Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

compact digital camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    iscaphotos21
    27 Jul 2014 - 10:32 PM

im looking for a reasonable priced compact digital with an optical view finder its for my wife whos not a serious photographer. any ideas please.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Jul 2014 - 10:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jul 2014 - 1:33 AM

What is your budget.

ikky
    ikky  United Kingdom
    28 Jul 2014 - 10:54 AM

Very tricky question not knowing budget best bet is take her to a shop to get hands on.
    Its often the case that once you get hands on youll know which one you want.
    There are dozens to choose from in the sub 200 range
    Having decided the exact model then go on line as they are often cheaper on line than in the shops

lemmy
    lemmy  71873 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Jul 2014 - 11:18 AM

The Panasonic LF1 is a nice little camera at about 270 - it has an EVF which might be more useful than an optical finder. But without knowing how much you want to spend, how can anyone help?

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jul 2014 - 2:17 PM

An interesting function on the Pan LF1 - "New for 2013 is the "Meal Mode" which automatically recognises when you are taking a picture of plated food and optimises the settings accordingly". That'll please the foodies on facebook. Grin

Last Modified By SlowSong at 28 Jul 2014 - 2:21 PM
    iscaphotos21
    28 Jul 2014 - 2:49 PM

looks like the pan lf 1 should fit the bill and the price is right, any ideas on the delay factor if any. thanks for all your help.

lemmy
    28 Jul 2014 - 2:50 PM

Quote: any ideas on the delay factor if any

What's that?

iscaphotos21
    28 Jul 2014 - 3:05 PM

i mean on some cheap compacts you press the button to take a picture then a few seconds later it actually takes it. so you miss the actual moment you saw

lemmy
    28 Jul 2014 - 3:16 PM

Quote: i mean on some cheap compacts you press the button to take a picture then a few seconds later it actually takes it. so you miss the actual moment you saw

Not a factor on modern cameras - press the button, it takes the picture.

You may get a delay in very poor light if the camera can't find focus but that applies in some measure to any camera and under normal conditions, even quite poor light, modern cameras will lock on easily.

petebfrance
    28 Jul 2014 - 3:46 PM

Quote: I mean on some cheap compacts you press the button to take a picture then a few seconds later it actually takes it. so you miss the actual moment you saw

Check out the review - they test that sort of thing:
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-lf1-review-22136

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jul 2014 - 6:00 PM

Quote: Looks like the pan lf 1 should fit the bill and the price is right, any ideas on the delay factor if any. thanks for all your help.

Have a look at this Fuji as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-X10-Digital-Camera-Adapter/dp/B005JRGWNS/ref=sr...

mikesavage
    mikesavage  12239 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jul 2014 - 12:04 AM

If the camera you're looking for must have an optical viewfinder, then you're not going to have many to choose from. A dying breed.

Paul Morgan
    29 Jul 2014 - 12:07 AM

Quote: If the camera you're looking for must have an optical viewfinder, then you're not going to have many to choose from. A dying breed.

Yeh there are not many that have optical viewfinders, hence me linking an x10.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.