Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Compact Flash Cards are Sandisk the best ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
pulsar69
pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2013 - 7:20 AM

Quote: If you use the cards you have for weddings you make a few bob so why do you want to buy cheaper ones ?

The question is ' for what reason would i want to spend more on something that is the same ? "

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 May 2013 - 7:20 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pulsar69
1 May 2013 - 7:26 AM

Quote: They will have photos on them at the end of the day but what makes a wedding any different.

I would reckon that the biggest mistake that photographers make....if they are worried about corrupted cards.....is to use large capacity cards. A corrupted 32gb card has lost more images than a corrupted 8gb card.

What makes a wedding different is that it is likely to end up in a huge insurance claim and possibly in this day and age negative publicity ! , I certainly agree with you on the card size , there are advantages to having more cards ie lost data. However any data lost in a chunk is going to cause a problem and having to change cards 4 times during the day instead of twice is just one more logistic to add to the proceedings.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96104 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2013 - 7:32 AM

Quote: A corrupted 32gb card has lost more images than a corrupted 8gb card.

And screwing up the processing of 4 films in a Jobo Tank loses more images than processing one film at a time, but it did save a bit of time if everything went OK ! !

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014210 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2013 - 7:48 AM

I accidently deleted about 800 photos off one of my Sandisk Extreme Pro cards, and got them all back with the free program that came with the cards, including almost every shot I ever put on the card.

This is just me, here's what I would do; get the best I can find at a reasonable price, considering the durability, and speed; who knows where our photography will take us? It's a good investment imo, because they'll serve you for a lifetime.

alansnap
alansnap e2 Member 10511 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2013 - 9:25 AM

I tend to use Sandisk, but they may not be the best anymore. Advanced Photography has a review in this month's edition - go and have a look.
Alan

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2013 - 9:35 AM

Buying a cheaper, potentially 'clone' card from ebay to run your business on would i think be a risk.

For Cards and Batteries i never buy the cheapest as the image is the most important thing.

I've had the odd CF & SD card not write properly a few times and occasion read failures in the laptop slot, a dedicated reader was
OK. The fails were transcend so I avoid them now but that was 3 years ago.

Sansung, Lexar and Sandisk are my trusted ones, I'll always buy faster ones than i ever expect to use and keep them small - 8 or 16G so i lose less if ever one completely fails as mentioned above.

With such a good camera, it seems a false economy to buy cheap cards - i've even heard of some buying a new card for each event as a permanent backup as well.

pulsar69
1 May 2013 - 9:42 AM

I agree buying a potentially clone card is a risk , last time i purchased from ebay i actually emailed sandisk the seller and serial from the card and they verified it so that risk can be negotiated if done properly and I agree i never buy the cheapest either , BUT there comes a time when you have to ask yourself if you are falling for the marketing hype and there can be something just as good which does the job exactly the same for a lesser price ? in which case why would you pay more ? Going to have a look at the AP mag as suggested and see what they have to say , a Transcend card seems also to be a good option and faster then sandisk for the price ..

It should be noted too that i am using a Canon 5D3 with an sd card in slot 2 as a backup so should something completely fail i should not be lost unless both cards go at once , and even then we use two photographers and are fully insured.

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 1 May 2013 - 9:43 AM
thewilliam
1 May 2013 - 1:53 PM

I read somewhere that over half of the cards labelled Sandisk or Lexar are fakes.

For some time now, I've bought Delkin, Kingston or Transcend and they've been fine. My very first cards were 640MB Delkin and they're still in use something over a decade later when I need to take just a few pix. File sizes have grown somewhat!

In the studio, card speed doesn't seem to matter, perhaps because my cameras have a large buffer and I shoot single frames. A sports photographer would tell a different story.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85748 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2013 - 7:22 PM

I have used and abused Sandisk cards for years and not one problem - yetWink

keithh
keithh  1022559 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2013 - 8:03 PM

Quote: having to change cards 4 times during the day instead of twice is just one more logistic to add to the proceedings.

I can feel a whole new wedding photographer blog brewing or just pretend I didn't read the above quote. Wink

pulsar69
1 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

Quote: having to change cards 4 times during the day instead of twice is just one more logistic to add to the proceedings.

I can feel a whole new wedding photographer blog brewing or just pretend I didn't read the above quote. Wink

Wedding photography happens to be a lot more taxing than landscape photography so to be able to comment you need to be experienced at both which i am , are you ?

keithh
keithh  1022559 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

Very. Wink

In fact very, very.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139368 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

Goodness me how the mighty are fallen! Grin Wink

pulsar69
1 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

I guess then Keith you should change your level from 'beginner' and let us see some of your more taxing work ?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214399 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

Quote: In the market for a new card which will be used mainly for weddings so reliability is very important more so than speed

How about selling off you expensive glass and replacing them with a couple of lensbabys, you will then have loads and loads of spare change left for cards Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.