Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Compact Flash data recovery

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Spartan319
    Spartan319  10 United Kingdom
    20 Jul 2006 - 3:34 PM

Does anybody know of a way of recovering data from a compact flash card,or of a company that could help, as I took a load of pictures on my 256Mb card and after taking the last picture of an afternoons session my fuji F602z screen came up with a message saying "card not initialised"
    I had been checking my pictures prior to that to make sure all was ok and had no problems, now some once in a lifetime pictures are unobtainable.
    when I checked the card on the reader when I returned home it showed no memory usage and wanted me to format the card, this I did not do as any thing still on the card would have been lost.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Jul 2006 - 3:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sidaorb
    sidaorb  83857 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jul 2006 - 3:36 PM

What make of card is it? If it is Lexar they offer a data recovery service themselves.

Carl

Spartan319
    20 Jul 2006 - 3:40 PM

Its a Jenoptik 256Mb Card

rletham
    rletham  10890 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Jul 2006 - 3:42 PM

Have you tried putting the card into a card reader and seeing if you can extract the data to a computer? My Lexar cards actually came with a free piece of software to do exactly that (extract lost data) I think (not sure as I've never had to use it yet touch wood.

I do make a habit of shooting on multiple cards when I am shooting once in a lifetime type stuff though. When my wife and I do weddings, we change our memory cards every hour (reminded by a watch bleep) this ensures that even if we were unfortunate to have a card go faulty on us, at least we don't lose all the photographs. Worth thinking about in the future if you are ever in the same "one-time-only" situation.

theorderingone
    20 Jul 2006 - 3:49 PM

There are programs available that can help recover lost data. So long as the card hasn't been overwritten, or even worse, formatted then you can normally retrieve most of your images.

Lexar bundle a package called Image Rescue with their pro cards, this cost about 20 on its own, which isn't much to pay if the images are once in a lifetimers.

There are some free solutions here but I've never tried any of these, so I can't vouch for their effectiveness.

Once you've recovered the data, format the card in your camera and it should be as good as new.

I hope this helps, good luck.

AnthonyM
    AnthonyM  9388 forum posts United States2 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jul 2006 - 3:55 PM

Look on the internet. You should be able to find quite a few restore programs.

I have used "Photo Rescue" by Datarescue some time ago and it worked great! As long as you havent taken any new photos or reformated the card, there is a good chance most if not all can be recovered.

I havent upgraded since 2002, but I found it worth the US$30 for getting my photos back.

MikeA
    MikeA  91173 forum posts England
    20 Jul 2006 - 3:58 PM

Found this freebee was useful, if a little slow, "PC inspector"
    from www.covar.de

MikeA.

kevin_j
    kevin_j  1030 forum posts
    20 Jul 2006 - 5:41 PM

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

Think that's the one Mike is referring to. I've had it recover photos on a CF card that were taken 9 months before the card had a problem.

Spartan319
    20 Jul 2006 - 6:05 PM

Many thanks for your posts, I have found some software on the net for a princely sum of 25 which managed to recover the files in question, now all safely saved on my pc and getting ready for burning on disk. Its called CardRecovery gives you a free trial first so you can see what it can recover before signing up for full software.
    Did the trick and even found some other pictures that I lost in 2002 though luckily for me nothing important

imagegrill
    20 Jul 2006 - 8:13 PM

Just trying out that PC Inspector. Mostly seesm to work ok, but some JPG's comeback with an unable to open as the is no header file.
    Is there any way to get round this?
    I am using Irfanview to view the images (ok, so going the free route at the moment). Will try other viewers but I suspect it will be the same issue.

Paui

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.