Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Compact Camera Advise

Nigeyboy e2
6 537 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2009 2:16PM
Hi all

Been asked for some advise on compact cameras by a work colleague. She is in the market for decent smallish compact. Things she wants it to do are:

1) Have a decent zoom range (optical not digital!)
2) Video option (possibly HD if available)
3) As many 'help' options as possible (ie point and shoot / face recognition / anti red eye etc)
4) Budget is between £150 - £200 give or take a tenner

You get the idea!!

I have no experience whatsoever in this field so its over to you guys!! Can you recommend a decent one?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

montechoro e2
12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2009 2:25PM
This is a cracker of a camera and just in your budget - superb image quality and great reviews - a good all rounder

Great compact camera

Hard to beat at this price
15 Sep 2009 3:45PM
For the ultimate in compact digital cameras, I recommend the Panasonic Lumix TZ7. It's the only camera with a 12x optical zoom and HD video recording capability. It's a few more bucks than the F200EXR recommended above, but well worth the extra expense. Better to spend a little more now and get everything a compact digital camera can offer than to be disappointed later with the cameras limited zoom and video quality because you saved a few bucks now.
montechoro e2
12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2009 4:21PM
If you can find another £60 above the stated budget for the TZ7 it's a great camera - but Panasonic have installed some firmware that means you can only use their own (expensive) batteries - not third party ones - so be prepared for this issue.

Read as many impartial reviews as you can - see all the options - and choose the best one for you.

Fuji Review
randomrubble
10 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2009 5:17PM
Personally, from owning one, I think the Panasonic TZ7 is an very flexible camera, the lens range is wonderful, covering everything you need for most situations, but... in image quality terms it's hugely dissapointing and indeed IMO it's only just acceptable.

That said if you're only going to print 5x7s from boots it's probably fine.
Nigeyboy e2
6 537 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2009 9:53AM
Hi all

Thanks for the feedback - I have passed the ideas over to her, plus a few others I found while looking on Warehouse Express. Tried to talk her in to getting a 5D II, "Thatís got HD video" I said . . . "I can look after it for you too if you like" . . . . . . . . . !!
montechoro e2
12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2009 10:19AM
Nigeyboy - if you persuade her to get the 5D II when her budget is £200 - please can you come and speak to my wife too? Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.