Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Compact Camera

FatBoyfocus 5 69 4 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2012 9:37AM
Hi all

Looking at buying a compact but, want something with the features of a DSLR, without having the bulky dslr.
I was looking at the Canon G12 but, not sure.

Can anyone give me some feedback on above or recommend me something in the same price range.

Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
11 Jan 2012 11:01AM
Can't comment on the Canon as I have no experience of it. But Nikon's nearest equivalent - the P7100 - is excellent.
luceombra 3 27 5 Italy
11 Jan 2012 11:34AM
Hi,

despite the fact of being a Nikon user for years (starting from film up to digital cameras- my first one was a Nikkormat and my last one is a D2X) I decided to buy the G12 Canon instead of the P7100 Nikon and i am VERY VERY VERY satisfied of its performances. It is compact enough but extremely well performing. I recommend it strongly.
For your information most of the pictures in my portfolio were taken with this small beast.
I am at your disposal for any kind of further information

Al
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2012 12:55PM
I agree with Al. Its a belting camera - although its not pocketable, and no compact is an dSLR equivilant - the sensor size and fixed lens put pay to this. Have you considered a mirrorless system like the PEN or a bridge system? I carry my G12 with me always - but the bulk of my photography is still done using my dSLR.

If you need something that does slip into your pocket take a look at the Canon S95 (now replaced with S100). The S95 is essentially the same camera, but with a smaller footprint and a different user interface. For me - size was less an issue than access to controls and usabilty - the G12 scores really well here (however, I still find the zoom fidly and imprecise - I'm used to the zoom ring on dslr system lenses). Lumix also do some very well reviewed models - there are several forum threads on this already.

Adam
Franticsmurf 12 829 Wales
11 Jan 2012 1:32PM
I have used and can recommend the Panasonic LX3. By all accounts its successor, the LX5 is as good and benefits from a slightly wider zoom range.

I've seen a number of recommendations for the Canon S95 and S100 on this site.

Are the latest m4/3s cameras too bulky? If not, I currently use a Panasonic GF1 with a 14mm or 20mm lens. Pushing the definition of 'pocketable', but more of a dSLR replacement. With the zoom lens attached it's no longer convenient to carry.

I've heard the GF2 and GF3, both smaller, aren't quite so user friendly.

Dave
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2012 1:47PM

Quote:
I've seen a number of recommendations for the Canon S95 and S100 on this site.

They use the same sensor as the G12 and produce very comparable results. The difference is in the ergonomics and a slighltly different focal range.
kinfatric 10 550 9 Scotland
14 Jan 2012 5:01PM

Quote:I've seen a number of recommendations for the Canon S95 and S100 on this site.

Quote:They use the same sensor as the G12.

The S100 has a Canon made 12.1 mp sensor and incorporates the more recent Digic 5 processor with full HD (1080p24) movie recording.
All are excellent the S95 would be a good buy with the introduction now of the s100.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
14 Jan 2012 6:55PM
I suspect that the more recent announcement of the FujiFilm X-Pro1, giving us a compact camera with an APS-C sensore and interchangeable lenses might totally re-write the entire compact camera/CSC story.

But then we said that when the NEX-7 was announced.

So maybe the story just keeps changing faster than any of us can keep up with.

There is some consolation - spend 1000 on a camera today and you are getting a machine hugely more powerful than 1000 would have bought to 5 years ago (or even 1 year ago).
kinfatric 10 550 9 Scotland
14 Jan 2012 7:20PM
The FujiFilm X-Pro1, I've been reading about this today and fancy it myself.
MeanGreeny 9 3.7k England
14 Jan 2012 9:47PM

Quote:I suspect that the more recent announcement of the FujiFilm X-Pro1, giving us a compact camera with an APS-C sensor and interchangeable lenses

It's hardly a compact camera. Have you seen the size of the thing ?

Call it 'smaller than a DSLR' and leave it at that.................
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
14 Jan 2012 10:16PM

Quote:want something with the features of a DSLR, without having the bulky dslr

Any compact system camera, there is no other alternative.

Look at Samsung, Sony, Olympus and Panasonic.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2012 10:19PM
Riaan don't be tempted to get something that is small but isn't actually small enough to go in your pocket. If you need to keep it in your hand or round your neck you'll end up leaving it home all the time.

I got the S95 because it fits in my jeans pocket. It's a proper photographer's camera and I'm happy to leave my 5D and 1D home even if I know I'll want to take photos (like at a friend's wedding) but don't want a camera round my neck.
RRRoger 4 53 United States
15 Jan 2012 6:38AM
The Nikon V1 is the first "Pocket" camera that I have been able to hand hold steady enough to get an unblurred shot.
Because it is not only a solid build, the FullTime AutoFocusing is so fast and accurate.
The V1 also give me amazing "Home Movies".
17 Jan 2012 5:36PM
The great performance and stylish design, Compact Cameras stand out from the others. They was Digital compact cameras are primarily designed for those looking for a camera which is easy to use and to carry.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
17 Jan 2012 6:52PM

Quote:I suspect that the more recent announcement of the FujiFilm X-Pro1, giving us a compact camera with an APS-C sensore and interchangeable lenses might totally re-write the entire compact camera/CSC story

I would`nt say that, Sony Nex are already using APS-C in there CSC, the Fuji Xpro 1 would have a similar effect as the Fuji X10 did on the middle/high end compact end.

What ever you get there will be a compromise somewhere.

If your locking for something with dslr features with minimum compromise then its a CSC and there`s is nothing else, and some are much cheaper than a G12 or equivalent.

Here`s a couple for example but there are more and both of these are cheaper than a G12.

Olympus EPM1 with its fast focusing, dslr sized sensor and small form factor.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus--PM1-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B0058GI8F0/ref=sr_1_42?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326765605&sr=1-42

Panasonic GF2,same sized sensor but not quite as small as the above, the pancake lens makes up for this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-Digital-Camera-14mm/dp/B004AE3964/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326824958&sr=1-6

Quote:Can anyone give me some feedback on above or recommend me something in the same price range

Prices have dropped so I`d say the Fuji X10 as a fixed lens compact, its say much fun as well Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.