Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Compacts that can sync flash with high shutter speeds

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315630 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Oct 2012 - 1:40 AM

I`m trying to find a list of high end compacts that can Sync and fire external flash at any shutter speed.

My x10 works with all shutter speeds up to and including 1/4000 sec, I`m sure others can as well.

Any ideas.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Oct 2012 - 1:40 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41216 forum posts United Kingdom200 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Oct 2012 - 7:05 PM

If you use a slave cell, you can use the internal flash as a trigger. If you think the flash is too bright, tape some tissue over it. The slaves will still pick up the light pulse.

Nick

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315630 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Oct 2012 - 7:10 PM

Thanks, but not sure if you understood my question Smile

I know the x100, x10 and zx1- and 2 can sync at any speed, its not something that you generally see on spec sheets.

User_Removed
    21 Oct 2012 - 8:02 PM

I am assuming, Paul, that any compacts that can do this will use a process similar to that of dSLR cameras - i.e. at shutter speeds above the normal maximum sync speed, you have to use a flash mode that, in effect, fires a burst of very short flashes.

The main disadvantage of this process is that, the faster your shutter speed (OK - I know that "shutter speed" is a totally erroneous term, but everyone uses it), the lower the amount of light captured from your flash.

For example, with my Nikon D800, the Auto-FP flash mode gives me almost full power at a shutter speed of 1/320th but I am down to quarter power at 1/1000 and one-sixteenth of full power at 1/4000.

I assume that the same sort of rapid power reduction will apply to any compacts with a similar flash mode.

Paul Morgan
    21 Oct 2012 - 8:09 PM

Quote: I am assuming, Paul, that any compacts that can do this will use a process similar to that of dSLR cameras - i.e. at shutter speeds above the normal maximum sync speed, you have to use a flash mode that, in effect, fires a burst of very short flashes

No looking for a list of decent compacts that use leaf shutters and will sync any non dedicated flash including studio lighting at any speed.

User_Removed
    22 Oct 2012 - 9:11 AM

Sorry Paul. Misunderstood your question. Can't help I'm afraid.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 22 Oct 2012 - 9:12 AM
    Paul Morgan
    23 Oct 2012 - 12:17 AM

Thanks, somehow I don`t think I`m going to get many responses Smile

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2012 - 9:42 AM

Canon G9 will, and others in the G series

Last Modified By Pete at 23 Oct 2012 - 9:45 AM
    Paul Morgan
    23 Oct 2012 - 11:49 AM

I figured some of the Canons can.

So far I know the X10, x100, xz-1 and xz-2 all can and at any speed, but some wireless triggers will restrict things a bit, a dumb cable works fine for me.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.