Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Compact Cameras

ARI 12 504 United Kingdom
17 May 2013 1:34PM
Are there any high quality cpmpact cameras that use CF cards. Not a fan of the SD etc.
Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken e2
12 3.2k 4 Wales
17 May 2013 3:16PM
I'm fairly certain that none of today's compact cameras take CF cards.

SD cards are just as reliable and are the most popular these days.

Ken
17 May 2013 3:43PM
Yes Ken, they are more easy to lose and not as robust. Also, have lots of CF cards and do not fancy the expense of extra cards.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
17 May 2013 3:47PM
Your less likely to damage a camera using SD cards, not done it myself but I`ve come across a few cameras with bent pins.
ChrisV 7 827 26 United Kingdom
17 May 2013 4:12PM
CF appears to be going the way of the Dodo - of the newer cameras released in the last couple of years only the high end FF cameras take compact Flash with some [5DIII for example] having a slot for SD also. The most recent 35mm format cameras [Nikon's D600 and the Canon 6D] are SD only.

I think if you wanted a compact camera that took CF cards you'd need to look for something at least five or six years old and today's SD cards would be potentially both faster and higher capacity than any CF card available then. Now that Jessop's has gone from the High St [although Peter Jones' v2 is reappearing in select places] they're also difficult to get hold of unless you buy online.
Steppenwolf 3 971
18 May 2013 8:22AM

Quote:Yes Ken, they are more easy to lose and not as robust. Also, have lots of CF cards and do not fancy the expense of extra cards.

Cards are so cheap nowadays it's not worth worrying about the cost to the extent that you base your choice of camera on the type of card it uses.
18 May 2013 8:44AM
looks like defeat and accecpt that SD cards are the only option.
Thanks all
19 May 2013 12:47AM
Yep, and be quick: the last camera I bought had already moved on to microSD cards!

SD cards are still big enough to grasp, but microSD cards are ridiculously small, very slow, and not compatible with my card reader except via a very fiddly adaptor.

Hereís a photo of the whole family (the SanDisks, it seems). Itís hard to see in this photo how thin the microSD card is, truly a sliver of a thing. Miniaturisation run amok.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
19 May 2013 1:18AM
Yes, my most recent compact has micro SD. I wouldn't be surprised if micro SD becomes the standard making SD obsolete. Lol! Grin
19 May 2013 9:43AM
Lots easier to lose. Have droped cards in long grass etc whilst in the bush. Miniturisation for urbanites but not for bushies. When I got serious with the hobby, used to take 100-150 rolls of Fuji Sensia slide film (remenber those) with worries of storage in hot conditions and X ray machines at airports. Digital cards put an end to those bits of paranoia. Now microSD...............

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.