Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Comparing Canon/Nikon to other comparable manufatcurers lenses

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mikemarita
    11 Oct 2012 - 4:22 PM

I have had to accept that due to a continuing spinal problem that I will have to give thought to the weight of equipment when I purchase my next camera system which will almost certainly be either Canon or Nikon. Health problems have unfortunately delayed this decision already by several months. I am taking the time to do as much research as possible.

I wondered whether most people do stick to original manufacturers lenses or choose a mixture of both for a particular reason? Are there lenses from Sigma or Tamron for example which are better than the Canon/Nikon equivalent for the price? I have started to gather weights of all the available equpment to help with my decision. I still have an open mind on what level of camera to purchase and hope to join a club, do a course and get back into photography again purely for the fun factor.

I took your advice some time ago and got a professional to take photographs for our Florida villa which we rent out and that proved to be a very wise move so thatnks for that.

Best wishes Mike

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Oct 2012 - 4:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Campervanman
    Campervanman e2 Member 6714 forum postsCampervanman vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2012 - 4:38 PM

If weight is a major consideration perhaps you should consider the Olympus O-MD.

mikehit
    mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2012 - 4:39 PM

Traditionally, the CaNikon lenses have better image stabilisation and better (quicker, more silent) AF than third-party lenses. However, over recent years, third party lenses have closed the gap.
    Some lenses from Tamron are an excellent alternative to the Canon (and probably Nikon) lens: the 17-50 f2.8 for example or the Sigma 150-500. So with judicious buying you can get a killer set of 3rd party gear.
    In most cases, to notice significantly superior sharpness from the OM stable, you need to be doing all you can such as use a tripod, mirror lock up etc otherwise handling artefacts will probably mask any differences (I am sure some will disagree with that).
    I prefer to by Canon if I can but can think of some 3rd party lenses I would happily have bought if I could not afford Canon.

If spinal problems are an issue my first sugestion would be Olympus OM-D - I have justbought the Panasonic GX-1 and if it was not for a desire to photo birds in flight, I could see myself ditching the 7D etc.

User_Removed
    11 Oct 2012 - 5:03 PM

Quote: If weight is a major consideration perhaps you should consider the Olympus O-MD.

Very much so.

Much lighter than a dSLR, especially if three or four lenses are also carried, almost as good image quality (99.99% of photographers would never notice the difference if the photographs are merely going to be viewed on a computer monitor or printed up to A4 size) and a great deal of fun.

thewilliam
    11 Oct 2012 - 6:10 PM

I have just a couple of third-party lenses, chosen because I reckoned that they're better than their Nikon equivalents: the Zeiss 100mm Makro Planar and the Voigtlander 58mm.

In most cases, the marque lenses keep their value better. Manual-focus Nikon lenses that are 30 or 40 years old still fetch respectable prices on eBay. Canon keeps changing its lens-mount so their MF lenses don't seem to do as well.

I keep my old AIS lenses because they're smaller and lighter than the AF equivalents with performance that's every bit as good.

parallax
    parallax e2 Member 5114 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
    11 Oct 2012 - 6:31 PM

I too have suffered with spinal problems, specifically my L2 disc has caused me raging sciatica, so I have to be very careful carrying gear. The new Canon 6D looks promising as a lighter and more compact DSLR.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/17/canon-eos-6d-hands-on/

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315208 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2012 - 8:07 PM

Quote: If weight is a major consideration perhaps you should consider the Olympus O-MD

Its what I use, but you don`t have to restrict yourself, there`s plenty of other very capable CSC`s.

I found going CSC to be very beneficial, I`ve got an old shoulder problem that`s been getting worse, weight is a huge factor.

Newdevonian
    11 Oct 2012 - 8:29 PM

Consider prime lenses. My latest 35mm F1.8 standard lens weighs just 200 grams or around 7 ounces, Look at the focal lengths you have used in the past from your Exif data. If you mainly use a zoom at one particular magnification, then buy the prime equivalent.
    A Nikon 3200 plus 35mm F1.8 weighs only 700grams, that includes the battery.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.