Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Compacts that can sync flash with high shutter speeds

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
21 Oct 2012 1:40AM
I`m trying to find a list of high end compacts that can Sync and fire external flash at any shutter speed.

My x10 works with all shutter speeds up to and including 1/4000 sec, I`m sure others can as well.

Any ideas.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sooty_1 e2
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2012 7:05PM
If you use a slave cell, you can use the internal flash as a trigger. If you think the flash is too bright, tape some tissue over it. The slaves will still pick up the light pulse.

Nick
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
21 Oct 2012 7:10PM
Thanks, but not sure if you understood my question Smile

I know the x100, x10 and zx1- and 2 can sync at any speed, its not something that you generally see on spec sheets.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
21 Oct 2012 8:02PM
I am assuming, Paul, that any compacts that can do this will use a process similar to that of dSLR cameras - i.e. at shutter speeds above the normal maximum sync speed, you have to use a flash mode that, in effect, fires a burst of very short flashes.

The main disadvantage of this process is that, the faster your shutter speed (OK - I know that "shutter speed" is a totally erroneous term, but everyone uses it), the lower the amount of light captured from your flash.

For example, with my Nikon D800, the Auto-FP flash mode gives me almost full power at a shutter speed of 1/320th but I am down to quarter power at 1/1000 and one-sixteenth of full power at 1/4000.

I assume that the same sort of rapid power reduction will apply to any compacts with a similar flash mode.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
21 Oct 2012 8:09PM

Quote:I am assuming, Paul, that any compacts that can do this will use a process similar to that of dSLR cameras - i.e. at shutter speeds above the normal maximum sync speed, you have to use a flash mode that, in effect, fires a burst of very short flashes

No looking for a list of decent compacts that use leaf shutters and will sync any non dedicated flash including studio lighting at any speed.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
22 Oct 2012 9:11AM
Sorry Paul. Misunderstood your question. Can't help I'm afraid.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
23 Oct 2012 12:17AM
Thanks, somehow I don`t think I`m going to get many responses Smile
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
23 Oct 2012 9:42AM
Canon G9 will, and others in the G series
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
23 Oct 2012 11:49AM
I figured some of the Canons can.

So far I know the X10, x100, xz-1 and xz-2 all can and at any speed, but some wireless triggers will restrict things a bit, a dumb cable works fine for me.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.