Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Compact camera that shoots RAW

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

NickHaigh
NickHaigh  2 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2012 - 4:04 PM

Im searching for a compact camera that shoots in RAW mode as well as JPEG that i can carry around most of the time with no need of my heavy DSLR. Must be at least 14MP, decent zoom, not too bothered about video and a decent fast...ish lens oh and GPS! Any ideas whats out there? Money wise no more than 350!

MUST SHOOT IN RAW MODE.

Cheers Nick

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Apr 2012 - 4:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315589 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Apr 2012 - 4:24 PM

Does it need to shoot in Raw ?

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64439 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
16 Apr 2012 - 4:24 PM

Have a look at these two.
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-S100-vs-Canon_PowerShot_S95

Steppenwolf
16 Apr 2012 - 4:49 PM

Three questions:

1. Why do you need RAW when JPEG is now so good.
2. Why do you want "at least 14Mp" on a compact.
3. Why do you want GPS.

The nearest you'll get is the S100 (see above) but you run the risk of selecting a camera for a lot of features and ending up with one that doesn't take good photos. I'd stick to 10Mp (or less) on a compact and I'd forget RAW and GPS.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
16 Apr 2012 - 5:02 PM

We still have a fair bit of work to do on our equipment database but you can get a fair idea of some of the cameras and our ratings of ones that have a raw mode.

Go to the digital compact cameras section.
Select file type and tick RAW and Raw + JPG from refine results on the left.
The go to the Sort by drop down and select highest rated.

That will give all the compacts we have in the database, with ones that we've reviewed and rated appearing highest on the list.

Anyone who's never seen this feature may like to help by making sure there camera is included and that all the spec is filled in. That way the cameras will appear when refine is used. For example in this case If the camera doesn't have RAW ticked in the database it won't appear in the search. And if we missed any cameras that have RAW they need adding or amending.

teepee
teepee  11662 forum posts England
16 Apr 2012 - 5:03 PM

panasonic LX5

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 16 Apr 2012 - 5:32 PM
Craggwildlife
Craggwildlife e2 Member 672 forum postsCraggwildlife vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Apr 2012 - 6:57 PM

try this watched it on qvc last week Fuji F770 16MP 20x Superzoom can shoot in raw

worth a look

david (dlp)

nickthompson
16 Apr 2012 - 10:24 PM

Canon G12 or Nikon P7100

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315589 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Apr 2012 - 10:46 PM

My G12 should arrive tomorrow, but it's not 14 mp Sad

NickHaigh
16 Apr 2012 - 10:58 PM

Steppenwolf, i want to shoot RAW because i shoot in RAW, i want GPS because i do, but i could do without and maybe i could go down to 10 MP. So after looking online i'm down to 3 - Panasonic LX5, Canon S100 or the Fuji F770......hmmmm which one????

NickHaigh
16 Apr 2012 - 10:59 PM

David, what did they say about the Fuji and what are your thoughts?

Guin
Guin  2 United Kingdom
17 Apr 2012 - 9:59 AM

Panasonic DMC-LX5. Excellent compact. Only downside is no viewfinder and the electronic viewfinder available as an 'extra' is another 180.00. It is worth trying without though as it is surprisingly easy to get used to the 'screen' view.

Steppenwolf
17 Apr 2012 - 1:36 PM

Quote: Steppenwolf, i want to shoot RAW because i shoot in RAW

I'm glad that's cleared up.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2012 - 2:21 PM

I guess for what you mention the S100 is a good match, myself when looking for a compact camera I wanted SLR like controls so aperture priority, RAW, exposure bracketing fairly fast lens to keep ISO level down, choice of manual or auto ISO, exposure control without having to dive into endless menus. I still find RAW gives and edge over JPEG in the S95 I own.

Other good cameras to think of are the Panasonic LX5 , the olympus XZ-1 and the S95. They are different so if user interface or any personal preference tips you to one or the other it is not a big issue as all work well.

Happy hunting.

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3798 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Apr 2012 - 3:10 PM

I have the wonderful RAW, SHOOTING LX5......it only has 3x zoom which can be a bit frustrating at times which is why I keep an 18 X zoom JPEG shooting camera in my jacket pocket.

Hobbo

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.