based on my experience, knowledge, education and life skills.
Wether I understand,ignore or negate the said comment is minor, what is important is that the Label "common sense" will not make me accept anything as true or proven just because the person has tagged it on to the comment they are making.

ENJOY YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY ITS ALWAYS LATER THAN YOU THINK.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.