Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Compact flash

19 Sep 2008 10:35PM
Just realised I machine-washed an 8gb 'MyMemory; 133x compact flash card in a shirt and then left it in the damp shirt to dry. On placing it back in my camera it worked fine !!!!! Only cost me 17.99 but it seems to have withstood the full wash cycle unscathed. Has anyone else done likewise? Do they normally withstand a 40 degree wash?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

boony e2
8 978 3 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2008 10:37PM
cant see why a card shouldnt , as long as its thoroughly dried before putting it back in the cam
Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2008 9:22AM

Quote:Just realised I machine-washed an 8gb 'MyMemory; 133x compact flash card in a shirt and then left it in the damp shirt to dry. On placing it back in my camera it worked fine !!!!!

I presume it washed all the pictures off as well! Interesting way of reformatting it Wink
Ben
NikLG e2
9 1.7k England
20 Sep 2008 10:35AM
I have washed a few in my time. Used to put them in that little pocket that you get on jeans and then forget they were there...
They have always seemed to survive....
BubbaG2000 e2
7 767 1
20 Sep 2008 12:09PM
It's "dirty" water (salty, sugary, soapy) that messes up electronics. As long as you rinse it properly (I assume you had a rinse cycle!) and dry it thoroughly anything should work! Like my phone being submerged in red wine. Good times....
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2008 12:12PM
There is a longer term problem with what you have done realting to the silicon, but in the short term they should be OK. Remeber they were unpowered during the wash and that will help, as the rinse will have helped.
rowarrior e2
7 4.4k 9 Scotland
20 Sep 2008 5:40PM
Just don't stick it throught the tumble dryer though... Wink
21 Sep 2008 12:20AM

Quote:There is a longer term problem with what you have done relating to the silicon,

Well, I suppose it will all come out in the wash!!! Wink

Depends what deposits have been left behind, I guess.

(I thought aqueous cleaning was out of date now?).
jas

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.