Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

compact digital camera

27 Jul 2014 10:32PM
im looking for a reasonable priced compact digital with an optical view finder its for my wife whos not a serious photographer. any ideas please.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
28 Jul 2014 1:33AM
What is your budget.
ikky 34 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2014 10:54AM
Very tricky question not knowing budget best bet is take her to a shop to get hands on.
Its often the case that once you get hands on youll know which one you want.
There are dozens to choose from in the sub 200 range
Having decided the exact model then go on line as they are often cheaper on line than in the shops
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
28 Jul 2014 11:18AM
The Panasonic LF1 is a nice little camera at about 270 - it has an EVF which might be more useful than an optical finder. But without knowing how much you want to spend, how can anyone help?
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
28 Jul 2014 2:17PM
An interesting function on the Pan LF1 - "New for 2013 is the "Meal Mode" which automatically recognises when you are taking a picture of plated food and optimises the settings accordingly". That'll please the foodies on facebook. Grin
28 Jul 2014 2:49PM
looks like the pan lf 1 should fit the bill and the price is right, any ideas on the delay factor if any. thanks for all your help.
28 Jul 2014 2:50PM

Quote:any ideas on the delay factor if any

What's that?
28 Jul 2014 3:05PM
i mean on some cheap compacts you press the button to take a picture then a few seconds later it actually takes it. so you miss the actual moment you saw
28 Jul 2014 3:16PM

Quote:i mean on some cheap compacts you press the button to take a picture then a few seconds later it actually takes it. so you miss the actual moment you saw

Not a factor on modern cameras - press the button, it takes the picture.

You may get a delay in very poor light if the camera can't find focus but that applies in some measure to any camera and under normal conditions, even quite poor light, modern cameras will lock on easily.
petebfrance 2 1.3k France
28 Jul 2014 3:46PM

Quote:I mean on some cheap compacts you press the button to take a picture then a few seconds later it actually takes it. so you miss the actual moment you saw

Check out the review - they test that sort of thing:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-lf1-review-22136
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
28 Jul 2014 6:00PM

Quote:Looks like the pan lf 1 should fit the bill and the price is right, any ideas on the delay factor if any. thanks for all your help.

Have a look at this Fuji as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-X10-Digital-Camera-Adapter/dp/B005JRGWNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406566738&sr=8-1&keywords=fuji+x10
mikesavage 12 248 2 England
29 Jul 2014 12:04AM
If the camera you're looking for must have an optical viewfinder, then you're not going to have many to choose from. A dying breed.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
29 Jul 2014 12:07AM

Quote:If the camera you're looking for must have an optical viewfinder, then you're not going to have many to choose from. A dying breed.

Yeh there are not many that have optical viewfinders, hence me linking an x10.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.