Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Compact Cameras

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ARI
    ARI  11500 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 May 2013 - 1:34 PM

Are there any high quality cpmpact cameras that use CF cards. Not a fan of the SD etc.
    Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 May 2013 - 1:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
    franken e2 Member 113056 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    17 May 2013 - 3:16 PM

I'm fairly certain that none of today's compact cameras take CF cards.

SD cards are just as reliable and are the most popular these days.

Ken

Last Modified By franken at 17 May 2013 - 3:16 PM
    ARI
    17 May 2013 - 3:43 PM

Yes Ken, they are more easy to lose and not as robust. Also, have lots of CF cards and do not fancy the expense of extra cards.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314957 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    17 May 2013 - 3:47 PM

Your less likely to damage a camera using SD cards, not done it myself but I`ve come across a few cameras with bent pins.

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7727 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    17 May 2013 - 4:12 PM

CF appears to be going the way of the Dodo - of the newer cameras released in the last couple of years only the high end FF cameras take compact Flash with some [5DIII for example] having a slot for SD also. The most recent 35mm format cameras [Nikon's D600 and the Canon 6D] are SD only.

I think if you wanted a compact camera that took CF cards you'd need to look for something at least five or six years old and today's SD cards would be potentially both faster and higher capacity than any CF card available then. Now that Jessop's has gone from the High St [although Peter Jones' v2 is reappearing in select places] they're also difficult to get hold of unless you buy online.

Steppenwolf
    18 May 2013 - 8:22 AM

Quote: Yes Ken, they are more easy to lose and not as robust. Also, have lots of CF cards and do not fancy the expense of extra cards.

Cards are so cheap nowadays it's not worth worrying about the cost to the extent that you base your choice of camera on the type of card it uses.

ARI
    18 May 2013 - 8:44 AM

looks like defeat and accecpt that SD cards are the only option.
    Thanks all

samueldilworth
    19 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

Yep, and be quick: the last camera I bought had already moved on to microSD cards!

SD cards are still big enough to grasp, but microSD cards are ridiculously small, very slow, and not compatible with my card reader except via a very fiddly adaptor.

Hereís a photo of the whole family (the SanDisks, it seems). Itís hard to see in this photo how thin the microSD card is, truly a sliver of a thing. Miniaturisation run amok.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    19 May 2013 - 1:18 AM

Yes, my most recent compact has micro SD. I wouldn't be surprised if micro SD becomes the standard making SD obsolete. Lol! Grin

ARI
    19 May 2013 - 9:43 AM

Lots easier to lose. Have droped cards in long grass etc whilst in the bush. Miniturisation for urbanites but not for bushies. When I got serious with the hobby, used to take 100-150 rolls of Fuji Sensia slide film (remenber those) with worries of storage in hot conditions and X ray machines at airports. Digital cards put an end to those bits of paranoia. Now microSD...............

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.