Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Compact or Bridge for 200?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MrGoatsmilk
29 May 2012 - 2:02 PM

I have been asked by a friend which compact for up to 200 is worth buying. I rarely use a compact as I tend to carry a Dslr or when I do I use my wifes Panasonic TZ8. So I thought where better to ask than here...

Is there anything out there for that price that handles like the TZ8 I imagine they would be better as the TZ8 is a few years old now, but still a great camera.

He has been looking at the Nikon Coolpix L120 but is not fussed be it a bridge camera or compact

It's going to be used for the normal holiday snaps etc but also needs to be able to have low noise for indoor use inc video recording.

Thanks for any help

Stu

Last Modified By MrGoatsmilk at 29 May 2012 - 2:06 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 May 2012 - 2:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB
KevSB  101403 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
29 May 2012 - 4:13 PM

Intrested in the responce here stu, as im in the market for a small pocket camera, There seems to be thousends out there even after ticking all my wants off which include Raw.hd vid and low noise still unsure what is the best value for money out there, 150-250 for me.
and everything your asking applys, prefer intrigal lenses as i dont want to carry add ons.

collywobles
29 May 2012 - 5:25 PM

There is a method of analysis that enables you to decide which camera (or anything else) to choose when you have a number of choices.

a) You list your wants down the left hand column and give them a rating how important they are.
b) List the shortlist across the top (ie the cameras you are considering.
c) Now rate each column as to how well it meets your criteria.
d) total the columns and see how they compare against your wants column.

Its not science but it does focus on the criteria you 'want'

Example

Camera Wants Sony Canon Nikon Fuji

Size 5 4 5 4 8
Zoom 8 3 6 8 7
Pixels 12 10 14 10 9
Total 25 17 25 22 24

So in this example the Canon & the Fuji come closest to your criteria. I can take this further by including price and then make an evaluation of the 'best value' but the above should give you an example how to go about it.

This technique is one I developed for a major international company and improved component value.

I note that the EPZ software is deleting the column spaces so bear that in mind when looking at the data. So the first number column under wants is 5,8,12,25

Last Modified By collywobles at 29 May 2012 - 5:27 PM
MrGoatsmilk
29 May 2012 - 7:23 PM

Thanks collywobles I will give that a go when I'm looking at stuff, I've tried lists of likes and dislikes before.

Could do with some recommendations of any compact or bridge camera users for the price range,

Thanks again stu

KevSB
29 May 2012 - 7:56 PM

Wex have some cashback offers stu on campacts about to end soon

MrGoatsmilk
29 May 2012 - 7:57 PM

Campacts you say, you seem to know my mate well lol.

I shall let him know, cheers Kev

KevSB
29 May 2012 - 8:13 PM

compacts lol, Seems to be a problem Ive had in recent years, write something, looks fine then when I look later, totally Misspelled. I wont lose sleep over it tbh, its a pain more so on here as you cannot edit later lol. Too bloody old to go back to school and learn new tricks.

MrGoatsmilk
29 May 2012 - 8:15 PM

I'm forever doing the same, nice to see someone else at it too

collywobles
30 May 2012 - 7:43 AM

Quote: Could do with some recommendations of any compact or bridge camera users for the price range,

Most compacts or bridge cameras in your price range are good especially if you stick with the big brands, Lumix always come out well in tests, although I swear by Canon.

Quote: Seems to be a problem Ive had in recent years, write something, looks fine then when I look later, totally Misspelled. I wont lose sleep over it tbh, its a pain more so on here as you cannot edit later lol. Too bloody old to go back to school and learn new tricks.

Its normally a finger - wrong key thats the problem - not your spelling - hippans tewo mi alkl thue tiome (8o)

Last Modified By collywobles at 30 May 2012 - 7:46 AM
KevSB
30 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

I Did a test recently and placed in th top 10 percent of being able to read mixed up words without loss of speed, And that im told is the problem, like you say I write fast, miss key act but my brain does not register the error as i can read it correctly.

On the camera, Obvously not a reccomendation based on use but trawling the web came up with the following and just ordered one, Wex was one of best prices plus the half price SD card, has full hd movie, raw and jpeg so fits my needs as i have my 5d for more serious pictures.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-fuji-finepix-f660-exr-red-digital-camera/p1528881

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7529 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
30 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

I have a Lumix LX5, image quality in RAW shots is excellent, thoroughly recommend it especially if you have larger hands when the Canon S100 is a bit tricky to hold.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
30 May 2012 - 1:00 PM

Quote: Is there anything out there for that price that handles like the TZ8

My Canon Ixus 230 HS replaced my TZ10. Although smaller, I find the handling fine.

KevSB
30 May 2012 - 6:02 PM

just an update on what i ordered, It was showing as out of stock and Back orders only, then i noticed the black version did not say it did raw, I enquired and after checking with fuji no one is sure if it has raw or not yet wex website says it does, very confused.

Anyway they pulled tho order off the truck and i have upgraded to the next one at 249 quid. which they tell me does have raw, site has been amended to reflect this

Last Modified By KevSB at 30 May 2012 - 6:03 PM
ColetteK
ColetteK  2 Ireland
3 Jun 2012 - 2:56 PM

There's a website called simplyelectronics, if you key in your information it comes up with 3 suitable cameras. It's very quick and the site is also reasonable, it might help your friend. Best of luck.

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/cameraadvisor.php

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 3 Jun 2012 - 8:35 PM
LoicfromFrance
13 Jun 2012 - 1:05 PM

I have discover the general electric new compact: I think with this brand for 150, you have the quality normaly at 300 and upper with other brands...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.