Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Comparing Canon/Nikon to other comparable manufatcurers lenses

mikemarita 7 35 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 4:22PM
I have had to accept that due to a continuing spinal problem that I will have to give thought to the weight of equipment when I purchase my next camera system which will almost certainly be either Canon or Nikon. Health problems have unfortunately delayed this decision already by several months. I am taking the time to do as much research as possible.

I wondered whether most people do stick to original manufacturers lenses or choose a mixture of both for a particular reason? Are there lenses from Sigma or Tamron for example which are better than the Canon/Nikon equivalent for the price? I have started to gather weights of all the available equpment to help with my decision. I still have an open mind on what level of camera to purchase and hope to join a club, do a course and get back into photography again purely for the fun factor.

I took your advice some time ago and got a professional to take photographs for our Florida villa which we rent out and that proved to be a very wise move so thatnks for that.

Best wishes Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Campervanman e2
7 717 1 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 4:38PM
If weight is a major consideration perhaps you should consider the Olympus O-MD.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 4:39PM
Traditionally, the CaNikon lenses have better image stabilisation and better (quicker, more silent) AF than third-party lenses. However, over recent years, third party lenses have closed the gap.
Some lenses from Tamron are an excellent alternative to the Canon (and probably Nikon) lens: the 17-50 f2.8 for example or the Sigma 150-500. So with judicious buying you can get a killer set of 3rd party gear.
In most cases, to notice significantly superior sharpness from the OM stable, you need to be doing all you can such as use a tripod, mirror lock up etc otherwise handling artefacts will probably mask any differences (I am sure some will disagree with that).
I prefer to by Canon if I can but can think of some 3rd party lenses I would happily have bought if I could not afford Canon.

If spinal problems are an issue my first sugestion would be Olympus OM-D - I have justbought the Panasonic GX-1 and if it was not for a desire to photo birds in flight, I could see myself ditching the 7D etc.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
11 Oct 2012 5:03PM

Quote:If weight is a major consideration perhaps you should consider the Olympus O-MD.

Very much so.

Much lighter than a dSLR, especially if three or four lenses are also carried, almost as good image quality (99.99% of photographers would never notice the difference if the photographs are merely going to be viewed on a computer monitor or printed up to A4 size) and a great deal of fun.
thewilliam 6 4.8k
11 Oct 2012 6:10PM
I have just a couple of third-party lenses, chosen because I reckoned that they're better than their Nikon equivalents: the Zeiss 100mm Makro Planar and the Voigtlander 58mm.

In most cases, the marque lenses keep their value better. Manual-focus Nikon lenses that are 30 or 40 years old still fetch respectable prices on eBay. Canon keeps changing its lens-mount so their MF lenses don't seem to do as well.

I keep my old AIS lenses because they're smaller and lighter than the AF equivalents with performance that's every bit as good.
parallax e2
5 121 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 6:31PM
I too have suffered with spinal problems, specifically my L2 disc has caused me raging sciatica, so I have to be very careful carrying gear. The new Canon 6D looks promising as a lighter and more compact DSLR.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/17/canon-eos-6d-hands-on/
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
11 Oct 2012 8:07PM

Quote:If weight is a major consideration perhaps you should consider the Olympus O-MD

Its what I use, but you don`t have to restrict yourself, there`s plenty of other very capable CSC`s.

I found going CSC to be very beneficial, I`ve got an old shoulder problem that`s been getting worse, weight is a huge factor.
Newdevonian 2 452 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 8:29PM
Consider prime lenses. My latest 35mm F1.8 standard lens weighs just 200 grams or around 7 ounces, Look at the focal lengths you have used in the past from your Exif data. If you mainly use a zoom at one particular magnification, then buy the prime equivalent.
A Nikon 3200 plus 35mm F1.8 weighs only 700grams, that includes the battery.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.