Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Comparisons

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    tamasalucy
    1 Sep 2013 - 10:58 AM

I have just recently posted several photos of a migrant Hawker dragon fly. There is another post by Fentiger of a migrant hawker Dragon fly. All of the photos are excellent but one has won lots of awards while the others have not achieved the success of Fentiger's photo. Could anyone explain to me how the judges or Editors compare and make there decisions to award or not award.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Sep 2013 - 10:58 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KarenFB
    KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84257 forum postsKarenFB vcard England162 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Sep 2013 - 11:19 AM

Be very careful when comparing your work with someone else's - sometimes the truth (as others see it) can hurt!!

When I compared the two, 'Fentiger' (I don't really like discussing another photographer's work in the forum!) has captured the whole of his insect in frame with a wonderful out of focus background. Your's on the other hand has had its tail nipped off and it looks as if you have given it a 180 deg rotation (the catchlight in its eye gives this away). For me personally, it looks un-natural for it to have its tail going up in the air.

I prefer the colours and lighting on your's, but that is down to personal taste and other people's opinion may differ.

As long as you are enjoying your photography, what does it matter if someone else has more clicks then you - it's 'art', and as such no one will agree!

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43691 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Sep 2013 - 11:24 AM

The image you refer to - this one I believe - has received a Readers Choice award. This simply means that 30 people have given it a vote.
    It has also received a Guest Editor Award. Members can apply to be the Guest Editor of the week. That person looks at all images uploaded in the space of one week and awards as many or as few awards as he/she sees fit. There is a thread on the GE here.

Here are the guidelines for Guest Editors:

Quote: Look through all the photos uploaded to the gallery in your week of appointment. With your special button click ones you think deserve an award - be selective only choose the very best and do not award friends / favourite genres unless they also genuinely deserve an award. The idea is your Awarded photos should be the very best pictures uploaded to ePHOTOzine - no bias please.

Why the GE chooses one image and not another is down to that person's personal thoughts about the images. Just as all awarded images are.

As we all know, photography is a very subjective subject, and all decisions can questioned, agreed with or disagreed with.

Hope this was what you had in mind when asking the question...

Malc

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72151 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Sep 2013 - 12:43 PM

Quote: I have just recently posted several photos of a migrant Hawker dragon fly. There is another post by Fentiger of a migrant hawker Dragon fly. All of the photos are excellent but one has won lots of awards while the others have not achieved the success of Fentiger's photo. Could anyone explain to me how the judges or Editors compare and make there decisions to award or not award.

Time to raise your game!
    Create an environment where you can capture your subject detail fully, and with a clear, out-of-focus background.

Also worth considering that some photographers have more people following their work, and as a result get more votes that way, regardless of the possibility that another image might be better, and get less votes.
    I'm not saying this is necessarily the case in this situation, just to bear it in mind Smile
    I tend to look at who votes and comments as significant, rather than the volume of votes gained.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.