Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Compact Flash Cards are Sandisk the best ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
pulsar69
pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2013 - 8:38 PM

In the market for a new card which will be used mainly for weddings so reliability is very important more so than speed, have always used Sandisk with no issues at all but have noticed a lot more makes now with Kingston Lexar Transcend etc all slightly cheaper for similar specs. Anyone ever had any issues or can vouch for particular makes of card ?

Card will be used in 5Dmk3 for weddings not for video and only occasional burst shooting

thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Apr 2013 - 8:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2013 - 8:46 PM

I've used most makes from day one and I can't remember ever having one die on me.

paulcookphotography

Personally i've never had a problem with any of my memory cards (I mostly stick to Sandisk and Transcend, but have also used Kingston and various others from time to time). As the digital camera boom took off and i was working in Jessops and later in Calumet, we did see some corrupted cards return, but to be honest, they became fewer and fewer as the years wet on and the cost of replacement went down.

I think these days if you are sticking to a known brand and performance rating, you wont go far wrong wither way

cuffit
cuffit  7160 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2013 - 9:08 PM

I started using digital cameras in 2005 and have always used SanDisk (Extreme 111) although I am not sure why I started using them in the first place; I probably saw someone else use them. I have just bought 2 8Gb cards to the collection which have a speed of transfer of 60MB/s which I use in a Canon 7D. I have never had any problems and still use all the cards I have on a regular basis without any hitch in performance. I cannot say they are better or worse than any other given my choice, but they have been avery reliable and decently priced product for me.

Chris

elowes
elowes  92830 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Apr 2013 - 9:12 PM

The only problem I know is a CF card which jammed in a Canon 20D. Probably a camera fault rather than the card!! I know of cheap (ish) CF cards bought in my 300D days and passed on which are still going strong today.
Sandisk is my usual choice these days but CF in general is probably the most expensive cards. Why?

Last Modified By elowes at 30 Apr 2013 - 9:15 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat  1014201 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2013 - 9:16 PM

I have used Lexar Professional and various models of Sandisk cards, and never had a problem with any of them. However, I now use Sandisk Extreme Pro exclusively, they make a huge difference in the OM-D speedwise. Also, they are waterproof, heat resistant, cold resistant, shock resistant, immune to those scanners at airports, and so on. The last one I bought I got from Hong Kong on ebay for $51.00, free shipping, 32gb. Here's a link if you'd like to check it out Memory Partner

Caution: When ordering items such as cards, I always add a note stating that if it is a fake copy, I will return it and advise ebay. Sometimes they've sent me 2.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 30 Apr 2013 - 9:17 PM
edtaylor
edtaylor  2104 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Apr 2013 - 9:18 PM

I use SanDisk or lexar now. The only make I ever had trouble with was Fuji. I would never use their things again.

Buchephalus
30 Apr 2013 - 9:45 PM

Never had any problems with Sandisk or Lexar, I've had a few problems with 3 Kingston 16 GB 133x, 1 Kingston 32Gb 300x and 1 Kingston 32Gb 600X. First 3 all new, locked the camera up at a wedding when the preview came on (Canon EOS 1Dsmk2) and wouldn't let me switch the camera off (preview image was still on the back of the camera), it was getting a wee bit toasty as well. Had to take the battery out. Luckily I was only testing out the cards during the wedding breakfast, so no important shots were taken. The 2 32Gb cards were replaced recently by Kingston because they didn't work on a Nikon D800. I kept getting the message that the cards weren't supported. I should add that all the compact flash cards were replaced promptly by Kingston and I've never had any bother with them since. Even with all the bother I would still use their products and still doSmile

pulsar69
30 Apr 2013 - 10:30 PM

thank you all, the consensus seems to be that all cards are now similarly as good , yet there is still a price gap , its odd but its memory in a plastic case ! how much difference can their really be between a 50 card and an identical spec 80 card from another manufacturer ? Is it like many things a great marketing stunt to have us all believe cheaper cards will fail or is their a technical difference that can explain the pricing ?

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014201 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2013 - 10:38 PM

I don't think there's any point in spending the money if you think you'll only need the cards for general purpose. The price goes up with speed and durability, which are not required by everybody. Until I got an Olympus OM-D I used whatever was handy, not so now.

franken
franken e2 Member 112914 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2013 - 10:49 PM

I've used several brands and have never had a problem.

I've also been using a few branded as 7dayshop com for about a year or so and they also appear to be fine.

ken

pulsar69
30 Apr 2013 - 10:59 PM

On ebay i can get a 32gb transcend card for 30 quid , or the equivalent sandisk card for 70 quid would you personally be happy using a transcend for a wedding ? are they just a good for half the price ?

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2013 - 11:03 PM

They will have photos on them at the end of the day but what makes a wedding any different.

I would reckon that the biggest mistake that photographers make....if they are worried about corrupted cards.....is to use large capacity cards. A corrupted 32gb card has lost more images than a corrupted 8gb card.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2013 - 11:13 PM

I use Integral 16GB cards and have found them no different from Sandisk. Probably all made in the same factory anyway! Wink

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111064 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2013 - 6:27 AM

if you use the cards you have for weddings you make a few bob so why do you want to buy cheaper ones ?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.