Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Compact digital advice please.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    SimPick
    SimPick  8545 forum posts Azerbaijan2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Apr 2007 - 6:44 PM

I have a digital SLR and a few L lenses, so I am sorted for that for now, but I fancy a compact "stick it in your pocket and take anywhere" camera for those days you don't want to lug a full and very heavy Lowepro rucksack everywhere.
    But the digi compact market is a real minefield these days by the looks of it. I would like to stick with Canon because I always had them and never had any problems with them. I think the Canon G7 is maybe the best, but still too big.
    It would obviously be nice to have manual control, and don't want to go spending loads either - two hundred quid max.

Anyone have any good experiences of current Canon compacts - the new Ixus 70 or 75 maybe ?? Or any of the smaller compact Powershots (A710, A640), or the 850IS or 900IS ?

Any advice and recommendations from happy and also unhappy users are most welcome.

Thanks.

Simon.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Apr 2007 - 6:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bmh1
    bmh1 e2 Member 8571 forum postsbmh1 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Apr 2007 - 7:46 PM

I'm happy with the A710 which I got as a replacement for my old A75 (the CCD failed on the A75, otherwise I'd still be using it, and the only bad pictures I had from it were due to camera shake, hence the choice of a compact with IS for a replacement).

The shot to shot times on the A710 feel a little slower than the A75 and gets a bit slower if using the flash (but then with the IS you'll need the flash less often).

Bernard

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Apr 2007 - 7:51 PM

Quote: Anyone have any good experiences of current Canon compacts

Any reason why it has to be canon?

joolsb
    joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Apr 2007 - 7:55 PM

Canon compacts don't do raw. The Panasonic LX2 is what you need!

conrad
    conrad e2 Member 910870 forum postsconrad vcard 116 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Apr 2007 - 8:17 PM

Quote: Canon compacts don't do raw. The Panasonic LX2 is what you need

Julian, nobody will mind you promoting the Panasonic, but it would be nice if you told the truth about Canon. There are Canon compacts that do RAW!

cameracat
    cameracat  108574 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Apr 2007 - 8:30 PM

OK I'm a Nikonian, But I do have a Canon IXUS 60, FAB little camera, fits in a shirt pocket Or the battery box for my D200 (ha ha) Anyhow I have found it great fun to use, the output is very useable and really quite decent.

It has some manual functions, But like most of them I guess it's all accessed through the LCD and is a bit of a fiddle, Especially if you have big ole paws like mine.

At a guess it's bigger brothers will probably be even better.

Vince

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    cuffit
    cuffit  7160 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Apr 2007 - 9:52 PM

I have a 30D but started digital experiments with a second-hand Canon Powershot G5 (from E-Bay would you believe)a couple of years ago. It does RAW, fits into a pocket (not a shirt pocket though) and is great to use with some astonishing results. I haven't got all the accessories but it has a range. Good copies can still be found and I found my conversion to the DSLR quite easy as all the controls and menus are roughly the same. I did look at the Fujifilm Finepix which received rave reviews but just a tad fiddly for me, but no doubt good quality. In fact that is probably the problem now, too much choice. Good luck in your search.

MediumSizeUnavailable

think the A640 (or A630) are probably good choices. Myself I've been very happy with the A95.
    IS is probably something you want to consider (not sure if the A640 or A630 have them though). One of the limitations of the A95 was that I had to restrict myself to taking photos in quite bright conditions. Didn't want to up the ISO as the quality got worse quite significantly. So again, IS might come in very handy. The swivelscreen on the A95 turned out to be one of its most valuable assets.

PSILVERMAN
    4 Apr 2007 - 6:14 AM

If you can get hold of a Canon S70 it will serve you well.7MP and it also does Raw and jpeg and you can have full manual control too.It's the one I carry around with me and have had images from that with libraries so the quality is good.
    It is however discontinued but I'm sure that there are some out there still.
    Phil.

theredbaron
    4 Apr 2007 - 9:52 AM

I had a compact Canon Ixus i until it screwed up a lot of low light images. I sold it and bought a Fuji F20 which seems to cope with anything.
    I still have a Canon DSLR, but with the Fuji on some websites at under £100 its difficult to resist now.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.